Buyers beware. I bought stolen goods from Clubsnap Classified

Did the police tell you how they managed to track him down?

Its v interesting to know how they do it

the fool probably stole it from someone known to him. After all he managed to get me a charger as well, which is why I am less suspicious that it could be stolen goods. If it were snatched off the streets, I doubt that the photographer or camera owner would conveniently be carrying the charger in an easily snatched position too...

As uncle Catchlights said, I started a WTB thread for 60D, how I know got some guy come along offer me this great deal (direct phone contact)

There is no requirement to login to CS to view threads if I am not wrong. Hence there could be no trace of who viewed my WTB thread.
In any case the police have the entire WhatsApp conversation (tip: you can select " email conversation" under "more" in your Whatsapp Chat conversations, can include attached media as well)

So the police even have the exact GPS fix of where we met (because I couldn't find the seller prior to our meeting and transacting, so send him GPS map fix).

I will usually avoid sales with no paperwork like warranty card (even if expired), manuals and box. If it is too good to be true, it probably is. The price should have raised a red flag.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Hope you get something back.

Your entries suggest that you are rather upbeat about it, though. Keep up the great attitude! Send yourself some flowers!!

Bless you!

Sorry to hear of your experience. I have made many purchases and obviously none has any paper to backup. So far all those I purchased from look innocently decent, haha.

Hope you are able to get some money back.

the fool probably stole it from someone known to him. After all he managed to get me a charger as well, which is why I am less suspicious that it could be stolen goods. If it were snatched off the streets, I doubt that the photographer or camera owner would conveniently be carrying the charger in an easily snatched position too...
It could be from camera rental place.

I remember a case where it was alleged that someone rented camera and then just didn't return it, and sold the set for money. The camera rental people were looking for him on CS, IIRC.. But can't find the thread.

As uncle Catchlights said, I started a WTB thread for 60D, how I know got some guy come along offer me this great deal (direct phone contact)

There is no requirement to login to CS to view threads if I am not wrong. Hence there could be no trace of who viewed my WTB thread.
In any case the police have the entire WhatsApp conversation (tip: you can select " email conversation" under "more" in your Whatsapp Chat conversations, can include attached media as well)

So the police even have the exact GPS fix of where we met (because I couldn't find the seller prior to our meeting and transacting, so send him GPS map fix).
sorry to know about your experience.
hope you able to get the money back.

It could be from camera rental place.

I remember a case where it was alleged that someone rented camera and then just didn't return it, and sold the set for money. The camera rental people were looking for him on CS, IIRC.. But can't find the thread.
I don't understand why people want to do such things, face and IC are keep in their record, how far can he run?

I don't understand why people want to do such things, face and IC are keep in their record, how far can he run?

That case was a local, I remember. The person looking for him found the blog, etc. Do you remember that thread? Can't find it , may have been deleted.

Arguably Singaporean residents will be more deterred to commit such acts. Not sure how tight the process is for camera rental places - I'm sure they have safeguards but some of them may not be that good at business and don't put in place sufficient controls to reduce occurence of such things.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/vietnamese-thief-rented-then-ran-away-3-expensive-cameras

Anyways, throughout the years have seen all sorts of claims of funny things happening.. Like people trying to swap sharp copy of lens with not sharp copy when the person with sharp copy is engrossed in other things... :bsmilie:

Maybe that's a good feature to implement. Display contact email and phone number in the B&S only if the reader is logged in.

When the price is so cheap, either it is stolen goods or something is broken.

Only on rare occasion is due to the seller ignorance.

For example, I knew a guy who sold his father's camera cheap after his dad pass away.

The camera he sold is a rare model in very good condition and can get a better price from collectors.

Wow. This is a powerful lesson. Although incidences of stolen goods being placed on sale is unsophisticated, it always pays to be careful. I am glad that you have the necessary proof. I hope you are able to recover the money.

Wow. This is a powerful lesson. Although incidences of stolen goods being placed on sale is unsophisticated, it always pays to be careful. I am glad that you have the necessary proof. I hope you are able to recover the money.

This can happen to anyone of us and not everyone of use keep the proof and worse... some delete the messages after transaction.....

Hope Shizuma can get his money back soon..........

Some people give fake credentials when registering.

But the most important thing is the IP, not the user id, though in this case it could have been not so easy to use, since it was the buyer who posted the original ad (WTB) thus there would have been a "xyz" number of IP's visiting the ad to investigate.

But the most important thing is the IP, not the user id, though in this case it could have been not so easy to use, since it was the buyer who posted the original ad (WTB) thus there would have been a "xyz" number of IP's visiting the ad to investigate.

If a person use a public wifi to register, can find IP?

There is a reason why you need to register with NRIC all devices with connectivity.

You mean if I buy a laptop or a smart phone I need to register with NRIC? Foreigner coming to Singapore how?

What I understand is when you connect, you need to log into to a registered IP address. That is how you can be tracked. If you are logging in using say Coffee Bean's Wifi, you will be track to coffee bean and their CCTV most likely can pick you up if it covers where you are. With the IP address, the authorities can track down the owner easily.

I am just being curious on technology that is why I am asking. Not sure there is such thing of a sure way to track.

You mean if I buy a laptop or a smart phone I need to register with NRIC? Foreigner coming to Singapore how?

What I understand is when you connect, you need to log into to a registered IP address. That is how you can be tracked. If you are logging in using say Coffee Bean's Wifi, you will be track to coffee bean and their CCTV most likely can pick you up if it covers where you are. With the IP address, the authorities can track down the owner easily.

I am just being curious on technology that is why I am asking. Not sure there is such thing of a sure way to track.

Well in the end, if what you bought is stolen goods, the police have the right to impound them and return to rightful owner. Doesn't matter if you paid good money or not. In the end, you have to recover your losses from the party that sold you the stolen goods.

Good luck to you TS. Hope you get either your money or camera back. Maybe both if you are very lucky :)