Calling all Audiophiles : Recommendations on speaker cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver cables are bright sounding... but Nordost are great. Try Kimber Kable, XLO, Straighwires. You should not go wrong with any of these.

behyx said:
Actually i never hear of canare before, but i think it's on the same league as Belden is it? Does LHS also do canare cable to banana plugs? Approx how much is it? If it isn't too expensive, i might buy some and try it out..

Canare, in my experience with building cheap cables, is miles ahead of all the Beldens I have tried.

Not that I am a rich man and tinker with super pricey cabling or componentry, but I own several budget-to-mid-range speaker/interconnect cable sets from Cardas, DH Labs and Audioquest and these two Canare cables are about as good as (and often better sounding than) any of them. BTW I am not the only person to say so.

But it's really about system component synergy at the end of the day.

FWIW, I think your MF amp would be much better paired with Missions than Tannoys.

kahheng said:
Canare, in my experience with building cheap cables, is miles ahead of all the Beldens I have tried.

Not that I am a rich man and tinker with super pricey cabling or componentry, but I own several budget-to-mid-range speaker/interconnect cable sets from Cardas, DH Labs and Audioquest and these two Canare cables are about as good as (and often better sounding than) any of them. BTW I am not the only person to say so.

But it's really about system component synergy at the end of the day.

FWIW, I think your MF amp would be much better paired with Missions than Tannoys.

So approx how much does a Mission 780 or 782 series cost now? - recommended by Samn. I'm pretty lost in touch with the audio world now :bsmilie:

pigs_can_fly said:
What cables are you using at the moment? And what interconnects are you using? I think you should start tracing from the source first. And have you tried tweaks? ie, isolation cones, speaker placement, etc?

For my interconnect, i'm using a Belden DIY made by a friend. And for the speaker cables, haha you will be surprised - i'm using those very cheapo orangy copper cables insulated by clear rubber, those you can easily get at those neighbourhood electrical shops.. That's the reason why i want to get better speaker cables u see?

I have no tried tweaks, again, no time for that.. And cones are pretty expensive! But this weekend i'm going to dig out the speaker stands from my storeroom and use them.. Now i'm placing it on a Ikea Shelf - very bad placement i know :thumbsd:

behyx said:
I need to get a new pair of speaker cables for my humble setup:

Musical Fidelity Elektra E10 Int amp
Marantz CD63mkII KI-signature.
Tannoy MX-2

Bass is slightly mellow, highs are a little to the bright side for my preference.
Which speaker cable should i get to compensate the brightness and induce slightly tighter bass and smoother midrange? My speakers are biwire-able, banana plugs (same for amp).

I don't have a budget in mind, but will be better if it's not too expensive, i'm looking closely at the price-performance ratio.

*I also post a thread in echoloft to get more response. Want to gather more info before i go down Adelphi.

Bro,

As some of the bros mentioned, u can either tweak the interconnect or the speaker cables for a start. I've had a chance to try a Synergistics Research X2 active shielded interconnect and my jaws dropped.

I'm still using my Van Den Hul D102 MkIII, it's very clear, a bit too clear and clinical. Gives good high details but lacks the body and lower end of the frequency range. Therefore i would say that it's abit to the bright side pretty much like wat you are facing i presume. At least when coupled to my setup for now.

With the Syerngistics Research the vocal richness and body immediatley shines through and backed by an improved dynamics with the improvement of the low end. This had got me saving up for the next upgrade again after laying off audio for some time... hahaha...

With you situation, i would advise against silver cables, silver cables are known to be bright. Just my 2 cents worth... happy hunting :)

jazzfusion said:
Bro,

As some of the bros mentioned, u can either tweak the interconnect or the speaker cables for a start. I've had a chance to try a Synergistics Research X2 active shielded interconnect and my jaws dropped.

I'm still using my Van Den Hul D102 MkIII, it's very clear, a bit too clear and clinical. Gives good high details but lacks the body and lower end of the frequency range. Therefore i would say that it's abit to the bright side pretty much like wat you are facing i presume. At least when coupled to my setup for now.

With the Syerngistics Research the vocal richness and body immediatley shines through and backed by an improved dynamics with the improvement of the low end. This had got me saving up for the next upgrade again after laying off audio for some time... hahaha...

With you situation, i would advise against silver cables, silver cables are known to be bright. Just my 2 cents worth... happy hunting :)

bro so how much is the Synergistics Research X2 active shielded interconnect??

behyx said:
For my interconnect, i'm using a Belden DIY made by a friend. And for the speaker cables, haha you will be surprised - i'm using those very cheapo orangy copper cables insulated by clear rubber, those you can easily get at those neighbourhood electrical shops.. That's the reason why i want to get better speaker cables u see?

