D800/E or D600

They are not the same...

Base ISO is a separate thing from having a lower max shutter speed.

Just think of it this way, that an exposure of ISO200, 1/100s, F2.8 on D700 will also expose at ISO200, 1/100s. F2.8 on D600.

The advantage a lower base native ISO gives you, is that you can shoot at the best quality (lowest base native ISO) and get a longer exposure on a D600 than a D700. This advantage is best when shooting landscapes.

No doubt when shooting very bright scenes, you can go down to ISO100, but in a pinch D700 can also go down to ISO100... But you can never go 1/8000 on a D600.

But seriously, I have more of an issue with the max sync speed of D600 than its max shutter speed.

Unless you frequently do very high speed photography, most ppl's concern is for shooting large aperture on bright daylight. In this sense, on D600 you can just drop to its lowest ISO, which is 1 stop lower than D700 & you will be able to use the same aperture as u would on a D700 at 1/8000.

Last edited:
to me, the comparison is more like a 3500cc vs 2400cc Toyota Harrier(sorry, Harrier pop-up in my mind when I viewing the thread, no other reason. maybe is due to I keep thinking which model to go for? =P).

If you always make large print (driving at high speed), don't mind to upgrade your memory bank, upgrade to a better computer (higher fuel consumption, higher road-tax and insurance) and always craving for more pixels (big cc), D800E is clear choice. Otherwise, D600 will be a practical day to day use camera. Save the price difference for better lens perhaps?

Personally I'm using D800E.

from now i really feels that D700 in $1490 can be grab in time..

but don't look at the wrong selling price and just like the D7000 & Kit.

Last edited:
Unless you frequently do very high speed photography, most ppl's concern is for shooting large aperture on bright daylight. In this sense, on D600 you can just drop to its lowest ISO, which is 1 stop lower than D700 & you will be able to use the same aperture as u would on a D700 at 1/8000.

Like I mentioned, D700 you can go Lo1 which is also ISO 100. You lose a little in details which can only be seen when pixel peeping but unnoticeable when viewing the picture as a whole. So D700 can still get the shot. But when a high shutter speed is needed the physical limitation is there for the D600. And the biggest problem for D600 is actually the max sync speed at 1/200 for people who shoot strobes or off camera flash.

So it will be wise for consumers to look closely at the specs and know what the camera is not suitable for. And if they want to do strobing etc in the future, D600 might not be the best choice.

from now i really feels that D700 in $1490 can be grab in time..

but don't look at the wrong selling price and just like the D7000 & Kit.

It's really incredible that soon as the D600 arrive the D700 suddenly lose it's worthyness as a great cam just like that which is not logical. Luckily for me I sold it earlier to a great bro who still treasure it as much as it deserved.

It's really incredible that soon as the D600 arrive the D700 suddenly lose it's worthyness as a great cam just like that which is not logical. Luckily for me I sold it earlier to a great bro who still treasure it as much as it deserved.

I am still holding on to mine... both D800/e and d600 are not for me for my kind of shooting.

henavs said:

Similarly on the d700 u can use a 1 stop ND filter in order to shoot at lowest iso 200 @ f2f.8

Took me a while to decide but I'm a sucker for details so the temptation was too hard to resist...

It really is dependent on how and what we shoot. most of the times I do not need the details... and the files are too much for me (or computer) to bear, especially when i process around 2000-4000 images at one go for each big event.

Like I mentioned, D700 you can go Lo1 which is also ISO 100. You lose a little in details which can only be seen when pixel peeping but unnoticeable when viewing the picture as a whole. So D700 can still get the shot. But when a high shutter speed is needed the physical limitation is there for the D600. And the biggest problem for D600 is actually the max sync speed at 1/200 for people who shoot strobes or off camera flash.

So it will be wise for consumers to look closely at the specs and know what the camera is not suitable for. And if they want to do strobing etc in the future, D600 might not be the best choice.

LOL, you dont get what I meant. On D600, you can lower down to ISO 50, how is it the same as D700? It is 1 whole stop lower than D700 lowest at ISO 100.

But of course, its easier to use ND filter.

Similarly on the d700 u can use a 1 stop ND filter in order to shoot at lowest iso 200 @ f2f.8

Yes, just use ND filter. Which is not as big deal as ppl make it to be.

henavs said:
LOL, you dont get what I meant. On D600, you can lower down to ISO 50, how is it the same as D700? It is 1 whole stop lower than D700 lowest at ISO 100.

But of course, its easier to use ND filter.

In daytime used F8 and above..for landscape shoot. ISO is depend you Lower down the shutter speed.

Last edited:
Well Seem like the D600 reached stores already overseas with Body only & kit package.
Waiting to hear about SG if we are going to be lucky as well.

And i'm wondering why they never had a release like that for D800 also hopefully along with the D600 shipement there's some D800 lol

GuessBoy said:
Well Seem like the D600 reached stores already overseas with Body only & kit package.

And i'm wondering why they never had a release like that for D800 also hopefully along with the D600 shipement there's some D800 lol

Anyone want to sell me the 24-85 VR? Lol.

Thailand made = D600 , D800 = Japan .... More production lines in Thailand due to cheaper labour and material cost...IMO

Thailand made = D600 , D800 = Japan .... More production lines in Thailand due to cheaper labour and material cost...IMO

Cheaper material cost? I doubt they source many parts from Thailand. The bulk will probably come from China anyway for both D600 and D800/E.

Cheaper material cost? I doubt they source many parts from Thailand. The bulk will probably come from China anyway for both D600 and D800/E.

But with the issue happening currently between china & japan seem like will be more difficult for Nikon to get parts from china.