Bali

Ok guys, after much mulling and searching, came up with this as my itinierary (still need some suggestions from everyone here). Will hire guide+vehicle for all the travellings :

Day 1:
945pm: Arrive Bali, check in @ Ellie's (Nusa dua) (or maybe get some food, but where at this hr and place!?)

Day 2:
0800 : Set off from Ellie's
0930 : Reach Lake Bratan (is it the same place as kintamani? need to climb/trek?)
1030 : Set off for Ubud
1230 : Reach Ubud, Lunch, walk around etc.
1430 : Set off from Ubud
(any suggestions for anything here?)
1630 : Reach Tanah Lot, sunset
1930 : Off to Jimbaran Bay for dinner!

Day 3:
0800 : Set off from Ellie's
1000 : Reach Jatiluwih
(any suggestions for the whole block here after Jatiluwih till evening?)
1600 : Reach Uluwatu + sunset + dinner?
1900 : Kuta night life?

Day 4:
Laze around nusa dua and home sweet home! (flight out at 1230pm)

Is it too rush or too ambitious? Any other activities i can consider? (no sports as i've an impending knee injury).

I was trying to plan in a way of directions (North, then central, then back south). Thanks in advance for all the inputs! :sweat: (not too many temples please :) ). 24th Jan is getting nearer!! :sweatsm:

Ok I try to comment on each day individually.

Day 1:
Nothing much to comment. Arrival is exactly the same as mine last year (Jetstar??).
I was advised to WALK out of the airport compound and catch the taxis (bluebird company) which ply outside, as they would be cheaper. Eventually I was 'cornered' before I could exit the gates... haha. Paid IDR40000 for a 5 min ride to my hotel in Tuban... damn. Felt cheated.
There's quite a lot of food at the airport. If you're not fussy, just grab some fast food, etc. Your hotel probably has food too, though it'd be more expensive.

Day 2:
It's VERY ambitious to try Bratan and Ubud in half a day.
Bratan is the most north of the places you mentioned. No, it's not the same as Kintamani, which is where Lake Batur is... They're quite far apart.
Nusa Dua to Lake Bratan (Bedugul) in an hour and a half is not likely, unless you really rush.
What I suggest for Day 2 is:
0800: depart hotel
0900: reach Mengwi (Pura Taman Ayun)
0945: depart for Bratan
1100: reach Lake Bratan (Pura Ulun Danu Bratan)
1200: head south
Detour to Jatiluwih
1430: reach Ubud. Lunch @ Babi Guling Ibu Oka :)
Free & Easy... maybe spa, etc
Look out for padi terraces.
1800: Depart Ubud... heading for Jimbaran (dinner)

Ok I try to comment on each day individually.

Day 1:
Nothing much to comment. Arrival is exactly the same as mine last year (Jetstar??).
I was advised to WALK out of the airport compound and catch the taxis (bluebird company) which ply outside, as they would be cheaper. Eventually I was 'cornered' before I could exit the gates... haha. Paid IDR40000 for a 5 min ride to my hotel in Tuban... damn. Felt cheated.
There's quite a lot of food at the airport. If you're not fussy, just grab some fast food, etc. Your hotel probably has food too, though it'd be more expensive.

Ah.. okie, so there's some food places at the airport? will grab some food before hopping onto a taxi then! great suggestion!!

Day 2:
It's VERY ambitious to try Bratan and Ubud in half a day.
Bratan is the most north of the places you mentioned. No, it's not the same as Kintamani, which is where Lake Batur is... They're quite far apart.
Nusa Dua to Lake Bratan (Bedugul) in an hour and a half is not likely, unless you really rush.
What I suggest for Day 2 is:
0800: depart hotel
0900: reach Mengwi (Pura Taman Ayun)
0945: depart for Bratan
1100: reach Lake Bratan (Pura Ulun Danu Bratan)
1200: head south
Detour to Jatiluwih
1430: reach Ubud. Lunch @ Babi Guling Ibu Oka :)
Free & Easy... maybe spa, etc
Look out for padi terraces.
1800: Depart Ubud... heading for Jimbaran (dinner)

ah thanks zero, for the clarifications on the places (got confused w the names!). will do as suggested, sounds good! Will walk around at ubud then, hopefully friend can entertain themselves with some simple shopping of small items while i walk around hoping to capture something.

I was actually looking at the timings (thus the possible available light) to try match the certain scenery i'm expected to see and hope to capture (ambitious ha!). Think Lake bratan & mengwi in the morning sounds alright. Should i do Jatiluwih before Ubud or should i do it after Ubud? (duno if lunch at 230pm is late?)

await your day 3 suggestions! :p

xhui said:
ah thanks zero, for the clarifications on the places (got confused w the names!). will do as suggested, sounds good! Will walk around at ubud then, hopefully friend can entertain themselves with some simple shopping of small items while i walk around hoping to capture something.

I was actually looking at the timings (thus the possible available light) to try match the certain scenery i'm expected to see and hope to capture (ambitious ha!). Think Lake bratan & mengwi in the morning sounds alright. Should i do Jatiluwih before Ubud or should i do it after Ubud? (duno if lunch at 230pm is late?)

