(Crossing Bridges ONE ) Indonesia combined regional photo forums shoot - May 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

just to keep everyone updated.

I have spoken to the guys over at FN in Indonesia and the dates are 20 - 23 May 2004 (Thursday thru Sunday)

Grain magazine will be sending a photog to cover the trip.

Destination is Jogjakarta and the fabulous UNESCO World Heritage listed treasure of Boroburdur .... via Jakarta

More iteneary details and $$$ details coming up but should be able to stay very comfortably within S$450 (airfare, taxes, transport, domestic flights, food, hotel etc)

For those who are keen, better start applying for leave first before more details are confirmed.

ed

ed9119 said:
I have spoken to the guys over at FN in Indonesia and the dates are 20 - 23 May 2004 (Thursday thru Sunday)

ooohhh.... i'm definitely keen. need a break before my brain explodes anyway. good stuff ed! :thumbsup:

Come join the trip and spend your valuable tourist dollars in my country ;)

Jogja and Bali are the best place to go. Lots of beautiful sites, both cultural and natural. And they are considerably safer than Jakarta too.

Check out fotografer.net for some glimpse of the life in Indonesia (check out the location of the photos first, as there are lots of photos of singapore as well over there)

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

Brandon said:
Come join the trip and spend your valuable tourist dollars in my country ;)

Jogja and Bali are the best place to go. Lots of beautiful sites, both cultural and natural. And they are considerably safer than Jakarta too.

Check out fotografer.net for some glimpse of the life in Indonesia (check out the location of the photos first, as there are lots of photos of singapore as well over there)

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

Agreed .. Jogja is a very nice town (not to mention relatively cheap also) ...

Dun forget to visit malioboro street and try gudeg jogja (for those who don't know .. this is a name of food :D ) ...

....now IF connections to Jogja via Jakarta are difficult the ALTERNATIVE would be to make a trip out to Mount Bromo and her sister volcanoes via Surabaya.

Search Google on Mount Bromo and Surabaya and u should have a pretty good idea of the potential treasure trove of images that East Java offers.

am checking with travel agents these couple of days to see the best fit of timings and itenearies

ed

ed9119 said:
....now IF connections to Jogja via Jakarta are difficult the ALTERNATIVE would be to make a trip out to Mount Bromo and her sister volcanoes via Surabaya.

Search Google on Mount Bromo and Surabaya and u should have a pretty good idea of the potential treasure trove of images that East Java offers.

am checking with travel agents these couple of days to see the best fit of timings and itenearies

ed

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: mount bromo... u'll be amazed at the photos...
1st time I saw the photos i went ga ga... sooo surreal.. didnt knw such a place exist.. :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

drebel said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: mount bromo... u'll be amazed at the photos...
1st time I saw the photos i went ga ga... sooo surreal.. didnt knw such a place exist.. :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Make sure you bring a battery warmer :D
the temperature there can drop to an unfriendly to DSLRs temperature during sunrise.

Also if this is happening in May, make sure you are wearing your best running shoes .. incase you need to be evac'ed.
Coz the political climate might become very unfriendly.

I am also looking fwd to go back home during May for my sis graduation ceremony, MAYBE I will join you guys later as local guide in Jakarta :lovegrin:

=bob=

ed9119 said:

ed

For the destination, if you are familiar with GPS technology .. boot up your GPS and mark the WP's in navigasi.net.
Made n maintained personally by Mr Buyung Akram.
If any of you does not understand bahasa, email me and I will try to translate it for you.

=bob=

OK guys, time to decide who wants to come along.

TRIP IS FROM 20 MAY TO 23 MAY (THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY) 2004

Destination is Yogjakarta in Central Java....the cultural heartland of the Javanese.....home of Borobodur, nightly Wayang Kulit and the last bastion of present day Javanese royalty.

For those who put their names down, please wire me S$300 and email me the day/time you transfer the money and your bank account number for me to verify that the money indeed came from you. The money is for the payment of one international flight and one domestic internal round trip flights

I WILL need to get your REAL name in full as shown in your passport for the flight booking NOT your nick (Eg...Sunflower, Ruthbaby etc etc)

The breakdown of airfare is like this....

Singapore - Jakarta - Singapore roundtrip (Singapore airport taxes included) is S$220

Jakarta - Yogjakarta - Jakarta roundtrip including domestic airport taxes is S$80

I'll collect costs for rooms, food and transport on the day of departure itself....should be another $150.

To keep costs down, we'll be sharing 2 to a room

Bring extra $$$ if you want to buy handicrafts, go pubs/clubs, traditional massage etc etc etc....

My email is at eddie@walkeast.com

My Posbank account number is 021-12076-6

If you want to hand me cash or cheque, email me and I'll arrange to meet in Shenton Way area or give you my office address to send the cheque to.

I can be reached at 96611331

I wanna have fun too so please dont make my life miserable organizing this.

Please book your place EARLY because this flight sure will be full as the date draws nearer.

