Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
although it sound silly but the articulating screen is something im looking at using on a 60D...but to compare w wat 7D has given...shld i just bite and go w 7D??? arrgghh

for that i know...60D will never be my last upgrade.the most last me a couple of years...

7D will last me as long as possible till i decide to go FF....

Canon has the habit of shooting themselves in the foot ... I wonder if they are competing against Nikon (and the rest) or against themselves. Each product line is kinda of killing the next one. Those who want to buy 1000D would consider throwing a bit more to get a better cam like 550D. Those who want to buy a 60D would consider throwing a bit more for a 7D ...

Canon has the habit of shooting themselves in the foot ... I wonder if they are competing against Nikon (and the rest) or against themselves. Each product line is kinda of killing the next one. Those who want to buy 1000D would consider throwing a bit more to get a better cam like 550D. Those who want to buy a 60D would consider throwing a bit more for a 7D ...

Nope... they have just done their marketing perfect!!!

So now... going by your logic.... if a person who want to buy a 100D got a 550 instead... the strategy has worked..... The difference between 1000 & 550 paid shows that they made the buyer up-buy the camera instead of a 1000D only.....

Only wished they kept the CF card for 60D...... I have quite a few CF card.... and might be forced to jump to 7D... see how they force your hands....

So I do not think they shoot themselves at all........ ;)

Nope... they have just done their marketing perfect!!!

So now... going by your logic.... if a person who want to buy a 100D got a 550 instead... the strategy has worked..... The difference between 1000 & 550 paid shows that they made the buyer up-buy the camera instead of a 1000D only.....

Only wished they kept the CF card for 60D...... I have quite a few CF card.... and might be forced to jump to 7D... see how they force your hands....

So I do not think they shoot themselves at all........ ;)

If that's the case then what about 1000D?

hey guys. i'm confused now. which do you think i should get, the 7d or would the 60d be good enough. the lens i'm using is tamron 17-50mm f2.8.. i'm sure with this new release, the 7d price might drop slightly, right?

was hoping to do some part time event photography too.. so what advice can you guys give me. thanks.. cheers!

I think if your skill is there..... the camera does not make that much diff......

Isnt it worst with Nikon? Their rumored d7000 is even better than the d300s less the AF. ;p

For first timer into DSLR... not all willing to go 550D... and there will be some who think the minimal is just enough... It is Canon basic DSLR... one to get buyers willing to spend $X on camera DSLR and it is the 1000D... and get them into the system.... and once they are into the Canon system.... it will be the lens and accessories.....

I tend to disagree with that. What you have precisely described is the success of Canon. They throw in a new product which not only can attract first time buyers, it also lures those torn in decision between 50/60D and 7D into making a decision. How can that be shooting in the foot?

Note that i am not a fanboy, but looking at how Canon do their marketing, how can they be killing their own product line? We shall wait and see.

For first timer into DSLR... not all willing to go 550D... and there will be some who think the minimal is just enough... It is Canon basic DSLR... one to get buyers willing to spend $X on camera DSLR and it is the 1000D... and get them into the system.... and once they are into the Canon system.... it will be the lens and accessories.....

There will be people willing to buy 1000D in fact nikon does it the similar way with D3000 i believe. 1000D draws a different group of users going for budget or basic route. However 1000D is definitely not their main product so we do have a company which targets their sales at a variety of consumer groups.

I tend to disagree with that. What you have precisely described is the success of Canon. They throw in a new product which not only can attract first time buyers, it also lures those torn in decision between 50/60D and 7D into making a decision. How can that be shooting in the foot?

Note that i am not a fanboy, but looking at how Canon do their marketing, how can they be killing their own product line? We shall wait and see.

I think that the biggest thing that camera manufacturers have done to keep most customers loyal to their brand, are manufacture lenses and accessories that fit and operate only on their system.... proprietary system.

After being a loyal Canon customer for years and accumulating many lenses and accessories, it would be a great financial loss for me to sell everything and start from scratch with another manufacturer.