I agree that timings aren't ideal, especially for Jatiluwih in mid-day, and having a late lunch! haha. Perhaps you can give that a miss at that time. I was pre-occupied with the locations, and trying to fit them into the schedule. If you see the map of Bali (eg. Google Maps), Jatiluwih is quite far north of Ubud. So if you go to Ubud first, you'll spend extra time travelling BACK in the same direction.
In my opinion, Jatiluwih isn't worth the trouble of the detour, especially if you can't time it right for the optimum lighting conditions.
On your way to Lake Bratan (Bedugul), remember my suggestion of the hotel at the town of Pacung. Through the hotel, you can see the padi terraces on the mountain slope behind. I think that's nicer than Jatiluwih :)

If you PM me your email address, I can send you some images of this terrace.
hahaha not sure if my so-so photo(s) can convince you ;)

xhui said:

hahahaha... I'm out of ideas....!!

But basically you should consider planning around Uluwatu and Tanah Lot. I would advise against going to Lake Batur, coz it'd be another long journey. I think 2 tiring days is too much... but hey, maybe you and your friends are really energetic and adventurous! :)

I see that Gunung Agung, the biggest mountain in Bali, dominates the view from a lot of places. You probably don't have to go all the way to the mountain, but perhaps somewhere closer to where you're staying, but with good views.

Ha, no worries there zero! You've definitely been the resident "bali" contributor here! :thumbsup: thanks again! else i'll have quite a bit of wasted time travelling all over the place (in all the wrong directions!)

Will do some minor adjustments here and there and i think i'm all set now! Now to email some guides to book them and the places etc.

now to figure out how to effectively use those tianya filters! :sweatsm:

If you want nice and cheap food, might want to visit Nasi Pedas Bu Andhika :D

It's near Legian area. You can ask your driver to bring you there. He should know as that place is quite famous.

Hygiene level is on the low side though, hahaha..

Ha, no worries there zero! You've definitely been the resident "bali" contributor here! :thumbsup: thanks again! else i'll have quite a bit of wasted time travelling all over the place (in all the wrong directions!)

Will do some minor adjustments here and there and i think i'm all set now! Now to email some guides to book them and the places etc.

now to figure out how to effectively use those tianya filters! :sweatsm:

Don't take my info as the truth hor!! :)
I've only been to Bali once before.

Here is a map I copied off Google Earth (gosh I hope they don't sue me) and edited with some names.
MapofBali.jpg

As you can see, Lake Bratan is rather far north.
Lake Batur is the nearest lake to Gunung Agung.

You should probably to one or the other, as you can only fit one in your short schedule.

If you want nice and cheap food, might want to visit Nasi Pedas Bu Andhika :D

It's near Legian area. You can ask your driver to bring you there. He should know as that place is quite famous.

Hygiene level is on the low side though, hahaha..

Ah thanks amachi for the the recommendations! Will note that down and ask my driver! :)

Don't take my info as the truth hor!! :)
I've only been to Bali once before.

Here is a map I copied off Google Earth (gosh I hope they don't sue me) and edited with some names.
-image-

As you can see, Lake Bratan is rather far north.
Lake Batur is the nearest lake to Gunung Agung.

You should probably to one or the other, as you can only fit one in your short schedule.

wah thanks for the effort!! yeah, seems like Lake Bratan is really far north! gosh. means goto spend quite some time travelling if i'm to go there actually.. hmm. argh, date is drawing near, goto firm out the places and to email some guides soon! :sweat:

thanks again zero :)

It's ok la. You do have enough time. You should go to either Bratan or Batur. Don't just hang around kuta n Nusa Dua :)
I heard that batur is best viewed at sunrise, which isn't ideal for your schedule.

It's ok la. You do have enough time. You should go to either Bratan or Batur. Don't just hang around kuta n Nusa Dua :)
I heard that batur is best viewed at sunrise, which isn't ideal for your schedule.

ah.. i can never make it for any sunrise actually :bsmilie: will make do with bratan then ;p maybe if i really do make it for any, prob the nearest beach near my stay place bah. thx zero! :p

Nice information in the thread
Am headed that way in May for my wedding of sorts (thought screw the usual banquet, why don't I fly my family and hers out instead)
Looking at 6-7days with base in Ubud :)

Big Kahuna said:
Ibu Oka....dine in and Ta~pao.
BAL_3931.jpg

BAL_4029.jpg

definitely eat-in... :) yummy.... My photo of the babi guling didn't bring out the colours correctly :)

definitely eat-in... :) yummy.... My photo of the babi guling didn't bring out the colours correctly :)

It was hot~hot~hot while we lunch there...Imagine sitting under hot sun with the shade of umbrella only....perpires like hell....I actually took out my shirt in the restaurant....nobody stares....in fact there were a few ang mohs also not wearing top :lovegrin:

Couldn't had enough....so on our way back from tour, we ask our driver to purposely pass by the town one more time...just to do the tapao...luckily it was still available at 4pm+...if not our plan B will be dirty duck :lovegrin: We enjoy more eating in our hotel room with aircon full blash and free flow of coke and beer:sweatsm:

oh my.. i'm soo excited (and hungry) already! flying off this sunday! can't wait!! :lovegrin: still trying to get a lens pouch. planning to dump my cam backpack in hotel and bring out dslr w a mounted lens+1 lens when i go about the places! yum, here i come!

HI all,

Wanna check with those who went bali, which currency did you use, USD or IDR?

Is it better to bring USD there to change to IDR?

Thanks for advising!