Blurred photos, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh ok..because i remember a friend told me on his d90 he can override the shutter speed using aperture priority..i find it a convenient feature for example if in aperture priority you do not like the shutter given by cam, you can just override it by a few stop, dont need to change to manual mode and reconfigure both aperture and shutter again..maybe need to try it myself when i get hold of his d90..

Yes you can override the shutter speed determined by cam by using exposure compensation

no one can override the shutterspeed directly in Av like you said. That is manual mode.

Anyway since are are on the subject of blur.
lets say im already at:
1/50
f4
iso800

and the event is happening and suddenly theres a flurry of movement and there's no time to change setting to ISO1600 and 1/100. In the end, some of the pictures got motion blur.
will setting flash to 2nd curtain help (to some extent) in such a event?
or the help is so negligible that cant really tell?
would you set flash to 2nd curtain for whole event if it will help (incase of such a flurry of movement suddenly)?

That's what you think hahaha j/k between D90 can override the shutter speed if you turn on the easy exposure compensation in the menu, at first I thought it was a bug but when I call Nikon they just said that I can turn it off hehehe.

Last edited:
That's what you think hahaha j/k between D90 can override the shutter speed if you turn on the easy exposure compensation in the menu, at first I thought it was a bug but when I call Nikon they just said that I can turn it off hehehe.

i think i get it..in d90, you can set in menu and turn on "Easy Exposure compensation"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond90club/discuss/72157613109854370/

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/menus-custom-metering.htm

what it does is just minimize you from pressing both exp comp button and turning the dial at the same time..so if this feature is turn on, you turn the "other" dial to adjust exp compensation..so if you are in aperture mode, the "shutter dial" will adjust compensation and vice versa for shutter priority mode thus in effect it's like you are overriding the shutter and aperture given by camera :bsmilie:

i see that you had a flash. im not sure why with flash the shutter speed still 1/8. usually with flash shutter speed quite fast one under those kind of condition.

did u put add slow sync to your flash when you shot?

for nikon systems when you use flash on aperture priority mode, default shutter is 1/60 which is normal fast..for entry level canon cam there is no default shutter when using Av mode that's why when using flash for entry level canon cam it is advisable to use full manual mode..but for newer model bro DeSwitch mentioned this can be configured..

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already.

If you're in AV mode on a Canon, the flash will ALWAYS act as a fill light and not as a main light, so the camera will always try to expose for the ambient and the flash merely acts as a fill via eTTL, hence you're getting a really slow shutter speed as the camera tries to expose your background and ambient properly.

Switch to manual mode instead or go to your custom function settings that says "Flash sync speed in Av mode" and choose 1/250 (or 1/200 depending on camera model). It'll lock your shutter speed at its highest sync speed and let the flash be the main light.

Though it's easier to use eTTL flash if you're in Manual mode.

HTH.

If you want to read more about it, click this link and scroll down to the section that says:

Av (aperture priority) mode flash.

Av mode lets you set the depth of field by specifying the lens aperture. The camera then chooses a shutter speed ranging from 30 seconds to the camera’s X-sync speed, in order to expose the background correctly. If that means the shutter speed is some really low value so that you need to use a tripod to avoid camera-shake blur, so be it. In dark conditions, therefore, Av mode works in slow sync mode.

Last edited:
keep at it man! Yr next wedding session will be much better, i'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.