Advice needed on an economical portrait lens with fairly large aperture (newbie!)

serious ah.. but they got the nikon box and all! what are the risks though? in a camera brick and mortar shop that looks pretty decent!

Did you ask whether there's stock in the first place? Price got include GST? One of the common tricks is to quote you cheaply, get you interested, then say out of stock and recommend you something else which you have not researched on.

Just so you know, the 50mm f1.8D is not a manual lens, so the focusing ring is not well dampened and manual focusing on it is not easy. There's nothing wrong with manual, its just that if you use the 50mm f1.8D with the D3100, you can't fully utilise the lens.

oh i see, thanks Spree86!

shutterjuniorbug said:
Maybe.. but what's so bad about manual focus compared to auto? should i get the auto one or the manual one? and i will be using it very often, i am using my 18-55 like crazy! i take photos very very often.

U mis understand , theres nothing wrong with mf. Im just highlighting to u, the af-d lens will not af on ur d3.1k.

Well If mf is not a concern, u can consider the 50mm f/1.2 ai-s, BIGGEST AND FASTEST 50mm lens from NIKON. Else what I had listed in ur other thread.

If MF is not a concern, try the AF 85mm f/1.8D. When you next upgrade to a body with screw drive (like D7000) you can AF with it.

Adnix: thanks! i didnt see your reply earlier sry!