Canon PowerShot G7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess F30 compliment you better, smaller for daily camera. Since you have 30D, you might not need small cam with hotshoe anymore.

But I agree with you, G7 looks so cool :D

FYI, I have F11 as my daily cam, and so far satisfied with it, very durable too.

Same as G7, f/4.8 is the "LARGEST" aperture at max tele. Aperture range at max tele : f/4.8 - f/8.0

Roger. That explains it, so it's the same as the A70, F2.8 to F8 at wide, F4.8 to F8 at tele. Yummy, now I'm tempted to buy it. ;p

My A70 was "hospitalised" twice due to the CCD problem, and somehow I feel the focusing isn't as sharp as before. And I'm worried that it decides to die on me when I go travelling. :sweat:

lol. Can't resist....
Bought it yesterday. :confused:
pretty pleased with the cam so far except I'm not used to the handling grip. ;)

a sample shots taken with the handsome G7 (unprocessed)
ISO 200 f/2.8 1/25
IMG_0082.jpg

100% crop
IMG_0082-1.jpg

Which one will you choose?

Well the 6Mp save the hassle of post processing high ISO file, but for low ISO, low noise file, let say ISO 80 file, which one you will choose, the 10Mp file or the 6Mp file? You will get more detail on the 10Mp file for large printing :)

What do you think?

Most buyers will not care two hoots about high ISO high noise.
People just react to the numbers.
10 MP is "better" than 6MP.
That's it.
Saves a whole lot of sales talk by the shop staff.
And who is to say that it is not true?

Most buyers may not even shoot many pictures in dim light.

Current marketing "hit" techno terms.

Image Stabilizer.
Digic III.
10MP
Large LCD
Uses SD card (as opposed to XD)
High ISO
3 or more X OPTICAL Zoom
Relatively Small size - easy to carry around on tour instead of a big clumsy ungainly heavy lump of a digicam.

lol. Can't resist....

ISO 200 f/2.8 1/25
IMG_0082.jpg

100% crop
IMG_0082-1.jpg

Quite good. Any sample shot at high ISO or under low light condition. Thanks.

lol. Can't resist....

ISO 200 f/2.8 1/25
IMG_0082.jpg

Very nice color from unprocessed pic :D Mind to post more of 100% crop of ISO 200 and 400?
Thanks!

Just play around with the G7 during lunch at Canon/Funan. Pic from ISO 400, 800 seem usable from the LCD screen. You will notice the noise for 1600 and 3200.

Overall I like the function and feel of this camera. I like the wheel function for adjusting shutter speed and the ISO wheel.

One minus point: it is not wide enough and you are 'force' to buy the wide angle converter to reach 28mm.

hi everyone, any latest price for G7? pls recommend wis shop is good. thx

Just got my G7 last Sunday, still playing with it :)

Mine the LCD is showing a strong red / purple flare when shooting very bright object like lamps, or very bright sunny day :( But the result is normal, no flares.

Any G7 owners having some problem with the LCD? Try to shoot outdoor in bright sunny day, or point the lens to lamp.

Thanks! ;)

any G7 user group here.. any feedback after using this cam?

G7 by design is a good camera, but the CCD, I would say doesn't match the design. It is a noisy CCD, helped with a good digic 3 processor the helps to reduce the noise and produce good color.

I have G2, my Dad has G3, so I have a little bit of 'G' history. It is a pity that they remove RAW. But if you don't have any 'G' history, G7 alone is a good designed camera, maybe the smallest compact that offer hot shoe and a wealth of manual control and adjustment. I never think to carry previous Gs in a small belt pouch before, but now I do, because G7 is smaller and slimmer than the previous Gs. Small size, is one good thing from G7, carry more often means more utilization, good for the money you have spent.

The macro is nice and excellent. The purple fringing / CA is minimum, much less than other compacts. Colors are nice out of camera, save our time of post processing. The camera is fast and snappy, which adds joy in use.

What needs improvement are:
1. Noise, noise, noise... I prefer 7Mp low noise sensor than 10Mp noisy sensor.
2. White balance under artificial lightings. My Fuji F11 auto white balance is better to my point of view, gives a more natural color in any lightings.
3. LCD produce red flares when shooting very bright object, and has magenta cast, so the LCD display color is not very natural.

My2Cents ;)

Hi all. I am very interested to get this camera. May i know where currently i can get the best price for the G7 and what is the freebies that normally comes with it. Thanks alot!

I found the the 'Positive Film' color mode in G7, make the pic looks 'cool' and saturate the blue. Good for blue sky :)

Sample from 'Positive Film' color mode, taken in the morning, around 9 am, resized only, no color adjustment:
IMG_0280_view.jpg

The difference between Standard color, vivid, and positive film. I prefer standard for most cases. Vivid has to be used with cautious, as it increases contrast, and easily causes highlight clipping. The Positive film makes the pic looks 'cool' (opposite of warm), nice for outdoor and blue sky, but not for portrait.

The nice thing of G7, for those who doesn't do PS, we can shoot all with default color, and then if want to try with other color setting, we can change it later after the shot, in display mode, and re save the picture (as a new file) in different color mode. So far I didn't see any noticeable jpeg degradation on the new file :)

Here is some comparison:
Canon-G7_Color-Mode.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.