Biggest Nightmare of a CSer Bridegroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just re-read the last bit of your initial post, I'm sorry that your wife is in great distress over this whole incident.

There are a few company that offers data recovery services, pay them a visit. Some will not collect any $$ if no data was recovered. As mention before, the chances of recovering the data is actually high if you done mind the $$ Hope that there will be a happy ending for you and your wifey...

Thanxs all for the advice, comments, support, views...
Really appreciate it bigtime....

Yap, many lessons learnt that I will impart to my pals who are preparing for weddings..

Right now, the photographer said he will try again to recover from his pc and memory card.

Will update you guys on the happy ending...hopefully....:)

That is not a very good assumption cause such things would also happen to a pro.

I nearly lost all my data when my hard disk crash. Managed to retrieve all data using data recovery software from the net. That is provided u did not write over it. Ask that fellow stop working on his comp. Give us more information on how he lost the photos and that shd help.

You should learn how pros do it . Read Michael Reichmann for instance.

If they are out on an expedition, they copy their CF card every night to those battery powered portable hard disk things, they then copy it into their laptops, and they make DVD's after that. In their office, they have RAID 5 systems and SAN's.

In other words, anything other than Sep 11 will not cause them to lose your valuable pictures.

Sorry to hear about this, others csers have already suggested all the possible solutions.

anyway, I don't know who the photographer is...did he ever try to salvage the images before meet you up??

photographers are being hired to solve problems, not to create any, if have any issues like this, he/she should notify the clients/customers asap, and let them know he/she is working on it to rectify the problems.

if now then come and tell you this, shows that how "sincere" he treat his customers and "efficient" of his work.

Shooting weddings is not for play play, passion, helping a friend, earn some pocket money or whatever, it demands hell lots of responsibility.

Seem like I'm rubbing salt now, but just want to let many others know if you are not ready, don't shoot wedding, there is no reshoot for weddings.
unfortunately, many couples don't see it this way.

Hi

Not too sure if this is the right place to vent my frustration as well as a cry for help.
Got the service of a fellow CSer to do my wedding photos mid Jan 08.
With the wife, met up with him today to see the photos.
To our horror, was informed by him that "key photos" of the wedding dinner were lost due to problems with his pc.
Simply said, what's left of the dinner photos were the pre-dinner make-up and the photos with the guests. In other words, march-ins/cake cutting/speech/champagne pouring, they were all gone.

Can CSers advise on what I should do pls?

Sorry if this is not the right place to air my views and seek help....
the wife has been crying ever since we got home......:bheart:

Very sorry to hear about that brother. I too am planning to have my big day later this year, and this is one of the horror stories I'm giving a wide berth to.

Firstly, like many have said, ask him to use file recovery software to get the files back. That is, of course assuming his words are true, and that the pictures truly got deleted/corrupted.

However, if he's lying to you simply because those photos were poorly taken beyond any form of photoshop salvaging, no amount of software will help. Have a face to face chat with him. Ask him to be honest. Last thing you want is to waste time/money as he "ke-ke" trying to salvage the already screwed up photos.

Footnote: To the rest of the wedding photog wannabes out there. Pls take this as a reminder. You know your skills (or lack there of). Don't f**k around with other people's once in a lifetime moments. No amount of money will get these moments back.

Tell him to do a recovery on his CF card. If anything include the PC. I never mess up on weddings, let alone lose images, if I do accidentally del then there's always the recovery. I've a feeling maybe he didn't do a good job on the champagne, etc part, hence missed the moment? who knows, yeh you should get a pro instead. But nothing can be done for now except hope it's salvageable.
i think by nw the CP card is already pack with other images....

really sorry to hear that frm TS... tis could be a wake up call for other couples in CS finding for AD photog... it is better to find a backup photographer for your wedding, even it cost more...

and the issue about hiring a pro or a amateur, it really varies, to me i still **** myself an amateur but i do deliver what i am expected of... it is how professional the photog is, mayb gd PR wif your photog is also a good way to understand him... to that guy who lost the pictures, well, i dun noe wat to say..

Footnote: To the rest of the wedding photog wannabes out there. Pls take this as a reminder. You know your skills (or lack there of). Don't f**k around with other people's once in a lifetime moments. No amount of money will get these moments back.

:thumbsup: that includes those who 'help' to shoot when the couple already hired a main photog. Don't block his way!

:thumbsup: that includes those who 'help' to shoot when the couple already hired a main photog. Don't block his way!

Yup. Kind of irritating when that friend photographer not "automatic". But sometimes, you meet nice ones.

this reminds me of the photog who get drunk after wedding dinner and lost the photo files in a cab.
How responsible lor...
I wonder wats the outcome.

Anyway, i wish threadstarter with good luck in recovering the files.

The greatest issue would be if he did not put in the memory card. Nothing to recover!

The greatest issue would be if he did not put in the memory card. Nothing to recover!

tats a the worst ever scenario...

well, not adding salt to injury, but probably if its important, then dun save on things that are on priority...

cos i know most people on budget on their wedding day, photos dun turn out good normally bo chup too... u pay for what u get mentality.

ya, went to a wedding, saw a CSer practise wedding photography... then keep following the AD photographer around...

ppl invite u to dinner, then eat the dinner, dun geh kiang be wedding photographer and din teh... (unless pro lah...)

imagine 2 photographers shooting same angle, then both shoot flash, newbie flash interupt pro flash... ho say, either one will have white out and darken pic... turn out both CMI... who to blame?

It was completely unprofessional for him to not tell you until you went to see the photos. I would demand a full refund if I were you. Maybe with the money, you can pay for a professional photographer to at least take some great shots of you and your wife to remind you of this year. I know it's not the same, but at least you will have something.

Actually the free recovery software that comes with my Extreme 3 CF cards are very useful. My 320GB external HD crashed last year and I manage to recover about 200GB of the photos. You need another bigger HD space to store the recovered files. Not 100% recovery but at least still can save most of it. My HD was formated so that I can access it and yet I can still recover. Its the Rescue pro File recovery utility.

That the reason I dont do weddings unless the couple totally have no other choice like the recent case where my wife's nephew's AD photog went MIA.

Tell him to do a recovery on his CF card. If anything include the PC. I never mess up on weddings, let alone lose images, if I do accidentally del then there's always the recovery. I've a feeling maybe he didn't do a good job on the champagne, etc part, hence missed the moment? who knows, yeh you should get a pro instead. But nothing can be done for now except hope it's salvageable.

First thing I'll do before I delete the cards are to burn the images into DVDs. Even then during the shoot when I change cards, I will make 2 copies into a photobank just for redundancy!

It was completely unprofessional for him to not tell you until you went to see the photos. I would demand a full refund if I were you. Maybe with the money, you can pay for a professional photographer to at least take some great shots of you and your wife to remind you of this year. I know it's not the same, but at least you will have something.

Get 2 photographers, one for digital, another for film. ;p

well i guess such thing can also happen to a pro.
i'm quite sure there is some clause in the pro contract that will say something like return all phototogs fees paid.

the only diff i can see is that the chances of it happen to a pro should be greatly reduced.

good luck in trying to save the images...

Maybe you can e-mail to any of your friends or relatives who have taken shots of the dinner, and ask them to send you their pics? Doesn't matter if it is taken by amateurs with P&S. In this kind of situation, it's probably better than nothing?

Other than hoping that the photographer manages to recover the images, I don't think there's much you can do. I guess this is a harsh lesson for all:

Just because the photographer is from CS, doesn't mean he's a good photographer.
And just because he takes nice pictures, doesn't mean he's a good wedding photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.