Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I've thought about this day and night for some time now. I realise you can never have everything. You have to compromise somewhere. The main thing I really want is to take great nighttime landscape shots with amazing image quality. I don't know whether I'll be in Singapore for another year or another 10 years, but I want to take some amazing photos to take home with me.

With that in mind, I'm really leaning towards perhaps a Canon 450D and the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM lens. A couple of reasons for this. First, even though the Canon 450D is a basic camera, I'm just a newbie. I'd rather learn how to use the camera to its full potential first and then upgrade to something better when something better comes along (I'm really not impressed with the Canon 500D or 50D). Another reason is if I want stunning images, I get less noise with a 12MP sensor than I do with a 15MP sensor (at the moment, anyway). Also, the Canon lens I stated has superb image quality. It's L series optics, just not as ruggedly built or weathersealed. A fairly hefty price to pay though. I also feel that Canon's medium quality lenses (translation: in between kit or all-in-one lenses and the top of the line F/2.8 lenses) offer a good range and I'm quite happy with them. I feel that a lot of Nikon lenses I would be looking at (I said *I* would be looking at, this is all subjective and I'm not making any claims) tend to be a bit slow. I tried a kind ClubSNAPper's Nikon D90 and 18-105 lens and I found the autofocus to be a bit slow under indoor lighting. Maybe it was just me, I don't have much experience to compare it to.

When I've played around with the 17-55 lens for a while I will look at adding a EF 24-105L F/4 lens too. I really don't want to start off with a kit lens because I'd rather just buy something great to start off with. I know I run the risk of losing out if I decide its not for me, but I could always purchase second hand I guess. The kit lens has had such bad reviews I just don't want to go near it.

The other advantage is that the 17-55 is a lightweight lens, and because Canon EF/EF-S lenses all have motors built in, the 450D body is motorless and very light (although admittedly terrible ergonomics...one thing I will just put up with until a better model comes along).

Does this sound reasonable? Or am I being foolish? The main disadvantages I see are that I spend a lot of money (a waste if I decide it's not for me), and I have two lenses instead of a great walkaround lens. But I can carry the lenses across to a future camera and they'll still be fantastic lenses.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their advice, I am *slowly* starting to make up my mind.

I'd really love an ideal walkaround lens along the lines of 17-85 in focal range. Unfortunately Canon's model is aging (and not really highly praised in reviews) and Nikon's is a bit slow at the telephoto end.

If I went Canon, I'm tempted to get the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM (L series optics, just not the build quality) and an EF 24-105L F/4. It's an expensive option, and I really would have preferred to throw good money into a walkaround lens to save the hassle of changing lenses and carrying 2 around. From what I can see (please correct me if I'm wrong, pretty much all lenses in the 17-85 segment are a bit slow at the telephoto end.

If I went Nikon, I'd probably get the 16-85 lens but where to upgrade from there? I don't want to go straight to F/2.8 (I don't want to go there at all...it's just too heavy). Canon have a lovely group of F/4 lenses in their L series range. Nikon don't seem to have a range like this in their product lineup.

I know Sigma have some good all-round focal length lenses available, but they lack IS/VR. I really want IS/VR.

So from what it seems to me, it looks like Nikon have a better all in one lens, while Canon has (in my price and weight bracket) better individual lenses as future upgrades. All purely subjective of course, according to my needs, budget etc.

Has anyone had to choose between a better all-in-one lens or better lenses at specific focal ranges? I really don't know what to do.

I love, and I want to choose so called "OEM" lenses, but I cannot afford the price. So, I choose 3rd party, happy with it now, probably upgrade later.

Well, I felt that, sometimes we cannot have evereything we want (every specs) when buying electronic goods (Cameras, cell phones, lap tops), I have coimpared everything when I want to purchased my cell phone, yet at the end I go for the one I like. Well, probably that's just me.

bro..u really think alot sia...

since u like the 450D..go get it plus a battery grip along with the lens u wanted lor..

see so easy rite..solved ur problem..;)

bro..u really think alot sia...

since u like the 450D..go get it plus a battery grip along with the lens u wanted lor..

see so easy rite..solved ur problem..;)

Battery grip is only useful for holding the camera portrait-style instead of horizontally right? I wouldn't be using it for that, and don't want the weight. And I don't actually like the 450D, I just think it makes sense to start basic and upgrade when my skills are better than what the camera offers. I'm also looking at the lenses, and I do like the Canon lenses. But thanks for your advice :) I'm taking everything on board.

I love, and I want to choose so called "OEM" lenses, but I cannot afford the price. So, I choose 3rd party, happy with it now, probably upgrade later.

Well, I felt that, sometimes we cannot have evereything we want (every specs) when buying electronic goods (Cameras, cell phones, lap tops), I have coimpared everything when I want to purchased my cell phone, yet at the end I go for the one I like. Well, probably that's just me.

Agree with you 100%. I just wish third party lenses had image stabilisation! It is such a useful feature I feel. Both for tripod at night because of long exposure times (especially if its windy) and handheld in low light. I don't think I could do without it.

You know what, I've thought about this day and night for some time now. I realise you can never have everything. You have to compromise somewhere. The main thing I really want is to take great nighttime landscape shots with amazing image quality. I don't know whether I'll be in Singapore for another year or another 10 years, but I want to take some amazing photos to take home with me.

