Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't one of the criticisms of Canon, was them changing the lens mount about 15-20 years ago? That made all the older lenses obsolete, right?

If you talk about using lens in the manual way like nikon's older lenses...then all Canon old lenses still can be use and they are not obsolete. For 15-20 years canon has created more variety of lenses as compared to Nikon especially in the primes lenses. from 50F1.0 to 200F1.8, 35F1.4, 24F1.4, 85F1.2, 50F1.2, 14F2.8, I have many Nikon and even other brands users switch to Canon just because of these lens. Bokeh and low light photography with AF has never been sweeter. Others may argue that 3rd party has these lenses, but does it have AF capability?:dunno:

no worry. which body are you going towards till now?

Actually I really don't know. A kind ClubSNAPper let me play with his Nikon D90 today and I really do love it, it feels great and the controls are layed out so well. But it's 200g heavier than the Canon, which doesn't sound like much but it becomes a bit heavy after a while. Especially when factoring in the lens and a tripod if I need one.

I'm also concerned about the noise with the Canon 500D. Part of me thinks I should just get the 450D since I'm only a newbie and it would serve its purpose until I upgrade later. The only real disadvantage with the 450D is that its ergonomics don't feel nice for me...I wrap my hand around the handgrip but its not big enough so my fingers kind of just bunch up if you know what I mean. The Nikon D5000 isn't my cup of tea. Not saying there's anything wrong with it...it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

after abt 6pgs, still haven't buy ur cam ah?? :devil:

Actually I really don't know. A kind ClubSNAPper let me play with his Nikon D90 today and I really do love it, it feels great and the controls are layed out so well. But it's 200g heavier than the Canon, which doesn't sound like much but it becomes a bit heavy after a while. Especially when factoring in the lens and a tripod if I need one.

I'm also concerned about the noise with the Canon 500D. Part of me thinks I should just get the 450D since I'm only a newbie and it would serve its purpose until I upgrade later. The only real disadvantage with the 450D is that its ergonomics don't feel nice for me...I wrap my hand around the handgrip but its not big enough so my fingers kind of just bunch up if you know what I mean. The Nikon D5000 isn't my cup of tea. Not saying there's anything wrong with it...it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

i think yesterday i have comment something for you. i mention with lens the whole camera weigh even more heavier and you should take note of the total mounted weight too.

so in conclusion i think you are more towards Nikon so dont worry, go ahead on this D90. a little more heavy is not an issue but you assure to yourself already that D90 fit well onto your hand and your heart is hook onto it too.

FYI, i am a canon user but i reccomend my own brother for D90......

Last edited:
i think yesterday i have comment something for you. i mention with lens the whole camera weigh even more heavier and you should take note of the total mounted weight too.

so in conclusion i think you are more towards Nikon so dont worry, go ahead on this D90. a little more heavy is not an issue but you assure to yourself already that D90 fit well onto your hand and your heart is hook onto it too.

FYI, i am a canon user but i reccomend my own brother for D90......

Lol. I know, no matter what I choose, there will be things I like and things I don't like about it. I know that Nikon and Canon keep leapfrogging each other all the time, and at the moment I feel that Nikon has better offerings in the new to enthusiast level. I'll consider overnight and look at the prices of the various options.

Assuming I did get a Nikon, what's generally regarded as the best walkaround lens? I'm reading a couple of reviews but I see some comments about barrel distortion and chromatic aberration at certain focal lengths with the 16-85, 18-105 and 18-200 lenses. Is there a walkaround lens closer to an "L series" equivalent? I'm interested in night time landscapes so I need to go wide and have some ability to get into a mild telephoto...85mm would do but anything more is a bonus as long as performance through the range doesn't suffer.

