Buying 2nd hand lenses

Have a question here, how to set to maximum aperture to look through the lens for checking?

Have a question here, how to set to maximum aperture to look through the lens for checking?

Are you referring to the smallest f-number for the aperture?

For Canon lenses, the aperture is already wide open.

For Nikon lenses, there are 2 types:
"G" lenses - this category of lenses does not have the aperture ring where you can adjust the aperture manually. You will need to press the aperture lever at the mount area and you will see the apeture open, so you can look through it.

Non-"G" lenses - You can do the same as G-lenses, or you can just adjust the aperture to the smallest f-number for the aperture and look through the lens.

Last edited:
Love my Nikon 50f1.8 ai on my FM2 , but it gets dark when I turn the aperture . Wonder why ?

Love my Nikon 50f1.8 ai on my FM2 , but it gets dark when I turn the aperture . Wonder why ?

I suggest you read up a bit on how aperture works. It's quite logical that it would get darker.

Ya, happens to me once too ...

Met with seller for a camera, then tested out and discovered some problems that he did not highlight in the post. He said that he had not used the camera for a long time and is not aware of the problem. I gave him the benefit of the doubt lar since I had dealt w him before. But given the problem I was not ready to take the camera at that price.

Seller gives a very good discount to me in view of the problem ... So I thought that so long as I can live with the problem, y not?

makes good sense for duly checking the item ... You might be able to get a good win-win situation ... any serious buyer would give you time to check out the item (any seller rushing off immediately is a big RED LIGHT for me)

and I always bring along a camera when buying a lens (and a lens and CF card when buying a camera). For tripods etc, always try to make sure that it is usable (and tough ... afterall I am mounting very expensive eqpm on that thing) ...

Good infos for the thread. Guess it is afterall mutual undestanding play much of the deal than to 'POWER POINT' against one another, other than those out to SMOKE dealers. :)

Hey ppl anywhere to recommend for me to get good cheap second hand lens? I thinking of a Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye lens or a 10-20mm Sigma!!! Thank in advance!

HI one and all, can I check with all who have seen the shops at the basement of Pennisular Plaza? I walked past and saw this brightly lit shop selling lens, tripod, bodies etc, and all looked like they are 2nd hand goods. Didn't take note of the shop name so couldn't provide that. Anyone know which shop I am talking about and whether it can be trusted whne it comes to 2nd hand lens or tripod?

HI one and all, can I check with all who have seen the shops at the basement of Pennisular Plaza? I walked past and saw this brightly lit shop selling lens, tripod, bodies etc, and all looked like they are 2nd hand goods. Didn't take note of the shop name so couldn't provide that. Anyone know which shop I am talking about and whether it can be trusted whne it comes to 2nd hand lens or tripod?

There are quite a number of photo shops in Peninsular, but don't recall one in the basement... i tot they are all at ground level. In anycase, here are some of the shops...

BenPhoto
CamX
P&G
Ruby
The Camera Workshop (TCW)

ha ha, any seller could had a hard time if sell lens to TS...
Joking, no offend...

Last edited:

Could it be the basement of Peninsula Shopping Centre (not Peninsula Plaza)?
Came across a shop there, but I couldn't recall the name of the shop...

ha ha, any seller could had a hard time if sell lens to TS...
Joking, no offend...

hehe... i'm the TS and i'm offended!!!... just joking ;)

i've bought many 2nd hand lenses, and they have been very pleasent experiences. i don't give people a hard time, but will quietly do the check i need to do.

on the reverse, when i sell a lens, i take time to show the different areas to the buyer (if he/she is not in a hurry)... so he/she knows what to look out for, and they have the confidence in what they are buying. i recently spent 1.5 hours showing the different aspects of a lens i was selling to a buyer, e.g. showing him that at small apertures, the minute dust specks do not show up at all... :)

Reactions: ongjoe

i've bought many 2nd hand lenses, and they have been very pleasent experiences. i don't give people a hard time, but will quietly do the check i need to do.

on the reverse, when i sell a lens, i take time to show the different areas to the buyer (if he/she is not in a hurry)... so he/she knows what to look out for, and they have the confidence in what they are buying. i recently spent 1.5 hours showing the different aspects of a lens i was selling to a buyer, e.g. showing him that at small apertures, the minute dust specks do not show up at all... :)

In fact should consider buying from TS as he also offers free training! :bsmilie:

wooww..you are really top seller:D
Any lens you want to sell??? ;p

I also offer "training" when selling my lenses.. and also let them know dusts is common in lenses..Like this they are more confident in buying 2nd hand lenses next time ;) I see that many buyers actually base on trust and dun even bother to check the interior elements.. I find that it is pretty dangerous as i experience irresponsible sellers who sell lenses with "defects" and they said are in good condition.

Last edited:
thank you for your tips :)