Comex IT Fair 28th-31st August 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys Im going to buy a dslr from the IT fair. Anyone can give me advice? Was thinking of getting a Nikon D60. I've decided to buy nikon as I dont really like canon like the eos 400d that my sch has. Am kinda new to photography. Im basically gonna use it for sch and for my own use.

Hey guys Im going to buy a dslr from the IT fair. Anyone can give me advice? Was thinking of getting a Nikon D60. I've decided to buy nikon as I dont really like canon like the eos 400d that my sch has. Am kinda new to photography. Im basically gonna use it for sch and for my own use.

There's a new model now, the EOS 450D which i suggest you try to see if you like it.The Nikon D60 has also 3 AF pt compared to 9 for the EOS 450D.

Either way, those DSLR retailers in the COMEX are stupid megashops like Harvey Norman, "Lousy" Buy which stick to Canon's rip-off RRP price.

Last edited:

whats your budget? what is the type of photography you wanna pursue? then you will know what you need, and what you can afford.

my best advice to you is, dun buy at the fair, just buy it at 1 of the reputable shops... :)

ppl say prefer Nikon liao, how come u still intro Canon... haiz... :sweat:

Haha, either way - it's up to TS himself to decide. I just feel that the Nikon D80/90 is the direct competitor to the 450D instead.

Last edited:
whats your budget? what is the type of photography you wanna pursue? then you will know what you need, and what you can afford.

to add on, do you intend to get into photography seriously (long term)? Will you be willing to fork out moola for lenses at about $1k a piece? btw, if your school is using Canon, do they have lenses to lend you? What system are your friends using, if you choose the same system as them you can borrow lenses and stuff?

There's a bunch of stuff you ought to consider. Try to get someone who knows about cameras and the pricing to go with you when you buy (whether you buy from COMEX or one fo the shops) to ensure you dun kenna chop. I don't recommend buying at COMEX, unless you bargain away all the unneccssary stuff they "give" you and get a lower price.

u every hour post here the lobang... TIA... :devil:

Eh , i work there. i Cant bring my laptop there mah.. Sales Person eh.. not so free to keep posting every hour. Maybe Saturday Night than i will post the Special Price List Up for Sunday which is the last day.
eh whats the average price of a 1TB HDD? i was thinking of getting one so i wouldn't have to keep deleting stuff to keep some free space available. i have a fair bit of photos from my shoots, animations from school as well as videos from projects/friends that i store in 2 seperate HDDs at the moment
The June IT show, Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB(SATA) Cost $399 if im not wrong.
when the day comex is up think at sim lim lesser ppl?

im looking for 2.5" Maxtor HDD
250gb+ perhaps?

any discount for student/Cser? :p

hmmm. 250GB ah.
maybe around ranging around $160-$250
Depending on what model are you intending to get.

and btw, i dont open Seagate. :bsmilie:
Last day sure got discount.
and on sunday they got hourly Special Deals. They Really Slash The Price Down. :p

Well Im in Motion graphics & Broadcast design in nyp. My course deals with film, motion graphics, animation & photography. The school does have various lenses etc. But We kinda share the 3 available cams with the other 2 courses in our sch of Digital media design. This is one of the reason I wanna get my own dslr. Photography is one of my modules in yr3.

However Im just currently in yr1 but we do started learning on photography during our extra lectures. My lecturer advices us to start taking pictures from now on. All I have now is a pathetic 3megapix canon camera that my dad got as a gift a long time ago. =\

Basically I do not know wad kind of photography I wanna be shooting as im really2 new to all this. My budget is around $900-1.3k?

Well Im in Motion graphics & Broadcast design in nyp. My course deals with film, motion graphics, animation & photography. The school does have various lenses etc. But We kinda share the 3 available cams with the other 2 courses in our sch of Digital media design. This is one of the reason I wanna get my own dslr. Photography is one of my modules in yr3.

However Im just currently in yr1 but we do started learning on photography during our extra lectures. My lecturer advices us to start taking pictures from now on. All I have now is a pathetic 3megapix canon camera that my dad got as a gift a long time ago. =\

Basically I do not know wad kind of photography I wanna be shooting as im really2 new to all this. My budget is around $900-1.3k?

well you can get a Nikon D80 Kit. with 18-135mm. its a good start :thumbsup:

i can tell you what you'll be shooting. you'll do several categories. Architecture, macro, portrait, night and sports. those are the ones you confirm do (unless you do shots only for your animation purposes.) i'm communications and media management in TP. :) wah ok get your own cam better, cause you'll panic when you need to do your assignment and everyone is trying to loan the cams.

1.3k? 450D is above that budget. For canon and Nikon the only things in that budget (correct me if i'm wrong) are the D60 and the 400D. and the cameras below that of course.

D80 kit not 1.4+ meh? don't tell me price drop again? wah sad... i bought my D80 about 4 months ago and the price wasn't that low. :cry:

Ya i 2nd that! D80 is a gd start with that kind of budget. :thumbsup: Maybe just try to save abit more or ask parents to top up abit.

lol. can bargain one what. ;)

not much difference also. 100bucks more .

Yup, can try slashing as much as u can. Hey TS, ask the shop if they will give u a better price if u pay by cash. :)

Last edited:
There's a new model now, the EOS 450D which i suggest you try to see if you like it.The Nikon D60 has also 3 AF pt compared to 9 for the EOS 450D.

Either way, those DSLR retailers in the COMEX are stupid megashops like Harvey Norman, "Lousy" Buy which stick to Canon's rip-off RRP price.

Eh,they will change retailers every yr right? Last yr's Nikon's was by TK foto n Sony's was by CP. :)

i can tell you what you'll be shooting. you'll do several categories. Architecture, macro, portrait, night and sports. those are the ones you confirm do (unless you do shots only for your animation purposes.) i'm communications and media management in TP. :) wah ok get your own cam better, cause you'll panic when you need to do your assignment and everyone is trying to loan the cams.

1.3k? 450D is above that budget. For canon and Nikon the only things in that budget (correct me if i'm wrong) are the D60 and the 400D. and the cameras below that of course.

Yeah man. U kow wad I mean right. I panic sia when tt time got assignment need use dslr. Sometimes all will kanna taken one. =\ So basically its not worth ar to buy during comex? Their extra freebies is are useless?

Yeah man. U kow wad I mean right. I panic sia when tt time got assignment need use dslr. Sometimes all will kanna taken one. =\ So basically its not worth ar to buy during comex? Their extra freebies is are useless?

not really say uselesss laah, depends what they give...

i rather u buy in CS or shops. Better to buy in CS.
Since your new to DSLR, get a second hand first. like me, I got a Nikon D70s, than i bought 18-70, 50mmf1.8, 70-300 all from CS( second hand ) except flash i buy from shop. Its much cheaper that way, you will have spare cash to get DryBox/DryCabinet and even get a Tripod? haha. Than after that if you feel you need to upgrade. Start buying new bodies. I might be getting D2x or D300, althought its second hand. But i Feel that if you get second hand you will save much more. Check the Market Price FIRST , than start your bidding. But of cos, kena SUAY seller.. than you suay lorh, so if u are getting second hand things, make sure check for Fungus-FREE, Scratches on image-sensor , see how is the condition like, Snap a few picture and zoom in and check for damages and also check if is there anymore warranty anot. :cool:

Thanks alot for the advice. I think I'll try to convince my dad to get me the D80 instead of the D60. I guess we'll walk ard Comex and compare outside prices too and see what to decide. Thnx lot guys.

Thinking of getting a UMPC, any recommendations ?

been reading up on the reviews on
WinPC
EEEPC
AspireONE

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.