D3 Failed during assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude

As much as I agree that:

1. crying away with every little thing and making noise in public is not the most useful thing in the world,
2. no production line is perfect for every piece to work as it should (especially with global OEM stuff)
3. All brands suffer from different failures from time to time and thus the reason why service centers exist in the first place,

I think it is important that you leave some unhappy users express their unhappiness with Nikon rather than jump in defense of Nikon every single time. I like Nikon and I do use some of their stuff, but it is also good to know people's experiences so that:

1. Nikon feels the external pressure to improve
2. Others become cautious with certain equipment when buying or using.

I have no doubt, that if I was a pro, I would not be using a single camera, and if a camera failed I would have left it with Nikon to be fixed before touching it again, and I would have extended the warantee as much as I could as this would be my bread and butter stuff. But surely there is a place where people can describe their experiences without feeling that your quick intervention was necessary.

Humbly my opinion..

-- Marios

p.s. ksong, if they gave you a new set then you should be happy, they are not obligated and many other manufacturers may not have bothered.

What makes it that I am jumping to nikon defense, it is a clarification as to what it is his definition as "new".

Seriously what's your issue with me?

A simple statement like:

"How about how would you define "new?"

Is now take out of context?

What makes it that I am jumping to nikon defense, it is a clarification as to what it is his definition as "new".

Seriously what's your issue with me?

A simple statement like:

"How about how would you define "new?"

Is now take out of context?
Absolutely no issue with you at all. Its just I feel that to moderate a discussion means more to maintain the discussion within its topic area, rather than to take a position. If i gotten it wrong pls ignore. :)

-- Marios

Absolutely no issue with you at all. Its just I feel that to moderate a discussion means more to maintain the discussion within its topic area, rather than to take a position. If i gotten it wrong pls ignore. :)

-- Marios

Yes you got it wrong. You can have your idea of moderation but that's is your idea, not necessary that one must subscribe to it.

It is precisely moderating by clarify the poster position and his interpretation of "new" to see both views. Simple as that, to ensure a two way views instead of one sided accusation.

Yes I shall ignore

* On hindsight - my apologies to Marios for the hash words *

Last edited:
The LCD on my D3 failed about 8 months after I bought it new in Singapore. Worse, I had it for a holiday/photo trip to ZhangJiaJie, China, As I had my Ziess prime lenses with me then, I continued to shoot (like those days using film cameras). Fortunately, all the pictures came out OK. Had it sent to NSC upon my return. It was the same problem as has been reported here, the PCB connecting the LCD to the rest of the system. I suspect Nikon does have a quality problem with some D3's. Mine was repaired foc under warranty and they gave me back my camera within 3 days.
I also had a back up camera - a Canon G10 on the trip.

How about how would you define "new"?

My definition of a 'new' set would be a brand new set.

Dude

As much as I agree that:

1. crying away with every little thing and making noise in public is not the most useful thing in the world,
2. no production line is perfect for every piece to work as it should (especially with global OEM stuff)
3. All brands suffer from different failures from time to time and thus the reason why service centers exist in the first place,

I think it is important that you leave some unhappy users express their unhappiness with Nikon rather than jump in defense of Nikon every single time. I like Nikon and I do use some of their stuff, but it is also good to know people's experiences so that:

1. Nikon feels the external pressure to improve
2. Others become cautious with certain equipment when buying or using.

I have no doubt, that if I was a pro, I would not be using a single camera, and if a camera failed I would have left it with Nikon to be fixed before touching it again, and I would have extended the warantee as much as I could as this would be my bread and butter stuff. But surely there is a place where people can describe their experiences without feeling that your quick intervention was necessary.

Humbly my opinion..

-- Marios

p.s. ksong, if they gave you a new set then you should be happy, they are not obligated and many other manufacturers may not have bothered.

Yes, I am happy with the replaced set.

My definition of a 'new' set would be a brand new set.

Yes, I am happy with the replaced set.

Have they not give that to you. And if you feel it is not "brand new" than you should have not accepted it and demand for what you expect. Rather than accept it than start to complain in the forum

Have they not give that to you. And if you feel it is not "brand new" than you should have not accepted it and demand for what you expect. Rather than accept it than start to complain in the forum

Excuse me Mr Moderator, since when did I complained about the 'new' set? I was just telling about my experiences with the old set.

As for why I asked about the definition of 'new', it's because I am just curious if it's a brand new set, but did I complain? In fact, in my last post, I replied Mario that I AM HAPPY with the replacement set.

Excuse me Mr Moderator, since when did I complained about the 'new' set? I was just telling about my experiences with the old set.

As for why I asked about the definition of 'new', it's because I am just curious if it's a brand new set, but did I complain? In fact, in my last post, I replied Mario that I AM HAPPY with the replacement set.

Since this - implied that they did not give you a "brand new set"
in the end they replaced me a 'new' set. I don't know how they define the word 'new'.

A lot of parts was changed and in the end they replaced me a 'new' set. I don't know how they define the word 'new'.

Since this - implied that they did not give you a "brand new set"

I wrote "I dont know how they define", and it doesnt mean what you have wrote.

I think we should stop hijacking this thread. Am tired of explaining myself when I just wanted to share my 'Nikon' experience and my doubt. And someone doesn't seem happy on the things I wrote and start thinking otherwise.

PERIOD!

I wrote "I dont know how they define", and it doesnt mean what you have wrote.

I think we should stop hijacking this thread. Am tired of explaining myself when I just wanted to share my 'Nikon' experience and my doubt. And someone doesn't seem happy on the things I wrote and start thinking otherwise.

PERIOD!

First the topic is D3 and you came with D80. Next the irrelevant statement of wondering how they define "new" as if you are not satisfied with it. Makes me wonder your motive and also who hijack the thread. :think:

You can be tired, I am certainly not.

shouting ie "PERIOD!" is uncalled for, even if you cannot exercise self control

Last edited:
Um...Hey guys...I had a wild party last night, my partner and I were shooting for fun for the crowd.

I was carrying a Z7, not a DSLR. My partner used a D300 with SB600.

The SB600 suddenly failed and refused to light / boot up again,totally dead. I'm sure there is sufficient power. Is there anything you guys can suggest me what kind of problem the SB600 might have? My partner said he dropped the unit a few months ago.

Actually, to me, i seldom hear much about Nikon stuffs malfunctioning, could that be the recent weather which contributes to such issues?

Got lucky it's not assignment. We really should have multi DSLR and multi flashes for anything serious.

The LCD on my D3 failed about 8 months after I bought it new in Singapore. Worse, I had it for a holiday/photo trip to ZhangJiaJie, China, As I had my Ziess prime lenses with me then, I continued to shoot (like those days using film cameras). Fortunately, all the pictures came out OK. Had it sent to NSC upon my return. It was the same problem as has been reported here, the PCB connecting the LCD to the rest of the system. I suspect Nikon does have a quality problem with some D3's. Mine was repaired foc under warranty and they gave me back my camera within 3 days.
I also had a back up camera - a Canon G10 on the trip.

Um bro, I guess your D3 has been serving you well after the fix right? Maybe there is a circuit design defect. Nikon usually won't admit or call back the faulty item, instead, they make secret improvement along with the different batches of stock

again that's my personal opinion and feel

The SB600 suddenly failed and refused to light / boot up again,totally dead. I'm sure there is sufficient power. Is there anything you guys can suggest me what kind of problem the SB600 might have? My partner said he dropped the unit a few months ago.

Check the battery contacts, the fall might have caused the contacts to bend in, resulting in insufficient 'spring' effect to contact the batteries.

Ksong, when you wrote "I don't know how they define the word 'new'."

It really reads: "they didn't give me a new set, but they claim it's a new set."

But anyways, you finally clarified that it is in fact a brand NEW set, and you are happy. So case close.

Cheers!

i had a similar experience while shooting in sg,a year back i think.everything went off,in short it becomes a manual camera.i quickly sent it for service,and they fixed it w/o any hassle.well the service is good but there's an issue on the quality and built of d3:sweat:

Got lucky it's not assignment. We really should have multi DSLR and multi flashes for anything serious.

err, isn't it a norm if u r on assignment to have backups? :think:

Isn't that the problem?

err, isn't it a norm if u r on assignment to have backups? :think:

Um...Bro, I don't usually shoot photos.

Bringing two ENG camcorders with on board lightings is nightmare, but for photos, we still can do it.

then the purpose of the TS is obvious, isn't it?

XsteelWolf isn't the threadstarter. ;p Anyway, depending on the angle of the impact, it could be anything that fail including the battery contact like reflecx mentioned or could be anything else. Won't know the problem unless an inspection is done. Paying NSC a visit would be apt.

Edit: I see what you mean now. ;p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.