D600 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand from the manual. However if I fix it at 39 pts, then I don't need to adjust in any scenario. So what is the trade off if using 39 pts for portrait or still picture ? Slower focusing ?
Sometimes you would want to position your subject off center... or some place in the frame that is NOT covered by any of the 39 AF pts.

Also it's usually the center AF that's the most accurate of the lot so some would prefer to use center AF and do a focus-recompose (i do this 90%+ of the time when I was still on Canon 5D Mk2).

My experience was that my D600 AF was hunting and just wouldn't fire at all cos it couldnt find focus when I was trying to take some shots in a pub. I took shots without any problems with my D7000 before in the same place so I was actually thinking there was something wrong with my new camera. Its was only when I switched the focusing to manual that I could shoot with the new camera. Not happy.

yes, i have the same problem too, my D600 is not focusing properly at low light environment.

blueblood said:
I understand from the manual. However if I fix it at 39 pts, then I don't need to adjust in any scenario. So what is the trade off if using 39 pts for portrait or still picture ? Slower focusing ?

Let me try to explain what i understand:

In using dynamic-AF to track moving subjects, the more af points used, the more af points to "check" if the subject is covered. Hence, more points used = slower.

In AF-S, if u set 39 points. The only drawback i can think of is when selecting af points, u need more steps as compared to using 11 points. As in from the center af point, it will require more presses of the direction-pad to move to the outer af points.

Btw, just a reminder for those buying new memory cards. If u r buying those bigger capacity sdxc cards, its good to check if ur laptop/card reader supports them. Else, u may have problems transfering pix from sd card to ur Computer unless u buy a new card reader.

Last edited:
my d600 cannot focus in no light environment too.

After seeing the issues mentioned by bros above, I did a quick test 10 mins ago. So this is a fresh test from the "oven".

I off my bedroom light, switched on my bedroom toilet light and closed the toilet door almost fully, allowing just a small ray of light through the door.

First pic shows how the ambient looks like.

Pic 2 after I adjusted the exposure.

Did the lens hunt? You bet it does, I nearly cannot see the subject through VF.

Can it lock focus? Yes it can as shown above. I used Manual exposure, AF, Spot metering, and lock AE/AF button after focus was locked before I recomposed and pressed the shutter. Focus was on the eye of the subject. I do not use AF assist light. Lens used is consumer lens 70-300 VR. AF-A Single mode, hand-held.

Bottom line is, I will not wanna shoot in that kind of environment. Was the pub as dark as what is shown in Pic 1? If it isn't, then I suggest to the affected bro to bring your camera to NSC for a check up.

Thank you so much for doing the test bro. The pub I was in when trying to take the photos was much brighter than what you set up in your room. I mean people were around having drinks and talking like they would be in a restaurant.

The camera simply would not fire as it could not focus and I had to switched over to MF to make it work. I had taken photos at the same pub with my D7000 before so I know at least with that camera it is not an issue.

I will take up your advice and bring it in for a check up with NSC. Thanks again bro!

Last edited:
btw, for the built-in AF-assist illuminator to work, ur focus point has to be at the centre and either AF-A or AF-S...with tat, it's much easier to focus in low-light situation

Let me try to explain what i understand:

In using dynamic-AF to track moving subjects, the more af points used, the more af points to "check" if the subject is covered. Hence, more points used = slower.

In AF-S, if u set 39 points. The only drawback i can think of is when selecting af points, u need more steps as compared to using 11 points. As in from the center af point, it will require more presses of the direction-pad to move to the outer af points.

Yes. Your explanation concurred to my thinking. Slower focusing of using more af point. However in good lighting and portrait / still photo, can't feel the difference.

I'm not sure any differences if using af-s, portrait picture will get sharper if aim at the object's eye.

yes, i have the same problem too, my D600 is not focusing properly at low light environment.

Brought my D600 to NSC today. They checked it and said its fine. Guess I will need to work with it a bit more to see. Thanks to all the bros here for the help.

Just have to get used to it and learn about the various settings one by one, now, the more I use the D600, the more I am impressed by it and I discover little tricks with it each day. So just have to click! click! click!

Just have to get used to it and learn about the various settings one by one, now, the more I use the D600, the more I am impressed by it and I discover little tricks with it each day. So just have to click! click! click!

Yeah, that's the way.

I am quite surprised when my i went shooting with my friends, they seldom click, if not aim very long then click.
So i asked them, why hesitate? If you see something decent enough, just keep shooting.
The real reason is "afraid SC go up too high" , :dunno: , your skills don't necessarily goes up with your SC, but it's like buying a car and don't wanna drive much because of petrol and maintenance.

Hi guys, one quick question. Do you keep the camera inside the dry cabinet with the battery inside? I think the battery should be removed if not used for quite a while. But if use everyday or 2 - 3 times a week, is it okay to keep together?

Yea, I keep the my camera with the battery inside in the dry cabinet as I often take it out at least once per day to shoot. However, if it is for long periods of time or even holidays, I usually remove the battery just to play save. Other than that, I guess it is fine as I do it as well.

I prefer to remove the battery as i wont know how long i wont use it. Its a habit of mine

Hi guys, one quick question. Do you keep the camera inside the dry cabinet with the battery inside? I think the battery should be removed if not used for quite a while. But if use everyday or 2 - 3 times a week, is it okay to keep together?

Yes to both situations that you mentioned.

blueblood said:
I'm not sure any differences if using af-s, portrait picture will get sharper if aim at the object's eye.

hmmm i dun quite get ur question. Are u comparing AF on subject eye, difference between AF-S and AF-C?

If tat is ur question, then theorectically, should be able to achieve the same focus on subject be it af-s or af-c... But in practical is diff story

Last edited:
Im considering using the 2nd slot as backup in case of mishaps. But tat will slow down writting to cards and also use up more memory.

Anyone thinks its a good idea to shoot raw in slot 1 and jpg in slot 2... And using the jpg as backup?

This way, if my slot1 sd card fails, i still have jpg (compromise on quality over raw). And as i shoot, it takes less time to write and less mem needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.