D3 Failed during assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
XsteelWolf isn't the threadstarter. ;p Anyway, depending on the angle of the impact, it could be anything that fail including the battery contact like reflecx mentioned or could be anything else. Won't know the problem unless an inspection is done. Paying NSC a visit would be apt.

Actually he is the TS, he had visited NSC before and did not like it (I presume from post #1 and #28 ) and now he is also bringing out SB600 issues even though it was dropped before. Perhaps he could also bring it to HK NSC ;)

Um...Bro, I don't usually shoot photos.

Bringing two ENG camcorders with on board lightings is nightmare, but for photos, we still can do it.

bro, I was referring to photo assignments in reference to your sentence:

We really should have multi DSLR and multi flashes for anything serious.

didnt know you are also a videographer until your last post. anyway, thanks for clarifying. :)

Actually he is the TS, he had visited NSC before and did not like it (I presume from post #1 and #28 ) and now he is also bringing out SB600 issues even though it was dropped before. Perhaps he could also bring it to HK NSC ;)

Of course I would expect a piece of Nikon hardware to survive a drop simply because I had it tested with my trusted F-501. It flew out of my girlfriend's hands and on to the bumper car floor 10-20 meters away. A piece of corner plastic went missing from the body, but I kept both the camera and the girlfriend (now my wife!). It sure worked for years after that, till I stupidly left leaked batteries in it.

Yet, if someone came to me with a laptop that dropped and offered it for a cheap cheap price I wouldn't buy it even at rock bottom price. So lets keep things into prospective.

And kudos to Nikon for stuff that work after being dropped! It ain't that bad!

-- Marios

Of course I would expect a piece of Nikon hardware to survive a drop simply because I had it tested with my trusted F-501. It flew out of my girlfriend's hands and on to the bumper car floor 10-20 meters away. A piece of corner plastic went missing from the body, but I kept both the camera and the girlfriend (now my wife!). It sure worked for years after that, till I stupidly left leaked batteries in it.

Yet, if someone came to me with a laptop that dropped and offered it for a cheap cheap price I wouldn't buy it even at rock bottom price. So lets keep things into prospective.

And kudos to Nikon for stuff that work after being dropped! It ain't that bad!

-- Marios

Frankly nowadays, ,most things are not made like before. The F501, though not as tough as the FMs last a life time. Had one before and given it away.

Oops.. Didn't realise he's also the TS cos I didn't scroll to the first post. I'd have to agree that things aren't built as well as before. Blame it on the competition...

Frankly nowadays, ,most things are not made like before. The F501, though not as tough as the FMs last a life time. Had one before and given it away.

As a student I worked in a restaurant in East Anglia. A good man had a shop at B1 of the restaurant selling leather stuff. So, to fit with the Nikon FM's image (I had one too! that macho look), I went to buy a leather jacket. Considering the amount of money to be spend, I asked him sincerely how long would it last as I was a student and I wanted it to last as long as possible. His answer was just as sincere, "Not that long, but do you really want it to last forever?" He pointed to women who buy shoes, even they were to last forever, would they be happy with the same pair of shoes for the rest of their lives? Ha ha :)

When was the last time we turn our eyes to see and desire a full functioning D1? Pls don't make them last that long, BUT make them last long enough! :angel:

-- Marios

offend? there are better things to do in life. wats funny tho is seeing such threads popping up every now and then of users calling fire and brimstones down on camera makers for "sub-standard" manufacturing of their thousands of dollars toys.

i'm not condoning that manufacturers play fast and loose with their processes. wat i am saying is (as PE said earlier) - stuff happens. even if you have all those fancy-named processes.

toyota just recalled abt 78,000 cars in north america for problems with their brakes. and i'm pretty sure dat toyota has all those processes in place too to ensure quality. and IMO, when it comes to quality of manufacturing for jap-brand cars, toyota is the gold-plated standard for me. yet it happens.

hence, if it pleases anyone to switch ard to watever brands everytime something goes haywire, it's ur right.

just remember - stuff happens.

have fun!

I am glad you were not offended, then we can discuss this rationally. I am not sure your background, but my engineering background tells me for every failure, there is a reason behind, either some loopholes in your process or design. There is simply no such thing called stuff happens in the manufacturing environment. If you tell your boss that, probably you could just pack and leave.

From the follow up of the thread, it is very clear that it is not an isolated case (it again proves there is no such thing called things happen). It is a batch related reliability problem. There may be something wrong with their process. I am very sure given this high failure rate, Nikon engineers are alerted, know what is wrong and how to fix it. It is in the end Nikon's decision how to react.

As a conscious consumer, what I ask is simple: give me something worth what I pay for, regardless which brand it is. And if it is due to manufacturing fault, fix it for me. Don't charge me for something due to your fault. And I believe it is the ideal for all consumers including you. Yes, we may have brand loyalty. But don't spoil it.

I am not in the car industry, so I can't comment on Toyota's quality system. But i am glad Toyota admitted their mistake and did the call back.

I am glad you were not offended, then we can discuss this rationally. I am not sure your background, but my engineering background tells me for every failure, there is a reason behind, either some loopholes in your process or design. There is simply no such thing called stuff happens in the manufacturing environment. If you tell your boss that, probably you could just pack and leave.

From the follow up of the thread, it is very clear that it is not an isolated case (it again proves there is no such thing called things happen). It is a batch related reliability problem. There may be something wrong with their process. I am very sure given this high failure rate, Nikon engineers are alerted, know what is wrong and how to fix it. It is in the end Nikon's decision how to react.

As a conscious consumer, what I ask is simple: give me something worth what I pay for, regardless which brand it is. And if it is due to manufacturing fault, fix it for me. Don't charge me for something due to your fault. And I believe it is the ideal for all consumers including you. Yes, we may have brand loyalty. But don't spoil it.

I am not in the car industry, so I can't comment on Toyota's quality system. But i am glad Toyota admitted their mistake and did the call back.

While I agree with reliability and built and need for improvement.

I also believe that we have to be more objective here and based things in the correct perspective and facts. Is 4 or 5 cases here is considered high failure? perhaps out of the thousands that are sold without any problem.

If it is really the case, consumers would have been advised or recalled done as in the D5000 case.

So is my 65k shutter count, over-stressed D3 a rare or isolated case of it working fine? There were a few cases of members here showing that their equipment works fine, so be objective on what is high rate of failure, cos basing on the few D3 with no problem post, one can also say there is a high rate of success too (basing on your definition or numbers to determine "high rate" )

My point is simple, let's be objective and don't just take a few cases and blow it out of context and start a witch hunt and mob mentality commonly seen in this forum - Which I also would not allow that to happen here.

This book make a good read:
Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
by Jeffrey Pfeffer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.