AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G on sale from today 16 Feb 2012

Cowseye said:
Unless you really need the thin DOF, the 1.8G should be sufficient. Sharpness is Mo Da Teng ^^
Though I still find the bokeh of Sigma 85mm F/1.4 more pleasing.

Yup the 1.4g bokeh seems quite different. For me im not sure if it's just psychological or just biased about it but based on comparisons from the internet, the difference is not that much for a hobbyist like me..maybe im wrong....maybe for professional use it would be a different story..ü

The lesser sharpness and CA from the D version is good reasons to turn to the G lens. These two are the most contrasting differences. Although I only comparing the D version using online pictures at 1.8 while using my G version at 1.8

The f1.8G offers slight incremental & marginal improvements over the f1.8D & is incredible at the price if compared to the 1.4G. Imo, the difference is not that really dramatic. If first time owner of a 85mm portrait lens, go for the G. If price sensitive & budget constraints, go for the D version which goes for ard $400 now in B&S. The D lens is as good & imo its construction & built is almost indestructible & will lasts without much need for servicing :)

Last edited:
The increase in colour saturation, sharpness, rounder bokeh balls at smaller apertures and nicer newer design (although plastic) are reasons enough for me to get the G over the D version. And Nikon did not increase the price. Just my 2 cents.

The 1.4G is out of the question for me. I believe the 1.8G has enough of good bokeh for me, not splurghing anymore, got to pay for Uni fees.

Maybe I will take some time to test the 1.8 vs the 1.8G before selling. Or maybe I should keep the good old faithful 1.8 for memory sake.

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Do share your experience & tests with us....

Last edited:
I was at the crossroad... 2nd hand 1.8D or the new 1.8G. Am using a D90, so AFS out of the equation. But the performance of the new lens at f1.8 was the final draw for me to go for the 1.8G.

No regrets...

can anybody who own both 85mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.2 advise which one I should go? main for portrait shooting...

Jedi2804 said:
can anybody who own both 85mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.2 advise which one I should go? main for portrait shooting...

If I own both of them, I'll use both of them. They give you different kind of photo.

what kind of difference? day shooting and night shooting?

Jedi2804 said:
what kind of difference? day shooting and night shooting?

No... You just use it differently. Different pose, different composition, different kind of photos....
Both can be used as portrait lens, but the results can be similar or very different depends on how you use it.

HI Guys,

any idea where i could get this AF-S 85mm f1.8G lens in SG...I've tried asking TK & Cathay but both shops holds no stock and they couldn't advise replenishment dates either...:(

Currently stock are being filled for Pre-orders first. Stock should be in by end of Mar. HK currently has no more stock, sold out.

HI Guys,

any idea where i could get this AF-S 85mm f1.8G lens in SG...I've tried asking TK & Cathay but both shops holds no stock and they couldn't advise replenishment dates either...:(

Last Sat at TK I just saw 2 units on the shelve, ask Philip and understand just came in Friday. sold ?? Hot man....

Last Sat at TK I just saw 2 units on the shelve, ask Philip and understand just came in Friday. sold ?? Hot man....

Hardly got local lens selling for lower than B&H or Adorama. $499 is around 620 SGD now with xrate 1.26. Really a good price. I expect price to go up to 700 once stocks are tight. B&H still hasn't got any available at the moment. Hmm...

Hardly got local lens selling for lower than B&H or Adorama. $499 is around 620 SGD now with xrate 1.26. Really a good price. I expect price to go up to 700 once stocks are tight. B&H still hasn't got any available at the moment. Hmm...

TK <620 inc GST . You pay by credit card to B&H or Adorama, bank rate x1.3.... your choice...

torque6 said:

Check out under price guide, I'd reported the price of my own purchase.

Got it less than 620. So search around.

currently what is the price for this lens