Canon G15 Problem

I just bought a Canon G15 in November 2012. After a week of usage, there was a problem with the camera. It could not focus properly. It will be able to focus after I off and on again. After a couple of shots, the problem resurface again.

I sent to Canon Customer Service at Harbour Front and they checked for me for one week and returned back to me on December and said that there are issues with Canon G15 which they are not able to solve. They have contacted their HQ in Japan and waiting for them to solve this problem. I have been waiting till now and it is already a month.

It makes photography such an unpleasant experience with this problem. Have been waiting till now and contacted them and said they are still waiting for HQ direction.

I asked for one to one exchange and they threatened me that if I exchange they can't guarantee that it can solve the issue and they can only exchange once. If it is the same problem, they will not replace me with another one. They also claimed that there are several other consumers who are facing the problem with the G15.

If they know that there is an issue, I wonder why they still sell it in the market? And what's up with the slow response in rectifying this issue? Paid quite a sum just to get this G15 without knowing it, there is a problem!

Anyone facing the same problem with G15 over here?

Really felt disappointed with Canon for giving such problem! :(

I asked for one to one exchange and they threatened me that if I exchange they can't guarantee that it can solve the issue and they can only exchange once. If it is the same problem, they will not replace me with another one. They also claimed that there are several other consumers who are facing the problem with the G15.
In which way is this a threat? And what sense does it make to entertain your demands for exchange if they know already that the copy they will give will have the same issue? You should be glad that they think ahead and not just run a standard procedure of exchanging your copy, despite the fact that it's a known issue affecting all G15 cameras.
Either you ask them for refund and get a different camera or you can wait and let Canon resolve it.

Either you ask them for refund and get a different camera or you can wait and let Canon resolve it.

Yeah TS, check for refund or a different camera of equivalent value. IDK if one mount amount to undue delay in resolving/repairing under the new Lemon Law though.

Yeah TS, check for refund or a different camera of equivalent value. IDK if one mount amount to undue delay in resolving/repairing under the new Lemon Law though.
They told me that they do not do refund or get a different camera with equivalent value.

Anyone having the same problem as me? Or am I the only one facing this problem?

Is this a known issue with all G15 cameras?
Please check your original posting, second paragraph.
Why are they selling the camera if there are issues with the G15?
We don't know. You might want to check with Canon. Also, those copies still sitting on shelf will be sold as usual as long as Canon does not issues an official call back order. I doubt any of the shops will take it off the shelf without it. Shops are only interested in selling, local warranty and customer complaints are Canon's job.

Please check your original posting, second paragraph.

We don't know. You might want to check with Canon. Also, those copies still sitting on shelf will be sold as usual as long as Canon does not issues an official call back order. I doubt any of the shops will take it off the shelf without it. Shops are only interested in selling, local warranty and customer complaints are Canon's job.

Thanks Octarine for your replies!

Sometimes....this kinds of thing may happen...It does not just apply to Canon product only....So no choice... just have to accept it.

Faulty cameras do not kill people.
Thus it is less seriously taken than say, for example faulty pharmaceutical drugs or faulty cars.

Thanks for highlighting the problem here.
Those who thought of buying G15 will not buy now.

You should highlight to the Japanese newspapers. Like say, Asahi Shinbun.

Not to ST. Our market is nothing to any manufacturer. Too small. Canon (Japan) will ignore any grumbles on Singapore newspapers.

Once the news breaks in Japan and Canon top management know their asses are on the line, they will either improve the camera or do a recall and take it off the market. In Japan it would be a loss of face to Canon.

But make sure whatever you say is factual and not exaggerated or false.

My friend own the G15 and taken tons of pics on holiday and Christmas parties without any issues. Perhaps Canon should check whether only certain batches andserial numbers hv the same issues as TS

My friend own the G15 and taken tons of pics on holiday and Christmas parties without any issues. Perhaps Canon should check whether only certain batches andserial numbers hv the same issues as TS
Thanks! That was what I thought too. Sadly, I still have to wait. I asked them how long should I wait, they told me that it is very hard to answer. I have been waiting for a month now...

