D7000 users (Part 4)

Fudgecakes said:
Eh bro heard that there are certains charts you can use to check AF right? Where canny get one of those?

Please ignore this, double post, sorry

Last edited:
Fudgecakes said:
Eh bro heard that there are certains charts you can use to check AF right? Where canny get one of those?

Focusing chart, try to search here, Iirc there's a link to dl and there's instruction on how to use the chart

Last edited:
luckyorange said:
Focusing chart, try to search here, Iirc there's a link to dl and there's instruction on how to use the chart

Thanks bro

Just to check. Those who upgraded from 12mp cams like the D90, do you find that you can crop more? Is it much more?

cichlid said:
Just to check. Those who upgraded from 12mp cams like the D90, do you find that you can crop more? Is it much more?

I upgraded from 10.2MP D80. When I shoot macro, I realized that I can crop a lot than I used to be able to.

cichlid said:

I moved from a 6MP D70 to a D300s and now a D7000 is a stand-in.

Nope, I still don't crop much. In fact, I started shooting in Medium resolution since I begun using the D300s for all non-essential shots. For the D7000, I'm beginning to use Small. 9MP is still too much for casual shots.

Hi All,

Would like to seek your advise on the D7000 and appreciate the advice.

Anyone with experience on the performance of the D7000 on low light doing sports photography under zoom conditions? Can the camera capture effectively? I am deciding if the D7000 is for me.

Thks for the advice

Jan

janboyz said:
Hi All,

Anyone with experience on the performance of the D7000 on low light doing sports photography under zoom conditions? Can the camera capture effectively? I am deciding if the D7000 is for me.

Thks for the advice

Jan

The D7000 can produce pretty clean images up to ISO3200. However, how good it is in low light depend a lot on what lens you are using.

spree86 said:
The D7000 can produce pretty clean images up to ISO3200. However, how good it is in low light depend a lot on what lens you are using.

And how steady your hands are

spree86 said:
I am assuming handshake won't be a factor since he will be using fast shutter speed for sports.

True true. But if low lighting then fast primes also can't help him mah. Dof will be so shallow that the subject may have moved out of focus within the split second he full pressed the shutter button

janboyz said:
Hi All,

Thks for the advice

Jan

High ISO performance is part of the requirements.

The other portion is the auto focus module. The 3D matrix focus system works, in my opinion, but it needs to be paired with a good lens to ensure fast and accurate focusing.

Don't expect D3s / D4 kind of fast, but it's decent.

The buffer is probably it's weakest point. If you shoot in RAW, be prepared to have a jammed buffer.

The fps isn't that impressive (coming from a former D300s user), but I'd think you should get very decent shots too.

Noticed that pics taken from 18-105 zoom lens is producing dark edges on all corners, is this expected because of a cheapo lens ?

Wonder how hard the edges would be if I take 18-200 lens someday.

lotus80 said:
Noticed that pics taken from 18-105 zoom lens is producing dark edges on all corners, is this expected because of a cheapo lens ?

The optical quality of the 18-105 kit lens is actually much better than the 18-200.
I used to have the 18-200.

It's called vignetting or what some reviews sites call corner fall-off. Most review sites tests this when they do a review. Seem that the 18-200 has some vignetting but too serious.

Here's a discussion on it:

Flickr: Discussing Vignetting - is it just me? in Nikon 18-200 VR

U mean vignetting. Nope, not only cheapo lens will give u that, a pro grade lens. like a 70-200. also possess minor vignetting at wider appertures n various zoom length when on a FX body.

I upgraded from 10.2MP D80. When I shoot macro, I realized that I can crop a lot than I used to be able to.

I moved from a 6MP D70 to a D300s and now a D7000 is a stand-in.

Nope, I still don't crop much. In fact, I started shooting in Medium resolution since I begun using the D300s for all non-essential shots. For the D7000, I'm beginning to use Small. 9MP is still too much for casual shots.

I tend to crop quite a bit with the D7000. On the other hand, it's usually when I'm trying to shoot a tiny bird reasonably far away. :)

I have a question to ask d7000k user....if I choose the 9af point from the selection....how is the 9af points different from the 1af point?

Apparently from the top panel I can see that I have chosen 9 af points( 3 by 3)... But how come I still see one af point when looking through the view finder???

Its mostly indoor gym shots of my daughter which I pair it with my 80-200mm. Currently on a D70s and its grainy.

And how steady your hands are
I use a tripod to help and its much better

High ISO performance is part of the requirements.

The other portion is the auto focus module. The 3D matrix focus system works, in my opinion, but it needs to be paired with a good lens to ensure fast and accurate focusing.

Don't expect D3s / D4 kind of fast, but it's decent.

The buffer is probably it's weakest point. If you shoot in RAW, be prepared to have a jammed buffer.

The fps isn't that impressive (coming from a former D300s user), but I'd think you should get very decent shots too.

Was considering on a D700 or D7000 in all honesty. I now hv the 18-200mm, 35mm/1.8G and also the 50mm/1.8 in my arsenal.

Am in HK now so making the bold step

Thks to all for the advice again.

Jan

I have a question to ask d7000k user....if I choose the 9af point from the selection....how is the 9af points different from the 1af point?

Apparently from the top panel I can see that I have chosen 9 af points( 3 by 3)... But how come I still see one af point when looking through the view finder???

I suppose you're referring to "9 point dynamic-area AF", as opposed to 21 or 39. You still should only see the single selected AF point (the camera is considering the surrounding 8 points though, in case subject moves from selected point.

from Nikon manual:
In AF-A and AF-C focus modes, the camera will focus based on information from surrounding focus points if the subject briefly leaves the selected point. The number of focus points varies with the mode selected...