About Tianya Filter

Ermm... so cokin filters give yellow cast, tianya gives red cast, and so we should all save up for expensive Lee/Singh Ray filters? :dunno:

tianya ND filters give red cast.

tianya GND filters are ok for me.

cokin GND filters give yellow cast.

Is Cokin ND giving the yellow cast too?

*Retyped after seeing Nm's post.

Last edited:
Is Cokin ND giving the yellow cast too?

*Retyped after seeing Nm's post.

i dunno, i never use cokin nd before. :)

i also haven't used tianya nd before, but i've seen what it does to van's shots, so...

actually, nd110 from B+W also warms up the shots, but it does so uniformly so if you shoot in raw it can be corrected.

Wow that red cast is really bad. I was still thinking of getting Cokin P holder with Tianya GND, ND4 & ND8.

From the looks of it now, it might be better getting Cokin P holder with ND4 & ND8 accompanied with Tianya GND. This would sound like a better combination? Could someone advice?

i dunno, i never use cokin nd before. :)

i also haven't used tianya nd before, but i've seen what it does to van's shots, so...

actually, nd110 from B+W also warms up the shots, but it does so uniformly so if you shoot in raw it can be corrected.

ooh, Thanks for the info. Think B+W is still the best bet. :bsmilie:

hoya nd400 is also ok, i think..

just remember to use a viewfinder cover when doing long exposures..

Thanks for the light leakage reminder...I absolutely have minimal experience with such a long exposure..haha...now at least there are 2 filters in mind for that...will check out ND400...;p

Ermm... so cokin filters give yellow cast, tianya gives red cast, and so we should all save up for expensive Lee/Singh Ray filters? :dunno:

Wow that red cast is really bad. I was still thinking of getting Cokin P holder with Tianya GND, ND4 & ND8.

From the looks of it now, it might be better getting Cokin P holder with ND4 & ND8 accompanied with Tianya GND. This would sound like a better combination? Could someone advice?

Actually, Cokin gives pink/purple cast when stacked too heavily. Shown here with ND8 and GND4
4723297465_f5c0cd69e4.jpg

There are workarounds, See here http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/06/color-cast-problems-caused-by-nd-and.html

The ND8 gives a very slight pinkish cast if used on its own. Following shot with ND8.
3866987576_50dfebf911.jpg

Last edited:
hoya nd400 is also ok, i think..

just remember to use a viewfinder cover when doing long exposures..

Sorry, abit noob here. What do u mean by viewfinder cover when doing long exposures?

Also, is there a one-stop place that we can get the Cokin P holder and then Tianya's GND? Then also, how about the Filter Ring?

Edit: And whats the price like for Cokin P? So far i only know the Tianya's prices.

Last edited:
Sorry, abit noob here. What do u mean by viewfinder cover when doing long exposures?

Also, is there a one-stop place that we can get the Cokin P holder and then Tianya's GND? Then also, how about the Filter Ring?

Edit: And whats the price like for Cokin P? So far i only know the Tianya's prices.

cokin gnd filter is around $33 ..
the cokin holder and adapter cost $12 and $13...

viewfinder cover - i think nm is referring to a piece of thing to cover the viewfinder so that light won't enter the viewfinder to affect your exposure..

wait for his reply though... :)

cokin gnd filter is around $33 ..
the cokin holder and adapter cost $12 and $13...

viewfinder cover - i think nm is referring to a piece of thing to cover the viewfinder so that light won't enter the viewfinder to affect your exposure..

wait for his reply though... :)

It depends on where you get the cokin GNDs and NDs. Cathay sells at the price you quoted, but is constantly out of stock of the items (I've checked numerous times). In the end I have to buy them from OP, which is more expensive. OP also sells 3rd party adapter rings as well as Tianya filters. You can also get Tianya filters and rings from Mass Sellers like artworkfotos.com.

I strongly recommend you get the Cokin filter holder instead of Tianya. You can get them at Cathay Photo. Last I remember, the holders were going for 15 (standard) and 17(wide angle), I think.

It depends on where you get the cokin GNDs and NDs. Cathay sells at the price you quoted, but is constantly out of stock of the items (I've checked numerous times). In the end I have to buy them from OP, which is more expensive. OP also sells 3rd party adapter rings as well as Tianya filters. You can also get Tianya filters and rings from Mass Sellers like artworkfotos.com.

I strongly recommend you get the Cokin filter holder instead of Tianya. You can get them at Cathay Photo. Last I remember, the holders were going for 15 (standard) and 17(wide angle), I think.

u clever!!! yes , i got it from cathay photo...

:)

When you buy your camera, it should come with a viewfinder cover. The nikon one comes standard with every camera that is not FF. Part number is DK-5. You can see a picture here: http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/domestic_platypus3/CAMERAS/CAPS/IMG_8113.jpg

For D3 series and D700, the viewfinder cover is built into the camera viewfinder. You just have to push a lever and it will shut the viewfinder.

For other brands of cameras, I have no idea.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the informative replies. That seems like the best plan is to get from OP the Cokin Filter Holder and Adapter Ring, then walk over to Artworkphoto for the Tianya GND Filter, or maybe i'll just get everything from OP since they have Tianya GND as well.

I suppose Cathay only sells the Cokin GND, and no Tianya, so Cathay is out, since i have to go to Cityhall again(i take the train).

Another question i have is for the holders.

What is the difference between "Standard" and "Wide" angle?

I'm on a 1.6 cropped body, using 15-85mm lens currently. Should i get a standard or a wide one?

To DD123: I'm on a Canon system actually, and Canon's viewfinder cover is actually on the original Canon camera strap. Also, you have to remove the eyecup on the camera body, before you can put on this viewfinder cover. (I read the manual)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the informative replies. That seems like the best plan is to get from OP the Cokin Filter Holder and Adapter Ring, then walk over to Artworkphoto for the Tianya GND Filter, or maybe i'll just get everything from OP since they have Tianya GND as well.

I suppose Cathay only sells the Cokin GND, and no Tianya, so Cathay is out, since i have to go to Cityhall again(i take the train).

Another question i have is for the holders.

What is the difference between "Standard" and "Wide" angle?

I'm on a 1.6 cropped body, using 15-85mm lens currently. Should i get a standard or a wide one?

To DD123: I'm on a Canon system actually, and Canon's viewfinder cover is actually on the original Canon camera strap. Also, you have to remove the eyecup on the camera body, before you can put on this viewfinder cover. (I read the manual)

for 18-55 , u do not need the wide adapter ...

I'm using 15-85, not 18-55... Its on a 72mm diameter

You might wanna ask them(The shop you're buying from)to show you both the wide and standard adapters and try it on your own.My widest is 16mm and i'm using the standard one FYI:)

I've went to op and artworkfoto but their tianya gnd out of stock. Any idea where else I can get? Prefer to buy and test on the spot rather than online and deliver. I know tago has it as well but the guy says strictly delivery only.

Can I ask the experts here a question?

Tianya only seems to have 1 type of GND filter, is this hard edge or soft edge?