Last edited:
Assuming I did get a Nikon, what's generally regarded as the best walkaround lens? I'm reading a couple of reviews but I see some comments about barrel distortion and chromatic aberration at certain focal lengths with the 16-85, 18-105 and 18-200 lenses. Is there a walkaround lens closer to an "L series" equivalent? I'm interested in night time landscapes so I need to go wide and have some ability to get into a mild telephoto...85mm would do but anything more is a bonus as long as performance through the range doesn't suffer.

i think i dun want to comment so much abt nikon lens wait people shoot me again.

for walk ard i think the kits 18-105 is suitable for the range. if you want to look for a supplement lens, you can get the tamron 17-50f2.8 or 28-75f2.8. both lens is quite reputable in their performance and IQ. not exp also.

hey MelbourneGuy

Call me up when u wanna purchase your camera. possible?

Cheers
Shaz

omg..... whats so difficult about buying a camera? from the way you speak you seems like you are going to buy a lot of lens and blah blah blah, if you really have that kind of

money why don't you compare 5D mII and D700 or other higher ends, speaking of weather proof, i think its nothing much because i don't think that you would be spending

your time in the rain or what ever weather it can sustain, by the time the camera really rot i think you will be sick of it already and its again time to compare newer cams,

of course there are lots of comments for different lens and different point of view from everyone, but have you put your hands on a dslr and try to do some settings to it

and take a night pic? even with a very ex and good lens and a very good cam wrong settings not enough practise also == zero

Interesting hot topic...

One more thing i noticed is when u have a lousy PNS, you wished to have a better DSLR. And when you have DSLR, you would want to have a compact PNS for light travelling, so in the end, you end up with both...or more...

A lot people own a PnS as their back up, to use it when they don't want heavy DSLR, and willing to compromise the image quality

Hmm don't understand, noise of 450D should be almost same with 500D? (If both of them have 'noise')

i think i dun want to comment so much abt nikon lens wait people shoot me again.

for walk ard i think the kits 18-105 is suitable for the range. if you want to look for a supplement lens, you can get the tamron 17-50f2.8 or 28-75f2.8. both lens is quite reputable in their performance and IQ. not exp also.

One thing I like about D90 is the kit 18-105, I feel it is a good walkabout, good coverage.

For the weight issue, have you tried to imagine how the weight will 'feel' like when you carry a camera back pack (vs camera shoulder bag)? My own experience: if I use a good, comfortable back pack, it will make the cam feels 'lighter'.

I walk for whole day with 2 kg of camera + lens + 0.84kg shoulder bag, very tiring.
2 kg of camera + lens + 1.4kg backpack, feels ok.

Interesting hot topic...

A lot people own a PnS as their back up, to use it when they don't want heavy DSLR, and willing to compromise the image quality

Hmm don't understand, noise of 450D should be almost same with 500D? (If both of them have 'noise')

One thing I like about D90 is the kit 18-105, I feel it is a good walkabout, good coverage.

For the weight issue, have you tried to imagine how the weight will 'feel' like when you carry a camera back pack (vs camera shoulder bag)? My own experience: if I use a good, comfortable back pack, it will make the cam feels 'lighter'.

I walk for whole day with 2 kg of camera + lens + 0.84kg shoulder bag, very tiring.
2 kg of camera + lens + 1.4kg backpack, feels ok.

Noise with the 500D comes from cramming more MP onto same size sensor as the 450D. It is the biggest criticism of the 50D/500D camera.

You are absolutely right about carrying gear properly. My chiropractor told me to carry any sort of bag over both shoulders, never just over one, even school bags. Very important.

Noise with the 500D comes from cramming more MP onto same size sensor as the 450D. It is the biggest criticism of the 50D/500D camera.

You are absolutely right about carrying gear properly. My chiropractor told me to carry any sort of bag over both shoulders, never just over one, even school bags. Very important.

Is the 500D definitely "noisier" than the 450D at the same ISO setting? I've not done any research in this area, i'm afraid.
I used to think that more megapixels into same-size sensor = more noise, but the D90 (12mp vs D80's 10mp) proved me wrong. Sometimes technology can overcome some boundaries.

