Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different people different needs, and I has my own point.
I comes from minolta user, and switch to Canon after I lost my gear during a trip (and that time, minolta gears suddenly dissapear from market or the price sky rocketing since take over by sony).
My Sony gear is mainly used for walkaround purpose.
My Canon gear is mainly used for potrait and candid. And for this potrait and candid, I need to create 'greater effect' by maximize using of different AF points (it's all about composition).
I seldom PP, the most is change WB, change contrast/sharpness a bit, and sure sometimes cropping. Never touch PS.
I can see 39 AF points is arguable here, but it's a potential for me to make my composition better.
I'm not loyal to a brand, I only care which brand offer tech (or thing) that can help me better.

Alright sure you look for tech or brands that help you better, then why d7000? According to speculation, not sure how accurate, the d7000 is priced around 1800 to 1900. If it turns out to be true, it's only 200-300 shy of the 7D. And by changing to Nikon from Canon, you are essentially losing money from sales of your lenses. And have to spend time scouring for the appropriate Nikon lenses. If you budget allows then go for it then.

Sometimes being loyal to a brand isn't by choice. There are actually quite a number of Canon fanboys wanting to switch to the D7000 just for the specs and price alone, but most chose otherwise because of their current collection of Canon glass.

Something for you to think about.

read the review...
IMO seems like its 60D=550D...
its not a mag body and its tilting lcd... got bad experience with canon's movable lcd :(
will stick to my trustworthy 40D/50 f/1.4 for a while :)

read the review...
its not a mag body and its tilting lcd... got bad experience with canon's movable lcd :(

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with one of Canon's movable lcd's. :(

Would you care to share your experience with us so that we can learn from it?
Thanks in advance. :)

read the review...

IMO I think 60D is meant for upgrade for those xxxD user... 50D user won't find it much of a upgrade... for 40D user u may consider it as it has much higher ISO performance. Could be useful if u are out travelling and didn't bring a tripod.

Regarding the plastic body... think u haven't touch the 60D yet. Have a feel and decide for yourself. ;)

No comments for the movable LCD... all I can say is it is usable... haha!

Think everyone cannot accept the fact that now 60D has re-position itself to a erm.... lower end of the pro model. If this particular is assigned to a product number like erm... 2000D think there will be wow! instead of boo! (taken D7000 as an example...:))

Yeah I agree that certain features like movable LCD and creative filters would have been in xxxD or even xxxxD series rather than the xxD series. It does seem weird.

Think everyone cannot accept the fact that now 60D has re-position itself to a erm.... lower end of the pro model. If this particular is assigned to a product number like erm... 2000D think there will be wow! instead of boo! (taken D7000 as an example...:))

actually the choice is somewad logical. so the smaller the number of digits the better (xxxxD to the 7D-1Ds). So 1 digit = pro, 2 or more digits = not-so-pro. No offense but N production lines r kind of all over e place.

but come to think of it, they could hav added the magicial "s". rename 7D into 60D and make the new 60D into xxxDs.

Went to play with the 60D and 7D at vivo showroom.
The plastic body of 60D is not as toy-ish as the 550d and the rubber grip is nice to hold actually. The flip out lcd is very clear and nice, good for shooting non-eye level shots, but the contrast AF is rather slow. The normal af is like my old 40D no difference.

But the 7D is really nice, AF super fast, fps is like machine gun. But is it worth the extra $600? :think:

Went to play with the 60D and 7D at vivo showroom.
The plastic body of 60D is not as toy-ish as the 550d and the rubber grip is nice to hold actually. The flip out lcd is very clear and nice, good for shooting non-eye level shots, but the contrast AF is rather slow. The normal af is like my old 40D no difference.

But the 7D is really nice, AF super fast, fps is like machine gun. But is it worth the extra $600? :think:

The fact that you asked means you dont need it. Get the 60D instead ;p which is what im doing.

Unless you want to practice range at home with your 'machine gun' and need a 100% viewfinder and microadjust, you should just settle for the 60D. I dont think there are any more major feature differences. The rest are all cosmetic changes and weight.

I think it depends on your needs...... But are you sure the diff is only $600???

7D is around $2300++ and 60D is around $1470++....around $700-800+++ diff........ based on my latest check at CP....

Unless you want to practice range at home with your 'machine gun' and need a 100% viewfinder and microadjust, you should just settle for the 60D. I dont think there are any more major feature differences. The rest are all cosmetic changes and weight.

I like a 100% VF and that is what you see is what you get... the 400D is only 95%/96% and that is also for the 60D too....... but it is a far too high premium....

