Comment on the aftersales service at Cathay Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, allow me to vent my frust... I hope to get some feedbacks too.

Last
Fast forward one month, I called and was told the italians are still having the summer holidays from Aug - Sept. :angry: He was very sorry about the situation but was not able to do anything else. I cannot get a definite date. And was told to wait, he will expedite the case.

it is very true that europe pretty much shuts down during this time frame
extended long holidays. it is not just italy but many of the surrounding countries too.
just be patient. =)

If a company promises a 7-day 1 to 1 exchange, and is unable to fulfil that promise due to inadequate stock, the only thing left to do is to refund the customer (ie to provide the 1 to 1 in the form of cash). Telling the customer that he has to wait is a breach of that promise.

If a company promises a 7-day 1 to 1 exchange, and is unable to fulfil that promise due to inadequate stock, the only thing left to do is to refund the customer (ie to provide the 1 to 1 in the form of cash). Telling the customer that he has to wait is a breach of that promise.
Try telling that to the local shop especially Cathay Photo and see the response you'll get. It is not like I didn't try before. :rolleyes:

Think the guys at CP are doing their best without losing $$.
Just make sure CP commits to RMA and you shld continue to sit on their heads.

frankly speaking local consumers do not enjoy much legal protection against retail malpractices. for those cases that do, it really a headache exercising that right.

i have bought staff from that store in question before, over a period of years. i notice the shift in atmosphere. seems like they are loosing their trademark customer service standards of old... :embrass:

my SGD$0.02...

If it happened to me, I will. If not, then the Small Claims Court is always available just like what that woman did to Nokia recently.

The other avenue is to publicise the matter here as is the case with this thread. Send an email to Cathay to inform them that their incident is now posted on the most widely read photography forum in Singapore.

ADDON:

The final avenue is to go under the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act, which gives remedies against unfair practices, some of the relevant ones are:

"9. Representing that a transaction involving goods or services involves or does not involve rights, remedies or obligations where that representation is deceptive or misleading."

"16. Representing the availability of facilities for repair of goods or of spare parts for goods if that is not the case."

Try telling that to the local shop especially Cathay Photo and see the response you'll get. It is not like I didn't try before. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
In all fairness, how did such a solid piece of metal broke in your first use :eek: ? mind to enlighten us? didn't you check the item before your purchase ? the size of that cast iron do not just brake away without any impact :think:, seems to me that its more likely a mishandling rather then a defective product :eek:.

I have been using Manfrotto products for ages :thumbsup:, they might not be the most refine tripods but they are most certainly robust and serve the purpose well, I have never had any Manfrotto products falls apart like yours, even dropping my trusty 190 and 055 with ball head many times on numerous occasion.

And if its truly a manufacturing defects, you could have demanded a 1 to 1 exchange in the first place and I am sure they will definitely exchange it without question asked unless something is amiss :think:.

Rdgs,

I don't think CP is disputing the product being defective. It is just that there is no stock to replace the defective one and the next shipment won't be in soon due to the Europe summer vaction.

You will have to wrack that rod pretty hard in order to break it so most likely it is a manufacturing defect.

My case is a open box failure, and I return within 7 days. I paid $500 to wait for 2 months (maybe longer) so that I can use it for the first time. So much for aftersales service and support. No logic rite?

If I return 6 months after purchase, then no choice. Gotta wait.

I was so tempted to void the visa transaction; credit card users are protected against a 60-day warranty. At least I kept my cool. Heh..
It is indeed frustrating to have this happen and Singapore being a small market, shops can't afford to stock like B&H Photo and the like.

I would demand a full refund if no immediate replacement is available. Are you sure they don't have stock or they just don't want to take out a part out of a new package to replace the defective one? If it is the latter, then I will surely make a big fuss out of it since yours is still within the 7 days 1-for-1 replacement.

It is indeed frustrating to have this happen and Singapore being a small market, shops can't afford to stock like B&H Photo and the like.

I would demand a full refund if no immediate replacement is available. Are you sure they don't have stock or they just don't want to take out a part out of a new package to replace the defective one? If it is the latter, then I will surely make a big fuss out of it since yours is still within the 7 days 1-for-1 replacement.
simple, ask someone to go in pretend to be buying the product and you know the result.

Hi all, an update - lo n behold - an important one. I got a call yesterday, and was told the stock has arrived. Strange but I'm happy to collect it today, no fuss. Will test it out shortly.

Are you sure they don't have stock or they just don't want to take out a part out of a new package to replace the defective one? If it is the latter, then I will surely make a big fuss out of it since yours is still within the 7 days 1-for-1 replacement.

It's the latter, I did not make a fuss becoz I run a business myself, and I know it's 'messy' to open up another model to salvage parts. I saw the unit being opened infront of me - brand new packing. And it's a case of manufacturing defect. So I gave the CP RMA system a chance to sort it out.

I'm happy now, knowing that the Italians are back at work. ;)

I have been using Manfrotto products for ages :thumbsup:, they might not be the most refine tripods but they are most certainly robust and serve the purpose well, I have never had any Manfrotto products falls apart like yours, even dropping my trusty 190 and 055 with ball head many times on numerous occasion. ...

Yeah, Manfrotto products are really good quality. I can attest to that. I hope my case is a one-off incident and the CP RMA system can live up to it's promise. :)

-Ahem, abit of mantra. Now that I'm feeling better again. It's my belief that service always comes at a price. Always take care of a paying customer and that will become a customer for life. :) No love is lost. :heart:

I feel sorry for you, bro. I think 'good service' is only before any sales are made. After that, good luck!

Cathay Photo may not be the cheapest. I've encountered that myself. Have checked on the price of a reflector (US made) and was quoted XXX dollars by CP. Found too expensive and went online to BH Photo to shop. Found that after inclusive of tax, shipment, conversion, etc, the same reflector from BH is cheaper, and delivered right to the door step!

I don't believe in after sales service any more. Lost confidence with local shops nowadays. If I got a lemon set, tough luck. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.