With regards to the weight issue, I doubt a couple of hundred grams diff in cam body weight makes much of a difference when carrying it around in a bag.
Now I usually carry around D80 + kit lens + 50/1.8 + SB600. If I were to keep everything the same, but upgrade to D300 (about 200g more I think), I don't feel the difference. I actually tried this with a friend's D700, and the difference could not be felt on my shoulders. ~shrug~ but then again I did not carry it around for hours. I suppose either way my shoulders would also ache a bit ;)

You want the Nikon equivalent of the 24-105 f/4L? hmmmmmmm :think:
I dunno leh. I think there isn't a direct rival. 18-105 competes on focal range but not on build quality, since it's a kit lens. It feels solid enough to me though.

Is the 500D definitely "noisier" than the 450D at the same ISO setting? I've not done any research in this area, i'm afraid.
I used to think that more megapixels into same-size sensor = more noise, but the D90 (12mp vs D80's 10mp) proved me wrong. Sometimes technology can overcome some boundaries.

With regards to the weight issue, I doubt a couple of hundred grams diff in cam body weight makes much of a difference when carrying it around in a bag.
Now I usually carry around D80 + kit lens + 50/1.8 + SB600. If I were to keep everything the same, but upgrade to D300 (about 200g more I think), I don't feel the difference. I actually tried this with a friend's D700, and the difference could not be felt on my shoulders. ~shrug~ but then again I did not carry it around for hours. I suppose either way my shoulders would also ache a bit ;)

500D using DIGIC 4 and can go up to ISO 12800 while 450D is DIGIC 3 Processor only allow up to ISO 1600.....you make your judgement yourself from there.

omg..... whats so difficult about buying a camera? from the way you speak you seems like you are going to buy a lot of lens and blah blah blah, if you really have that kind of

money why don't you compare 5D mII and D700 or other higher ends, speaking of weather proof, i think its nothing much because i don't think that you would be spending

your time in the rain or what ever weather it can sustain, by the time the camera really rot i think you will be sick of it already and its again time to compare newer cams,

of course there are lots of comments for different lens and different point of view from everyone, but have you put your hands on a dslr and try to do some settings to it

and take a night pic? even with a very ex and good lens and a very good cam wrong settings not enough practise also == zero

aiyah you don't have to put your point across like that. For every impulsive shopper who justs buy-buy-buy, there is someone who likes to consider all the factors first before making a purchase decision. After all, spending >$1K on a DSLR kit is still fairly serious money.

I do agree with you that being able to use the camera well will ultimately reap more rewards than focusing on all the technical details. To TS, just sleep on this issue tonight and make your purchase decision when you're comfortable.

I dunno leh. I think there isn't a direct rival. 18-105 competes on focal range but not on build quality, since it's a kit lens. It feels solid enough to me though.

I'm reading some reviews now. It seems that the Nikon 16-85 has the sharpest picture quality for a walkaround lens. Would you agree? Can't get past a little bit of sharpness and distortion issues though from what I'm reading.

The Canon 24-105 L series would have been lovely...on a full frame sensor. It loses the wide angle end a bit too much for me. If I went for a Canon, I'd probably get the EF-S 17-85 lens as my walkaround. Some compromises, but a pretty good all round performer.

If TS dream to own a L - lens, then go with Canon. No point buying a Nikon and keep wondering what is the equivalant. Just get the real thing.:sweatsm:

500D using DIGIC 4 and can go up to ISO 12800 while 450D is DIGIC 3 Processor only allow up to ISO 1600.....you make your judgement yourself from there.

Allowing the Canon 500D to go up to ISO 12800 is purely a marketing gimmick I believe. The pictures aren't usable. That's not my opinion, it come straight from here...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml

I don't know too much about Nikon's history, but did the D90 sensor mark the beginning of Nikon's change from CCD to CMOS sensors? And 12MP at the time was pretty mature by then. Would that explain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.