I like a 100% VF and that is what you see is what you get... the 400D is only 95%/96% and that is also for the 60D too....... but it is a far too high premium....
Its the AF, the build and the fps that make it worth the $. Any one who has even remotely dabbling in journalistic sports would attest to it being worth the extra $. So what your camera is cheaper, its worthless if you can’t get the shot in the sporting arena.

But as others have rightly pointed out, if you had to ask if it’s worth it, it’s not for you.

Last edited:
Its the AF, the build and the fps that make it worth the $. Any one who has even remotely dabbled in journalistic sports would attest to it being worth the extra $. So what your camera is cheaper, its worthless if you can’t get the shot in the sporting arena.

But as others have rightly pointed out, if you had to ask if it’s worth it, it’s not for you.

Of course the other factors you pointed out are the other cost of getting a 7D.... as if it is worth it or not, being a leisure shooter, I see no reason for me to go for it, and 60D will be good enough for my shooting..... I am using my 400D for it currently... just that my subject is more on stilll life and portraits, and do not run around much.... hence, I do think 60D is just sufficient.... of course if I had a windfall.... I would not mind pairing 7D with 5D......

So it really depends on user's need. I need a 60D... but i want a 7D...

Those with money will just hoot what they want.... me, I go for my needs... unless one day I make it as a pro..... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Saving for my 60D..........

Last edited:
Its the AF, the build and the fps that make it worth the $. Any one who has even remotely dabbled in journalistic sports would attest to it being worth the extra $. So what your camera is cheaper, its worthless if you can’t get the shot in the sporting arena.

Yah the 7D is very good for action shots. Wait for year end bonus see how ;p

if you are asking this, that means your photo-taking does not make use of the advantages of the 7D. You can therefore save your cash with the 60D.

Of course the other factors you pointed out are the other cost of getting a 7D.... as if it is worth it or not, being a leisure shooter, I see no reason for me to go for it, and 60D will be good enough for my shooting..... I am using my 400D for it currently... just that my subject is more on stilll life and portraits, and do not run around much.... hence, I do think 60D is just sufficient.... of course if I had a windfall.... I would not mind pairing 7D with 5D......

So it really depends on user's need. I need a 60D... but i want a 7D...

Those with money will just hoot what they want.... me, I go for my needs... unless one day I make it as a pro..... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Saving for my 60D..........

The 60D in my opinion is a great choice especially if you are upgrading from a 400D. You will notice a big difference between the two.

The 60D in my opinion is a great choice especially if you are upgrading from a 400D. You will notice a big difference between the two.

Yap... I tested the cam and got most of my queries answered and now.... saving it up...... ;) Maybe in 3 mths time, price will drip to below $1400 I hope... :bsmilie:

Guess I will just keep my CF cards for my 400D.... I got 4-5 of them.... that's the only sian part.... but SD card can slot into my laptop adapter readily... so I lose some and win some....

Last edited:
Yap... I tested the cam and got most of my queries answered and now.... saving it up...... ;) Maybe in 3 mths time, price will drip to below $1400 I hope... :bsmilie:

Guess I will just keep my CF cards for my 400D.... I got 4-5 of them.... that's the only sian part.... but SD card can slot into my laptop adapter readily... so I lose some and win some....

The prices will probably drop after the initial demand of the 60D dies down. Hopefully that will be within your 3 month window.

Are you going to continue to use your 400D as a backup? If so, your CF cards will continue to be useful.

The prices will probably drop after the initial demand of the 60D dies down.

that being said........... does anyone knows if the actual launch of the 60D have pushed the price of 50D down? have anyone enquired the price of the 50D recently?

that being said........... does anyone knows if the actual launch of the 60D have pushed the price of 50D down? have anyone enquired the price of the 50D recently?

I think there's not any shop with 50D in store..... I tried to get a 50D but to no avail as I wanted to use back CF card initially....

Then, I look around and getting SD card might not be such a bad idea either..... :)

The prices will probably drop after the initial demand of the 60D dies down. Hopefully that will be within your 3 month window.

Are you going to continue to use your 400D as a backup? If so, your CF cards will continue to be useful.

I am hoping when I am buying it, the price will drop... especially after Christmas.... I should hoot in Jan - Feb 2011 period.....

I will be using 400D still, but maybe more as a back up and the main cam will be the 60D..... Just noticed that my 400D have dead pixel in the LCD.... so..... a bit sian... but it has been 4 yrs plus, so expected to have problem... some where.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.