Considering to get EX 430II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YqArts

Oct 20, 2008
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Anyone has comment whether its a plus or not to get this Flash?

IF so, whats the lowest price you asked or gotten it for ? =) THanks! :)

P.S. I know there is a price guide, but i would love to get some firsthand info.. Thanks!

get it if u can. its a great accessory. unless u can get the 580.
its about $415 when i bought it.
worth every single cent. :D

415? i guess thats before the price hike? Haha i seriously regret not getting it before the hike :thumbsd: Any recently buyers? =D

Got mine for 450 first week it was out... I believe there's a price guide in the price section of these forums eh.

I just bought one recently for $400 for a mint set with warranty from a nice guy who bought it for backup use but wanted to unload it because he didn't need it anymore. Didn't buy a 580EXII because I was intending to set up a wirless trigger so the master optical trigger capability didn't matter, and I don't really do group shoots so the power and portability of 430EXII was just nice for my portrait use even after diffusing through umbrella.

Put it this way, it was the best $400 I've spent on photography so far. Given the guy behind the camera got what it takes pull it off, I'm starting to see that equipment wise it's always about the light, the glass, THEN the body.

I bought things in this sequence.
450D brand new body with kit lens > 50mm f1.8 > 70-200mm f4L IS > 430EXII

If I could go back in time redo it all over again, I'd do it this way.
450D 2nd hand body (and save the extra cash for good glass earlier) > 50mm f1.8 > 430EXII > etc

I also ordered a umbrella plus lightstand kit from tagotech, a pair of phottix wireless triggers from reddotphoto, and have been having a real blast following the off-camera strobing tutorials and lighting 101 102 techniques from http://strobist.blogspot.com. Go take a look first and see if strobing is your kind of thing and matches your style of shooting. E.g., you might not need one if you're doing strictly landscapes.

Otherwise, by all means get an external flash (at least a cheap 3rd party one from mass orders section) AND be sure to try out off-camera flash if you want to experience the next level of photography. Actually ANY external flash is way better than not having one because you'll be doing it all manual flash exposure without ETTL or TTL if you are using cheap methods to sync anyway, such as a PC cord or a cheap wireless trigger that is not pocketwizard.

Last edited:
how come there was a price hike? just wanna know how come prices of lenses and accessories can fluctuate...

hmm maybe it's popular in demand? but then if its popular shouldn't the prices drop instead of raising up?

japanese yen is going strong recently hence the hike

Great flash. Got mine from Amazon.com. It was during the Canon US rebate this year. Paid something like $380 including shipping. ;)

how come there was a price hike? just wanna know how come prices of lenses and accessories can fluctuate...

Its simple economics at work.

Even the pork, chicken, fish , eggs and vegetables' price fluctuates due to swine flu, bird flu, floods in China, JB n cost of vegetables go up. Typhoons and no fishing boats are gg out of port and fish prices goes up.

Currency fluctuation, oil prices fluctuation ( tranport cost, inevitably, oil price affects currencies , gold price too ). For the japanese camera stuff, it was due to the yen . But when the yen falls to our favour, I doubt the retailers will lower their prices. They will just take it as bonus to them.

got two sets in HK for around $350 sgd each :p intl warranty too :p

Finally Caved in and gotten a 430 EX II =) Going to practise flash photography for my Halloween Events in my Hall . THanks for all kind advices!:)

can pm me the shop u got it from? my fren going hk end of next mth.. maybe can ask him to buy for me..
HK price for 430exii should be around around S$400. $350 with international warranty is indeed cheap.
Great flash. Got mine from Amazon.com. It was during the Canon US rebate this year. Paid something like $380 including shipping. ;)
Fall 2009 Canon rebates will be coming up soon in USA. Currently selling at USD$250. The last rebates took $30 off so we can expect the flash after rebate to be USD$220 which is around S$310+S&H (no GST if the package is under S$400).

got two sets in HK for around $350 sgd each :p intl warranty too :p

which shop did u get it from !!! hehe... can share?? will b gg to HK this year end ! the cheapest i searched was abt $385 ++.

I just bought my new 580EXII in HK for HKD$3150 which is about SGD$ 566 with international warranty.

anyone consider to get Nissin Di622 instead of 430ex II? actually that will be not much different right? Just some of the functions like rear curtain flash, slow sync are not available...

Moreover, Nissin just cost $210 (new) but 430ex cost $399 (new)....

Anyone can convince me by telling me more pros and cons of this two flashes?:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.