Keeping the group to a maximum of 12-15 persons including myself and another photog from a local photo magazine covering the trip.

So far I've got about 4 confirmed for the trip.

Jakarta will mostly be a transit point with most of time spent in Central Java Jogjakarta and its surrounding environs

ed

SniperD said:
Hi Ed,

when's the latest date of confirmation for availability?
M interested and will most prob be going :)

hey welcome aboard!

thanks for the heads up reminder....i forgot to mention it

the last date of confirmation will be FRIDAY 30 APRIL.

NOW....dont risk being on the waiting list for BOTH international and domestic flights . Also, the airline with this price to Jakarta flies only ONCE a day...so send me your names and particulars as early as u guys can.

Can give me names first for flight bookings and I can collect the $$$ if you want to pay me later...of course pay earlier is better....up to you....

If I dont get payment on time as the cut off date draws near....I'll take that as non-commitment and will give another guy/girl the opportunity to get into the group.....at the expense of your place

Those who pay but cant make it last minute for whatever reason will get a full refund IF I havent paid for the tickets yet. Otherwise it'll be dependent on the airline's/travel agent's refund/cancellation policy.

TRY NOT TO CANCEL OR BACK OUT PLEASE!!! BECAUSE YOU'LL ALSO LIKELY SCREW UP YOUR ROOM PARTNER'S HOTEL EXPENSES TOO (AND MAKE ME MISERABLE RE-PAIRING PEOPLE IN THE GROUPS TO THEIR ROOMS)

if u want to pair up with someone in particular in the group or if there are 'buddies' among you, let me know too so that I can arrange for it.

Same goes for those who want their own privacy and own room....LET ME KNOW as early as possible beforehand and NOT after we arrive at the destination.

Thanks again for the reminder Sniper!

ed

total of 7 sign ups as of this evening.

The flights via Changi Airport and Jakarta to Yogjakarta have a couple of carriers like Thai Airways that are affordable......BUT...

I just found out that departing from Batam airport to Yogjakarta costs only S$85. Ferry to Batam (every half hour) from WTC at Telok Blangah is S$20 and another S$5-10 taxi ride from the Batam ferry terminal to the airport.

Cheaper and faster. Carrier is Lion Air.

So the airfare + ferry + taxi ride to get to Yogjakarta and back to Singapore is (85+20+10)x2 = $230

Hotel at Yogjakarta after some investigation is about S$40-50 a night for a room for 2 persons .... including breakfast! Yes room has attached clean bathroom, air-con and TV.

So the costs should be around S$305 ONLY including airfare/ferry/hotel (3 nights).

This route via Batam will see us checking in at around 1pm and still having a Thursday afternoon/sunset shoot.

Not counting all the shooting on Friday and Saturday all day and a last morning daybreak shoot on Sunday morning.

Other expenses will be hiring a van and driver and lunch/dinner meals. This should cost around S$20-30 a day each person for 4 days ($80-120).

So grand total should add up to S$305 + S$120 = S$425

I've calculated on the higher side to be safe so if frugal, the costs should be lower than S$425.

ed

hi guys, pls email me your full names as it appears on your passport.

at least i get the travel agent to put in your flight reservations first. If you cant make it later on, then let me know and I'll just have the travel agent take your name off the reservations list. Anyway, we havent paid yet so its at no cost to us.....

Crunch time to really make a commitment to go or not is only when I need to pay for the tickets to be issued and start collecting $$$.

ed

ed

I HAVE RECEIVED SOME MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.....thank you....is this MY pocket money?

Please ALWAYS sms me or email me if you've sent me $$$, tell me the amount, the time u sent the $$$ and YOUR own account number u used to send the money.

OTHERWISE, I'M GOING DOWN TO CATHAY PHOTO TO GET ME A NICE PANASONIC LC-1 WITH THIS UNCLAIMED MONEY :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: !!!!!

ed9119 said:
I HAVE RECEIVED SOME MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.....thank you....is this MY pocket money?

Please ALWAYS sms me or email me if you've sent me $$$, tell me the amount, the time u sent the $$$ and YOUR own account number u used to send the money.

OTHERWISE, I'M GOING DOWN TO CATHAY PHOTO TO GET ME A NICE PANASONIC LC-1 WITH THIS UNCLAIMED MONEY :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: !!!!!

:think: :think: :nono: :blah:

money has been accounted for :bheart: ..... heh heh heh

OK on the Indonesian side....just got this message on the background of a couple of the Indonesian photographers joining up with us in Yogjakarta...

"....Pak Budi Darmawan lives in Surabaya, East Java and has many photography medals, titles and honours worldwide. He is a close friend of Tan Lip Seng (Singapore) and often travels to Singapore. He has just got A.PSS from PSS several months ago.

Pak Goenadi Haryanto is a senior amateur photographer and a respected
photography figure in Indonesia. He conducts regular photo courses and
seminars, and being a moderator for almost all international photography
seminar in Indonesia....."

Status
Not open for further replies.