Calling all Audiophiles : Recommendations on speaker cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminations are better in the long run as they don't oxidize as much as bare wire and it protects the wire from oxidising further.

Banana plugs are more convenient but can be fragile. Spades are generally preferred as they are more robust.

Zerstorer said:
Terminations are better in the long run as they don't oxidize as much as bare wire and it protects the wire from oxidising further.

Banana plugs are more convenient but can be fragile. Spades are generally preferred as they are more robust.

Thanks bro :)

in what way is banana plug more fragile?

Using banana jacks on most of my speakers/amp. Its true, that they're more fragile, especially if its tight. One might just break the jack.

Spades which i'm also using for another system, on the other hand, more robust but they're not for ALL banana binding posts.

Zerstorer said:

Well some people might say that the termination 'changes' the sound...... Me, I am just too cheap to terminate most of my cables.

So I prefer bare wire. You're right that it oxidizes but a small dose of Deoxit or Cramolin slows that down tremendously.

Came across this brand from some net discussion site recently:

Anticables.com

The testimonials are sensational enough to want to try the stuff. The prices are just as sensational if the testimonials are to be believed.

Also checkout: Audioart's super cheap cables (professionally terminated DH Labs cables) which has had more than a few fans

thanks kahheng :)

I've bought the 4S11 last friday, biwire configuration, terminate with banana plugs. Robert's workers are so kind to do a wonderful job of putting together the cables n plugs, got heat-strink some more! haha!

However when i got home, realized the bananas are too big for my system.. I don't know such sizes exist. In the past when i used branded cables, the banana plugs perfectly into my system.

So probably tomorrow go back and ask for exchange. Right now using barewire, and the sound really opens up a lot. So much details is revealed. Background instruments tends to be more audible. My only complain is that vocals could be more musical - but i think the problem lies in my speaker :bsmilie:

hehe... think you're asking too much from a budget speaker ;p

btw how much did you pay for your cables?

Xing said:
hehe... think you're asking too much from a budget speaker ;p

btw how much did you pay for your cables?

Indeed indeed!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I paid $5 for a metre of the 4S11, $3 a piece of banana plug.
Got 3 metres for each channel, 12 banana plugs (biwire), total $66.

For quotations and recommendations/suggestions, go to Robert (the boss of LHS). He's a really really nice and humble guy.

By the way how you guys put the speaker on speaker stand? I put bluetack in between. Any better suggestion?

blutack all the way (pea-size will do). have you tried putting a piece of brick on top of your speakers, will do wonders for your mids and the lows. I've got a concrete slab on top of mine :bsmilie:

Xing said:
blutack all the way (pea-size will do). have you tried putting a piece of brick on top of your speakers, will do wonders for your mids and the lows. I've got a concrete slab on top of mine :bsmilie:

Can dumb bell do the job? It's heavy. Hehe

any idea how much does a starter set would cost? I know it varies but wonder what will $1 to 2k get me?

code said:
any idea how much does a starter set would cost? I know it varies but wonder what will $1 to 2k get me?

$1 will get you nothing. :bsmilie: 2K will get you a good system. If not an above average one.

$700 on CDP
$650 on amp
$550 on speakers
$100 on interconnects and accessories.

Try to spend more on the CDP, as often, its the source that make or break a system.

afbug said:
$1 will get you nothing. :bsmilie: 2K will get you a good system. If not an above average one.

$700 on CDP
$650 on amp
$550 on speakers
$100 on interconnects and accessories.

Try to spend more on the CDP, as often, its the source that make or break a system.

Yes i second that!

Code you can go to echoloft.com.sg forum and source out cheap second hand sets that are equally good as brand new (sometimes even better because they have been run-in).

mine is almost all second hand except my speaker cable and speaker. And i must really admit my CDP (marantz CD63MKII KI-signature S$600+ 2nd hand) is truly awesome. Replace it with a Pioneer DVD player and the difference is so huge anyone could spot it.

Well the only qualms i have about my system is the clinical sound produced by my Tannoy speakers... How i wish i could have a more musical system hehehehe

code said:

Welcome to the CRAZY bandwagon of buy buy buy ... if photography doesn't burn a hole in your pocket - Audio will :devil: :bsmilie:

CDP is important. But if you feel that radio is important and you listen to mainly the few major channels - its time for a plunge. The denon DAB tuner ...TU-1800 will cost you a mere $470 ... looking around in echoloft, you can get most of your bagains.

My entire setup cost me $3K and i'm still looking for a replacement preamp and the Denon tuner i just mentioned.

A few points to note besides the $$$... -

1. What kind of music do you listen to most of the time?
2. What sources do you listen most of the time?
3. How do you want your system to be? (an all rounder or just suited to those few particular genres of music?)

And oh yes.. interconnects, good sources but crappy links .. will definitely ruin the sound quality. Good luck with your chase...

no la, dont think hi-fi gonna burn you unless you are into changing system every year. I've been very happy and satisfy with my ~3k system for the past 3 years (cant say that for cameras :bsmilie: )

I actually spend much more on CDs and vinyl than my entire system (including an ex-sytem). A good system without good CDs is nothing, like dethangel mention, know the kind of music you like and get the system that best fit the sound. I know pple who spend thousands but the CDs they played are those techno-craps ;p

last word, spend more time reading up on improving your room acoustics, speaker placement, seating position, etc.. than worry abt your system.

True .. but if you've a stereo system and a HT to maintain :sweat:

Right now, i'm happy with my $3K system as well... though hoping for a Electrocompaniet EMC-1 ... :sweat: ... The EMC-1 will already cost a bomb

haha... HT's meant for living room, no way HT can make its way into my listening room ;p

for HT I'm happy with my HT-in-a-box type from Sony (ard 1K), added an extra active subwoofer for those explosive scenes. my HT needs are very easy to satisfy, however, do invest in component video cables, they really make a big diff to the pic quality. No expensive S-video cable is able to compare to 3 cheapo component video cables.

My fave cables used to be Synergistic Research. Dunno if the co. is still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.