With that in mind, I'm really leaning towards perhaps a Canon 450D and the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM lens. A couple of reasons for this. First, even though the Canon 450D is a basic camera, I'm just a newbie. I'd rather learn how to use the camera to its full potential first and then upgrade to something better when something better comes along (I'm really not impressed with the Canon 500D or 50D). Another reason is if I want stunning images, I get less noise with a 12MP sensor than I do with a 15MP sensor (at the moment, anyway). Also, the Canon lens I stated has superb image quality. It's L series optics, just not as ruggedly built or weathersealed. A fairly hefty price to pay though. I also feel that Canon's medium quality lenses (translation: in between kit or all-in-one lenses and the top of the line F/2.8 lenses) offer a good range and I'm quite happy with them. I feel that a lot of Nikon lenses I would be looking at (I said *I* would be looking at, this is all subjective and I'm not making any claims) tend to be a bit slow. I tried a kind ClubSNAPper's Nikon D90 and 18-105 lens and I found the autofocus to be a bit slow under indoor lighting. Maybe it was just me, I don't have much experience to compare it to.

When I've played around with the 17-55 lens for a while I will look at adding a EF 24-105L F/4 lens too. I really don't want to start off with a kit lens because I'd rather just buy something great to start off with. I know I run the risk of losing out if I decide its not for me, but I could always purchase second hand I guess. The kit lens has had such bad reviews I just don't want to go near it.

The other advantage is that the 17-55 is a lightweight lens, and because Canon EF/EF-S lenses all have motors built in, the 450D body is motorless and very light (although admittedly terrible ergonomics...one thing I will just put up with until a better model comes along).

Does this sound reasonable? Or am I being foolish? The main disadvantages I see are that I spend a lot of money (a waste if I decide it's not for me), and I have two lenses instead of a great walkaround lens. But I can carry the lenses across to a future camera and they'll still be fantastic lenses.

Most of your points is what I'm trying to convey in my previous post.
17-55 is a perfect lens for Canon crop. That's why it is so expensive.

My suggestion: you may want to hold for purchasing 24-105, you can test the 17-55 a few times first. You may not know, you just need this focal range.

I like the light weight of 450D, though pros prefer more solid (and adds weight) body

My experienced, once you almost decide, stop look into this forum, go to shop, test and go for it. Never look back.

Good luck and it is the time to start shooting...

Last edited:
Battery grip is only useful for holding the camera portrait-style instead of horizontally right? I wouldn't be using it for that, and don't want the weight. And I don't actually like the 450D, I just think it makes sense to start basic and upgrade when my skills are better than what the camera offers. I'm also looking at the lenses, and I do like the Canon lenses. But thanks for your advice :) I'm taking everything on board.

See Here and Here on why u need battery grip...:)

See Here and Here on why u need battery grip...:)

Lol, thanks for the effort. But honestly, I won't be shooting portraits, I don't want the added weight, and I don't need the extra battery :)

Can I ask, assuming I was going to get a Nikon body, what would be the best lens to use for landscapes (wide angle zoom)? The wide angle part of the 'holy trinity' is probably too expensive and heavy. Is there anything else that's comparable to the Canon EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM?

Ah just found the AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED but it's 120 grams heavier and has no VR from what I can see. Seems to be more expensive too :(

Last edited:
Can I ask, assuming I was going to get a Nikon body, what would be the best lens to use for landscapes (wide angle zoom)? The wide angle part of the 'holy trinity' is probably too expensive and heavy. Is there anything else that's comparable to the Canon EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM?

Assuming you're getting D90, I think the new AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED ????

16-85 VR is one of the best DX lenses in Nikon.. it's not ultra-wide but it may get most of the jobs done..a (99%)perfect walkabout lens too :)

Agree with you 100%. I just wish third party lenses had image stabilisation! It is such a useful feature I feel. Both for tripod at night because of long exposure times (especially if its windy) and handheld in low light. I don't think I could do without it.

Some 3rd party lens models do have image stabalization. On Sigma, it's called OS (optical stabalization), and on Tamron, it's called VC (vibration compensation).

hi melbourneguy,

i didnt read from page 1 to 9, but from the few pages that i have read, it seems to me that you got the money, and seems to lean more towards canon.

so may i suggest that you go to the store and get a canon dslr of your choice, buy a couple of lens too, get whatever that makes you happy, AND start using in.

happy shooting. :thumbsup:

Lol, I'm not rich and the money is going to hurt, but I see it as an investment that should last years. I figure a good camera + amazing lens will take better photos than a fantastic camera + just a good lens.

Lol, I'm not rich and the money is going to hurt, but I see it as an investment that should last years. I figure a good camera + amazing lens will take better photos than a fantastic camera + just a good lens.

hey TS, what are you actually prefer huh?? D90 or 500D?? if you like canon lens then i shall direct you back to the canon. it is becos at the end of the day "len" is the one which you will invest in, no the body.

hey TS, what are you actually prefer huh?? D90 or 500D?? if you like canon lens then i shall direct you back to the canon. it is becos at the end of the day "len" is the one which you will invest in, no the body.

That's why I chose Canon. For the lenses. Look past the 'holy trinity' for a second, because I'm never going to buy them anyway - too expensive and too heavy.

I love the way Canon's L series have an F/4 range of lenses. They're fantastic. I've looked, and Nikon doesn't seem to have this similar range.

I don't actually like the Canon 450D or 500D (or even 50D). I'll get the 450D for now since the sensor is good and with a great lens it can take some stunning pictures. I'll learn my basics on that and by that time hopefully there's a 550D or 60D which would make a great upgrade.

Wide angle, try the Nikon 12-24 or Tokina 12-24 (great build like a tank)?
Walkabout like the 17-55 try the 18-200 or 24-120 if the 17-55 is too ex or heavy?

Errr...after 9pgs liao...so when u gonna get ur cam?? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.