Can you imagine a world where lenses were created by an international standard and could fit any camera body, regardless of manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Yashica, Contax, Lumix, Kodak, Fuji, Leica, to name just a few). Switching bodies would be effortless. But such is not the case. Whether we feel that the Canon 60D was a huge disappointment or not (shooting themselves in the foot), most of us will continue to use Canon products because we are virtually "locked" into their system.

Now that's what I call marketing!

Last edited:
I think that the biggest thing that camera manufacturers have done to keep most customers loyal to their brand, are manufacture lenses and accessories that fit and operate only on their system.... proprietary system.

After being a loyal Canon customer for years and accumulating many lenses and accessories, it would be a great financial loss for me to sell everything and start from scratch with another manufacturer.

Can you imagine a world where lenses were created by an international standard and could fit any camera body, regardless of manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Yashica, Contax, Lumix, Kodak, Fuji, Leica, to name just a few). Switching bodies would be effortless. But such is not the case. Whether we feel that the Canon 60D was a huge disappointment or not (shooting themselves in the foot), most of us will continue to use Canon products because we are virtually "locked" into their system.

totally agreed with you. Well said.
until for years of Canon user, is really hard to make a change.:sweat:

Every camera manufacturer has succeeded more or less in that. Though I do know of (rich) people who own a Canon and Nikon system at the same time. The way I see it, 60D disappointment or not, there will still be people getting the camera for a variety of reasons, and if the specs tweak attracted these purchases, then it may be seen as a success for their marketing.

I think this is a rather attractive camera for beginners, although we don't yet know the pricing yet.

Every camera manufacturer has succeeded more or less in that. Though I do know of (rich) people who own a Canon and Nikon system at the same time. The way I see it, 60D disappointment or not, there will still be people getting the camera for a variety of reasons, and if the specs tweak attracted these purchases, then it may be seen as a success for their marketing.

I think this is a rather attractive camera for beginners, although we don't yet know the pricing yet.
While i'm going 'meh' at the details i can imagine it being quite attractive for a niche of people who want better than the 550D's small body but cannot afford the 7D. So Yea it depends on your perspective looking at it.

Besides, its form factor looks rather nice. Looking at 3 of them, 550D > 60D > 7D, really like a happy family lol.

no one mention abt the articulating screen...can i know how many realli think that is a value add on???

i always wanted one..esp when trying to shoot from special angle...my current 400D don allow me any live view also...haha

I think the 60D is a nice addition to Canon's lineup. It's certainly nice to have an option if you're looking for Canon DSLR with swivel LCD. Good decision by Canon :thumbsup:

no one mention abt the articulating screen...can i know how many realli think that is a value add on???

i always wanted one..esp when trying to shoot from special angle...my current 400D don allow me any live view also...haha

I think that the articulating screen is a nice feature and one that will eventually be added to most if not all Canon DSLR's. This will be a benefit to low ground and special angle shots.

One other feature that made headlines for the 7D but no one has mentioned it for the 60D, is the Integrated Speedlite transmitter. This is one of the features that sets the 60D apart from the xxxD series. I doubt that very few people buying a DSLR for the first time would ever use this feature... too complicated.

I have one friend who went from Canon to Sony purely because of articulated preview screen; he likes to take pictures beyond eye level.

He has been waiting for this for a very long time; wonder if he'll jump back to Canon now.

I have one friend who went from Canon to Sony purely because of articulated preview screen; he likes to take pictures beyond eye level.

He has been waiting for this for a very long time; wonder if he'll jump back to Canon now.

Must be very expensive for him to switch from one system to another. I know that it would be for me. Hopefully, he will put a canon to his head again... like the rest of us. ;)

Must be very expensive for him to switch from one system to another. I know that it would be for me. Hopefully, he will put a canon to his head again... like the rest of us. ;)
he wasn't exactly a heavy investor into lenses. so it's not a big loss either way.

thats why i hold on to my 400D like forever...and 7D came as a surprise...but then i still wait...all becos i wanted an articulating screen....its realli super useful...at least minimumly i don need to lie on the floor to shoot some macro!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.