Bali

you should try the famous babi guling (roast pork) in ubud, bali if you can.

4568363224_329e8f21e9_o.jpg

[babi guling, its essentially roasted pork stuffed with spices. the most famous would have to be ibu oka's 6-hr roasted babi guling in ubud. a pity it was closed when we got to ubud. this one was not bad which was at a roadside stall we spotted while driving to ubud and it's not bad really. slices of pork, a crisp slice of skin and some innards, served altogether with rice. taste? not bad, although a little spicy and oily.

its funny how we discovered this dish because on the first night in bali, anthony bourdain was on travel and living introducing ibu oka's babi guling. the driver who picked us from the airport also introduced this. if you're wondering why pork (like i was), was also told that bali is made up of 80% hindus, 10% christians and 10% muslims. great, i learn something new everyday. ]

we got a car at about SGD 30 a day too. its cheaper if you can drive, and its quite easy to get around. cabs in bali are really exp man... ;)

Contact for Bali Car Rental:

Name: Arif Haliman
Email: carbooking@balicarrent.com
Alt. Email: haliman2003@yahoo.com

BIMA SAKTI RENT CAR, CV
POPPIES LANE I
Kuta Bali - Indonesia
Phone: + 62 361 3131 411
Mobile: + 62 81 933 017 722 (24 Hours)
Company Licence #: 99/SK/XI/2008. NPWP #: 1.672.139.1-901

Thanks kelvin.
I'll be off to Bali next week...
Still planning where to go.. and what (epuipment) to bring..

Has anyone with any experience travelling to the North and East of Bali?

esther

Thanks kelvin.

esther
Hi Esther...!
Long time no see.
North and East?
You mean Lovina (north) and Kintamani (east) ? I've been to neither... hahahaha... Only as far north as Bedugul.

What do you wanna know?

I'll be headed there too. Sunday to Friday. If you see me walking around with my funny hat and big heavy camera, make sure you wave :)

Hi Esther,

below is a map I copied off Google Earth and added in some location names.
MapofBali.jpg

Hope it's useful for you.

Do check out Lake Bratan if you have the chance. Photo (not taken by me :bsmilie:) below
TPX2633.jpg

Lake Bratan
Taken from img2.allposters.com/images/JAPOD/TPX2633.jpg

Thinking of Babi Guling @ Ibu Oka just make me drool all over again...

I think Ibu Oka has a very big aircon restaurant somewhere outside of downtown ubud. The original one in ubud downtown is getting way way too crowded...

Last time I was in ubud, driver stopped at the big one first, I told him I like the one in downtown, and he brought me to the original one. If this is your first time, you have to eat at the original one just for the feeling. After that you can head to the big one.

me drooling too! ;p

Was supposed to go to Bali in August, but now it's a no-go... :(

Thanks kelvin.

esther

Hi Esther.

It's been a while.

Anyway, I brought my UWA and a tele to Bali together with my 7D.

The upper part shown on the map has a lot of photo opportunities plus traditional Balinese performances. Some attractions need entry fee and just dun get chop carrot head. Although I felt that Bali is rather safe but still keep your precious equipment close to you especially walking on the streets.

Anyway, never miss the sunset at Bali. One shot to share.

4553816977_81152a32a2.jpg

My maiden trip to Bali mid July. And to think that I initially felt that one week was too long for Bali. ( I thought it was just a beach):embrass: Just wanna say that this thread helps a lot and is useful for me.. Thanks guys! :) :thumbsup:

Just a friendly note to all who are planning to travel to Bali.
There is Rabies on the island. Do not play with the animals (esp the dogs obviously).
If you have contact with an animal or worse, a bite from an animal, it is imperative to see a dr as soon as possible.