Was proud to use the G2 last time and now I am a disappointed canon user.

Faulty cameras do not kill people.
Thus it is less seriously taken than say, for example faulty pharmaceutical drugs or faulty cars.

Thanks for highlighting the problem here.
Those who thought of buying G15 will not buy now.

You should highlight to the Japanese newspapers. Like say, Asahi Shinbun.

Not to ST. Our market is nothing to any manufacturer. Too small. Canon (Japan) will ignore any grumbles on Singapore newspapers.

Once the news breaks in Japan and Canon top management know their asses are on the line, they will either improve the camera or do a recall and take it off the market. In Japan it would be a loss of face to Canon.

But make sure whatever you say is factual and not exaggerated or false.
It does not kill me. I agree. Unlike cars where they need to recall due to the danger.

Anyway, just not happy with the camera which I am not able to use after buying it. And the waiting without knowing when and how they are going to rectify the issues.

Factual? I have the service report by canon singapore stating return without repair. Awaiting update from canon inc, any update will inform customer.

I just want to know whether any G15 user in here are facing the same problem as me which are mentioned by canon SG.

Sometimes....this kinds of thing may happen...It does not just apply to Canon product only....So no choice... just have to accept it.
hi. sorry but i disagree that we have to just accept it. TS should insists on getting his camera fixed, repair or a full refund.

hopefully these links will help:
http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon Law FAQs.pdf
http://www.mti.gov.sg/NewsRoom/Documents/Lemon Law Press Release.pdf

Thanks! That was what I thought too. Sadly, I still have to wait. I asked them how long should I wait, they told me that it is very hard to answer. I have been waiting for a month now...

Was proud to use the G2 last time and now I am a disappointed canon user.

I would take that replacement if I am you. Better than having to wait for God knows how long, before they resolve the issue.

What is the worst that can happen? that the replacement set experience the same problem? and you need to wait again? no different from your current situation. Might as well just go for it. Who knows, you might end up with a set that is ok.

hi. sorry but i disagree that we have to just accept it. TS should insists on getting his camera fixed, repair or a full refund.

hopefully these links will help:
http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon Law FAQs.pdf
http://www.mti.gov.sg/NewsRoom/Documents/Lemon Law Press Release.pdf

Canon agreed to give TS a replacement set... albeit with some weird restrictions. But they did offer a replacement set.

i would also take the replacement and try my luck. if problem surface again have to suck thumb and wait either way, if replacement no problem good for u, u probably wont need another replacement anyway.

I would also try my luck with the replacement camera. Insist you want band new set.

It is sad to see Canon to be so irresponsible. They are still allowing faulty products to be on the market and keep quiet about it.
I bought their camera and printers and their customer service was always top notch.

I will definitely request for full refund for my purchase and look for other alternative model or even brand. They have to handle the situation well or customer will never return.

Canon agreed to give TS a replacement set... albeit with some weird restrictions. But they did offer a replacement set.

Canon tried to play smart by offering a replacement set with a disclaimer that the replacement set may also face the same problem. As per the FAQ, since the retailer had already pointed out the limitation during the point of transaction, should that problem indeed arise later, the retailer will not be liable for that (refer Q3).

However, TS should not be fooled and accept this terms. Because under the basic consumer rights, if the goods is a lemon, the retailer MUST repair or replace (a working set) within a reasonable time frame without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

Since it's well over one month and Canon HQ has no directive on how to repair, TS is entitled to demand either a reduction in price or refund.

Of course, Canon will try all other means other than refund. It will be up to TS to raise his demands though.

To OP:
If I were you, I will take the replacement. Tell them you will accept it and use it. Now, if you run into the same problem some time later, just return to CSC, scream at them, ask to see the manager and I can assure you they will look into it. You will NOT be left without a working camera. I have run into similar problems in the past.

The problem with CSC is that some of the staff are poorly skilled. But CSC will not leave you in the cold as long as you are willing to contest their lousy decisions.

I have to admit these things leave a sour taste in my mouth. But unfortunately, other manufacturers are not any better.