Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think it's necessary to put the batt grip in there.
if you're putting everything together for convenience, don't forget battery, filters, flash, etc.
Lots of ppl like to recommend bigger size to 'future-proof' it. 23L seems REALLY small. 38L may be ok but might still be kinda tight as time goes by. 50L ?? :)

Hmm there's a big price difference going to 50L. Maybe the 38L then? I don't intend on collecting a huge number of lenses. 3 absolute tops. And if I go back to Australia I'll have to sell it at a loss anyway. I'll have another look at the sizes when I'm in Cathay Photo today.

welcome to light, my young one..:bsmilie:

Do join our 450D thread in kopitam..;)

anyway, dry cab no nn to get so big lah since u not gonna get so many lens...btw, I got a 30L digi cab with 5lenses lor..

Getting an Akarui dry cabinet tomorrow. I have the choice of either a 23L or 38L. What do you guys recommend?
All I'm going to store is the body, kit lens, a second lens later on and a battery grip. I'll probably keep my P&S Canon Ixus in there as well.

Hmm there's a big price difference going to 50L. Maybe the 38L then? I don't intend on collecting a huge number of lenses. 3 absolute tops. And if I go back to Australia I'll have to sell it at a loss anyway. I'll have another look at the sizes when I'm in Cathay Photo today.

Hi MelbourneGuy:) I'd suggest to get 38L (if you find you really don't need the size of a 50L) and thru my experience is that getting a slightly bigger size will be better in any case if you were to store more items eg. future lenses, filters, memory-cards or things that easily get/turn mould other than camera-equipments(these are just my thought and preferrence only), etc;).

Well, hope the above helps in your decision-making:cool:.

Getting an Akarui dry cabinet tomorrow. I have the choice of either a 23L or 38L. What do you guys recommend?
All I'm going to store is the body, kit lens, a second lens later on and a battery grip. I'll probably keep my P&S Canon Ixus in there as well.

If you are thinking of the L lenses...get a bigger dry cabi.

I think 23L is too small. for digicabi, it is 30L the smallest size. 30 L suits me. Maybe you should get 38L

Ok I finally got my 50L Akarui dry cabinet home today! Were you guys joking when you recommended a 50L for just a body + kit lens? It's HUGE!

OMG. I'm wondering whether I should take it back and get the 38L. Then I have to buy something else at Cathay Photo with the $100 difference :(

Last edited:
I just went on the advice here. The 50L comes in a tall version with 3 shelves, or a wide version with 2 shelves. I got the taller one because I wasn't sure the wider one would fit on my desk (it does though). Not sure if that was the right decision. I figured 3 shelves lets me store cameras on one, battery grip / flash etc on another, and then lenses by themselves. I'm not sure though. I'm half thinking of exchanging it for the 38L one.

Congratulations on your purchase of the Canon EOS 450D. It's really an excellent camera... I brought it out for street shooting before... it's not mine, but I had half a mind not to return it after a day with it!

Just a word of advice for your choice of tripod... the 055 is really hardcore for bringing around with you. The weight of a tripod always seem to double once you bring it out of the air-con camera store, so I'd really advice getting the 190 instead.

You mentioned about the 190 not reaching your eye level... so I just wanna say two things... when you mount a head and your camera on the tripod, the "eye-level" goes up significantly. And the second-thing is... why are you concerned about it being at your eye-level? I know it's comfortable not to hunch, but the best angles are seldom at eye-level. The most important criteria for me when choosing a tripod is reasonable height, stability, flexibility (in angling the tripod) and weight. No matter how good a tripod is, if I loath to bring it out because of its weight, it's as good as not having a tripod.

And yes... I've a 190 and 055... guess which one stays at home? :bsmilie:

Congratulations on your purchase of the Canon EOS 450D. It's really an excellent camera... I brought it out for street shooting before... it's not mine, but I had half a mind not to return it after a day with it!

Just a word of advice for your choice of tripod... the 055 is really hardcore for bringing around with you. The weight of a tripod always seem to double once you bring it out of the air-con camera store, so I'd really advice getting the 190 instead.

You mentioned about the 190 not reaching your eye level... so I just wanna say two things... when you mount a head and your camera on the tripod, the "eye-level" goes up significantly. And the second-thing is... why are you concerned about it being at your eye-level? I know it's comfortable not to hunch, but the best angles are seldom at eye-level. The most important criteria for me when choosing a tripod is reasonable height, stability, flexibility (in angling the tripod) and weight. No matter how good a tripod is, if I loath to bring it out because of its weight, it's as good as not having a tripod.

And yes... I've a 190 and 055... guess which one stays at home? :bsmilie:

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at tripods at Cathay today. The 055 is about $500. The Gitzo alternative was $900. Damn. But the Gitzo is so beautiful! Lol.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at tripods at Cathay today. The 055 is about $500. The Gitzo alternative was $900. Damn. But the Gitzo is so beautiful! Lol.

i can sense the BBB poison has affected u seriously !!

Ok I finally got my 50L Akarui dry cabinet home today! Were you guys joking when you recommended a 50L for just a body + kit lens? It's HUGE!

OMG. I'm wondering whether I should take it back and get the 38L. Then I have to buy something else at Cathay Photo with the $100 difference :(

You won't regret...I regretted before getting a 38L then 50L the 100L eventually. Should have just gone to the 100L directly...even now it is full.....:angry:

I exchanged my 50L for the 38L. Seriously, all I have is the body with kit lens attached. That's it! I put my P&S in there just to make it look not so empty. I'll probably get one or two lenses, perhaps a flash...but they can all live quite nicely in a 38L cabinet. With the price difference (had to buy something else) I got a Lowepro Flipside 200 backpack. And I just got back from the Canon Gift Redemption Centre at Harbourfront with my 8GB memory card, Canon EOS bag and Canon 450D User Manual. That should be everything for a while :)

Last edited:
I exchanged my 50L for the 38L. Seriously, all I have is the body with kit lens attached. That's it! I put my P&S in there just to make it look not so empty. I'll probably get one or two lenses, perhaps a flash...but they can all live quite nicely in a 38L cabinet. With the price difference (had to buy something else) I got a Lowepro Flipside 200 backpack. And I just got back from the Canon Gift Redemption Centre at Harbourfront with my 8GB memory card, Canon EOS bag and Canon 450D User Manual. That should be everything for a while :)

cleaning kit? 50mm or UWA lens? :devil:

cleaning kit? 50mm or UWA lens? :devil:

Don't tempt me! :p

So how do I sign up with this 450D group and when are their outings? I'm keen to get out with other users and pick up some tips :)

Pity that everybody's going to be jumping on the 500D bandwagon. They're not going to think us 450D users are 'cool' any more. Lol.

It's interesting when everyone is into their choice and yet everyone still want get opinion from everybody.

Basically all dSLRs have their pros and cons. What's most important is the type of photography you are into. Like what melbourneguy has mentioned into the beginning that he is into night photography, which mean low-light photography. So he should be looking into the following:-

1) Which dSLR able to handle low-light well?
2) Any budget constrain?
3) Lenses is an important part, but will you be using all the lenses & are you able to own all the lenses under each of the brand name?
4) Also do consider if you are going to do any post print out? If you are doing big kinda print out then practically you need the higher MP. But at times the result might not be ideal if that dSLR with higher MP like 15 and above, but not able to handle low-light well enough, it can be disappointing.

Basically, the most important is the person behind the camera. There are many ways to discuss about which brand produce which better dSLRs or lenses. Whatever it is, the choice is yours.

Don't tempt me! :p

So how do I sign up with this 450D group and when are their outings? I'm keen to get out with other users and pick up some tips :)

Pity that everybody's going to be jumping on the 500D bandwagon. They're not going to think us 450D users are 'cool' any more. Lol.

join? no need lah...just join in and TCSS..

Click HERE.., u can also click on the link on my signature to see any latest 450D outing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.