(I work in travel medicine)

Check this out
http://promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?p=2..._BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1010,83256
Most relevant part reproduced here-
[In the most recent previous report from Bali (dated 24 May 2010) it was stated that the rabies death toll had risen to 57. Therefore the human fatality reported above will raise the death toll to at lest 58. Professor Wilde believes that in fact the toll has now reached over 60 since the outbreak began 2 years ago. It is clear from this report that the outbreak is still far from contained, and that control of canine rabies has not been achieved. A map of the island of Bali can be accessed at <http://www.baliguide.com/bali_map.html>. The HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Indonesia can be found at <http://healthmap.org/r/00bi>. - Mod.CP]

You mean Lovina (north) and Kintamani (east) ? I've been to neither... hahahaha... Only as far north as Bedugul.

Thanks for your map and information..

Yup..I'm planning to head north to Lovina and to the east (real east, not Kintamani).

Will let you know what I find when I get back..;)

I'll be headed there too. ...walking around with my funny hat and big heavy camera...

I'll try...may be waving to too many people.. :cool:

Thinking of Babi Guling @ Ibu Oka just make me drool all over again...

Thanks daredevil...I will definitely dine there, either or both places..may be "da bao" some home:lovegrin: I will be staying in Ubud!

Anyway, I brought my UWA and a tele to Bali together with my 7D.

Thanks Ryan for your information..I have decided to suffer and endure again...ie..bring all the "stuff" and get shoulder pain and neck-ache after the trip.

Thanks tyho... :thumbsup:

I will see to that..

esther

Yup..I'm planning to head north to Lovina and to the east (real east, not Kintamani).

esther

Not sure if your east involves going to Besakih temple? If yes, then let me inform you that the place is very much a tourist trap. Had an unpleasant experience there. In fact Lonely Planet guidebook even wrote to consider giving this place a miss, which I read after I went there.

tyho said:
Estherfu said:
Thanks tyho... :thumbsup:

I will see to that..

esther
Esther is also medically-trained :)

Estherfu said:

Looking forward to your photos!

Ah so! :)

I was treating a lady who got bitten by a monkey there and she was panicking as she also has multiple sclerosis. She needed the Human Rabies Antibody (given at TTSH) and 5 doses of the Rabies vaccine. Total cost >$2000... more than the trip to Bali.

Not sure if your east involves going to Besakih temple? If yes, then let me inform you that the place is very much a tourist trap. Had an unpleasant experience there. In fact Lonely Planet guidebook even wrote to consider giving this place a miss, which I read after I went there.

:eek:

Thanks Stuffed...I will be extra careful..

Do you think it is better to join a day trip..ie with so call tour guide, or better to go with a local driver?

esther

Do you think it is better to join a day trip..ie with so call tour guide, or better to go with a local driver?

esther

It will depend on the cost of the tour, vs the agreed cost with the driver. But with the tour guide, it will save you the unpleasant experience I get from all the harrassment by the local "guides" there. You will need a sarong at Besakih.

Basically what I do not like about the Besakih experience is that they get you to pay for the entrance fee first... and as you walk up the slopes towards the main temple, you will face layers of guides stopping you right in your tracks saying the temple is holy and you have to hire them to get in. The first time we were stopped, they claimed we cannot go any further, but when we refused to hire them and announced that we are gonna just take our photos from that spot and turn back, then they suddenly say we can go further in and around the compounds. :dunno:

And so we proceed further in to the compound just before the many stairs up, to meet more of them. But here, they were really persistent to not let anyone in, and I have seen them really blocking tourists who started climbing the stairs without guides. And to top it off, while loitering, taking photos and chatting with other tourists about the trap, one of them said he just need S$2 and he'll bring me up. Not much, but I was really no longer interested.

Hope you will have a better experience.

esther

It really depends on the tour schedule/itinerary.

I saw some day tours that basically squeezed what I did for 3D3N into 14 hours!!! :bigeyes:

Last edited:
Zero, could you show me your 3D3N itinerary pls? I'm leaving day after and still quite fuzzy about how to prioritize

thx

HougangMan said:
Zero, could you show me your 3D3N itinerary pls? I'm leaving day after and still quite fuzzy about how to prioritize

thx
You may read the earlier pages of this thread, when I was offering advice to 'xhui' for suggested itinerary.

:) Too long ago, I can't remember! :)

Last edited: