Canon R7 affordable apsc wildlife camera

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
As the title suggest. It's significantly cheaper. What most other brands Do not have is procapture or whatever canon calls it. 5 key features that make a good wildlife camera.

Reactions: An drew

R7 and R10 RAW files.

Reactions: An drew
For him to shoot 1280mm handheld is quite impressive.

R7 first impressions...

Canon R7 in the field.

Some articles suggest Canon insists EOS M line is not dead.
Maybe not today 29 July 2022.
Cannot say for sure about the future.

Canon will monitor sales figures of R7.
If R7 is a Mega Hit success.

Then Canon may decide it is not sensible to run so many different production lines.
That is to consolidate and concentrate on RF mount.
In due course, Canon may make a mini-sized version of R7 to replace EOS M Line.

2014 7D2 was released at a higher than US$1,499 price point.

Coupled with the RF800/11, RF600/11 or RF100-500L lens and it would be a very light and cheap wildlife setup.

Just do not skimp out on the SD cards as the cheaper/slower cards will slow down the very high continuous shooting fps.

Pack in 2x more extra batteries you typical would use as RF bodies uses more power than EF bodies.

2014 7D2 was released at a higher than US$1,499 price point.

Coupled with the RF800/11, RF600/11 or RF100-500L lens and it would be a very light and cheap wildlife setup.

Just do not skimp out on the SD cards as the cheaper/slower cards will slow down the very high continuous shooting fps.

Pack in 2x more extra batteries you typical would use as RF bodies uses more power than EF bodies.

You forgot about the RF 100 - 400 mm budget Zoom which is more versatile compared to the fixed lenses which have a niche or special use mostly more reach. RF 100 - 400 is a 600mm zoom with crop sensor like R7 or the entry level R10 which is about $2.5k for body and lens.

Canon R10 24mp crop sensor.

You forgot about the RF 100 - 400 mm budget Zoom which is more versatile compared to the fixed lenses which have a niche or special use mostly more reach. RF 100 - 400 is a 600mm zoom with crop sensor like R7 or the entry level R10 which is about $2.5k for body and lens.

Canon R10 24mp crop sensor.

Matching the RF 100-400mm non-L lens to a R7 would not be the 1st thing in my mind.

It would be what I'd put onto a R10.

In my nearly 14 years of birding I could count the times I'd need to step back to properly frame wildlife.

400mm on a 1.6x crop would still be too short for me. May work for sports for people who are ~4 feet tall but not a bird that's the size of a cigarette lighter.