I have no tried tweaks, again, no time for that.. And cones are pretty expensive! But this weekend i'm going to dig out the speaker stands from my storeroom and use them.. Now i'm placing it on a Ikea Shelf - very bad placement i know :thumbsd:

Cones are effective. I'm not sure about those "branded" cones (ie, Qi-Cone) as I don't use them. I use those not-so-expensive cones where I get from Sim Lim Square. Those helps to bring out some details. I guess the isolation is important for the source. And I'm using Tube Amp, so these are generally more sensitive to isolation cone placements.

You might want to play around with the placement of your speakers before you decide. Check the Internet. There are several methods of placement and calculations.

There is another coin tweak that you might want to try.

And by the way, I'm using Taralabs cable. Not really expensive.

behyx said:
So approx how much does a Mission 780 or 782 series cost now?

No idea. I just feel that your Music Fidelity needs a more lively sounding pair of speakers for all round listening. The MX2s might be a tad too polite when paired with your amp.

Like me, I had tried all brands interconnects and spent thousand of dollars. but I finally settled on Straightwire Maestro. My second preference are XLOs.

FYI, I shotguned both Kimble Kable "16TC" (8TC x 2) and Monster Cable M1 as my speaker cables (6 feet x 2). Best of both worlds. Played Hotel California on SACD, and my musician friends thought I invited Eagles to do live performance at my house.

behyx said:
bro so how much is the Synergistics Research X2 active shielded interconnect??

They were clearing them at promo prix of 500 plus 2 hifi show ago. Missed the previous one. The normal prix should be the above the 600 mark. Have not had the time to check yet.

Can also consider the Belden 8461 or 8471, Robert at LHS may terminate the cables for you if u buy the connectors from him & ask him nicely.. :D

behyx said:
So approx how much does a Mission 780 or 782 series cost now? - recommended by Samn. I'm pretty lost in touch with the audio world now :bsmilie:

I'm not sure in S'pore, but it's pretty much cheap in UK like 300Pounds as these series are quite dated sometime...chances are you may find it as old/demo stocks. As I mentioned earlier, bring along your MF and Marantz along for audition, it was rated 5 stars by What Hi-Fi as a combo back then, however, you need to listen yourself before make the move...goodluck!

Tweaking and changing cables are the cheaper alternatives, but if with the current set up you still unsatisfied after the tweaking and so forth, I would highly recommended you to replace the Tannoys...they are just to sensitive to most people...is like love and hate kinda thing...with Missions...you are going on the safe road...I would say so...or you may want to try like mine TDL RTL2...don't listen to TDL RTL2 SE...this one sounded totally different than its predecessor.

Goodluck to you!:cool:

samn said:
Tweaking and changing cables are the cheaper alternatives, but if with the current set up you still unsatisfied after the tweaking and so forth, I would highly recommended you to replace the Tannoys...they are just to sensitive to most people...is like love and hate kinda thing...with Missions...you are going on the safe road.

You made a good point about the character of most Missions.

actually i'm very into rich, smooth mid tones with transparency, will the missions be too harsh and direct?

behyx said:
actually i'm very into rich, smooth mid tones with transparency, will the missions be too harsh and direct?

well, my Mission M71 were tame... :sweat:

or it is my whole system's character?...

behyx said:
Look no further.... Rogers or Spendor LS35/A.
For interconnects, Cardas cables are your absolute choice. I tried the Golden Cross. Too polite for me.

photobum said:
Look no further.... Rogers or Spendor LS35/A.
For interconnects, Cardas cables are your absolute choice. I tried the Golden Cross. Too polite for me.

Oooohh Yes! I've heard the LS3/5A in action once and it really blew my head away! I love the smoothness! I heard it's price isn't too expensive in the past, but in recent years, it went quite high ya?

behyx said:
I heard it's price isn't too expensive in the past, but in recent years, it went quite high ya?
Yes, I remember you can have it for about $650 a pair in the early 80s (Made in the UK). Then, it went up to about $1,200~$1,400 a pair in the early-mid 90s (Still Made in the UK). Now, expect to pay an arm or leg for a pair (it is assembled in Malaysia from foreign components).

Not sure which spendor models HMV heeren is using but they sound damn good :sweat: ...

How many of you here prefer neutral untainted sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.