A6000

you're posting two different links. one is to the firmware update page, while the other is a compatibility chart.

And as for the UK site, the Lens Compensation set to AUTO is fine.

have you even thought perhaps the A6000 already supports the SEL18105G?

I must have been too tired when I was researching on whether my current lenses support the A6000. Why din it occurs to me that there is a possibility the SEL18105G already supports PDAF and does not need a FW update :embrass:

Anyhow, I bit the bullet and when to Sony Gallery and purchased the A6000 to replace my aging NEX-C3.

When I activated AF continuous, I managed to see several small squares dancing around when I focused on a moving subject. Does that mean that the PDAF is in action?

I must have been too tired when I was researching on whether my current lenses support the A6000. Why din it occurs to me that there is a possibility the SEL18105G already supports PDAF and does not need a FW update :embrass:

Anyhow, I bit the bullet and when to Sony Gallery and purchased the A6000 to replace my aging NEX-C3.

When I activated AF continuous, I managed to see several small squares dancing around when I focused on a moving subject. Does that mean that the PDAF is in action?

Yes. And have fun with Yr new purchase. :)

Hi Guys,

I went over to Sony Store Orchard to purchase a hot-shoe cover, the FA-SHC1M, for my camera and was charged 15 dollars.
I remembered that many have managed to purchase the exact same item for far lot lesser at the exact same place...
Here is my invoice slightly edited to remove some details. (Imgur Link - http://i.imgur.com/LvH8bNQ.jpg)
$LvH8bNQ.jpg

Was I grossly overcharged?
Could anyone with the invoice for this item post their too? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes. You are overcharged. I managed to get a 16-50 kit lens front cover, rear cover plus A6000 hot shoe cover at total about $14-16 just 2 weeks back.

you're posting two different links. one is to the firmware update page, while the other is a compatibility chart.

And as for the UK site, the Lens Compensation set to AUTO is fine.

have you even thought perhaps the A6000 already supports the SEL18105G?

Was testing the A6000 with the CZ16-70 F4 and the 18-105G F4 at Sony Wisma and I can confirmed that the 18105 supports PDAF on the A6000.

Yes. You are overcharged. I managed to get a 16-50 kit lens front cover, rear cover plus A6000 hot shoe cover at total about $14-16 just 2 weeks back.

Any chance you would be so kind to scan or take a picture of that invoice with some details being removed and post it here? Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I went over to Sony Store Orchard to purchase a hot-shoe cover, the FA-SHC1M, for my camera and was charged 15 dollars.
I remembered that many have managed to purchase the exact same item for far lot lesser at the exact same place...
Here is my invoice slightly edited to remove some details. (Imgur Link - http://i.imgur.com/LvH8bNQ.jpg)

Was I grossly overcharged?
I assume that's the RRP and you didn't negotiate. Why did you buy it when you thought it's too expensive? Seriously... ;)

Last edited:
Any chance you would be so kind to scan or take a picture of that invoice with some details being removed and post it here? Thanks!

I encountered the same situation. What you have bought at Wisma is the retail packaging, which costs $15. To buy at $6.40, you need to go over to Sony at Somerset 313 and purchase it as spare part.

Reactions: ageha
I assume that's the RRP and you didn't negotiate. Why did you buy it when you thought it's too expensive? Seriously... ;)

I actually got someone who was in the area to help me get one and since when can one do bargaining at an official Sony Store...
Getting free accessories when getting an entire new camera, maybe... but price negotiation on a spare part at Sony?

I encountered the same situation. What you have bought at Wisma is the retail packaging, which costs $15. To buy at $6.40, you need to go over to Sony at Somerset 313 and purchase it as spare part.

Let see...
15 - 6.4 = 8.6 bucks for packaging...
The packaging cost more than the item itself!? OTL
WHAT!? :bigeyes:
SENSE... this has none...

Let see...
15 - 6.4 = 8.6 bucks for packaging...
The packaging cost more than the item itself!? OTL
WHAT!? :bigeyes:
SENSE... this has none...

Think of the bright side. If sony decided to increase rrp by $50 and include the hotshoe cover (and even throw in body and rear cap), will ppl still buy? Answer is probably yes.

So at least be glad sony didn't choose to go down this path haha

I actually got someone who was in the area to help me get one and since when can one do bargaining at an official Sony Store...
Getting free accessories when getting an entire new camera, maybe... but price negotiation on a spare part at Sony?
If you can't and you thought it's too expensive why did you buy it? I don't get it.

If you can't and you thought it's too expensive why did you buy it? I don't get it.

Because the person I got to purchase the item had no idea that there was a retail version of this item and neither did I.
It was only when I got the invoice then I realized something was a bit off.
In my mind then, it was like "15 bucks for this item doesn't seem to be right...". So I came over here to see if the item was overpriced.

Anyway, I got someone else to go refund the retail version and also to order the warehouse version from Somerset.
Again like I said, you don't go to an official Sony Store to bargain about the price of a spare part especially when there is no reason in doing so, such as the item was defective in the first place.
Although, I don't think it is expensive, but rather, a matter of principle of not getting ripoff when you could get the same thing sans the packaging at less than half the price. ;)

Because the person I got to purchase the item had no idea that there was a retail version of this item and neither did I.
It was only when I got the invoice then I realized something was a bit off.
In my mind then, it was like "15 bucks for this item doesn't seem to be right...". So I came over here to see if the item was overpriced.

Anyway, I got someone else to go refund the retail version and also to order the warehouse version from Somerset.
Again like I said, you don't go to an official Sony Store to bargain about the price of a spare part especially when there is no reason in doing so, such as the item was defective in the first place.
Although, I don't think it is expensive, but rather, a matter of principle of not getting ripoff when you could get the same thing sans the packaging at less than half the price. ;)

You sure have quite abit of people willing to run such errands for you. I do hope the few dollars savings can compensate their transport, and time.

Think of the bright side. If sony decided to increase rrp by $50 and include the hotshoe cover (and even throw in body and rear cap), will ppl still buy? Answer is probably yes.

So at least be glad sony didn't choose to go down this path haha

Ya. If there wasn't a warehouse price for this thing, I would just simply paid Sony the retail amount too.:bsmilie:

You sure have quite abit of people willing to run such errands for you. I do hope the few dollars savings can compensate their transport, and time.

Well, I will take it that I own them a favour. ;):)

What i did was to buy hotshoe covers from ebay at $2/4pcs or thereabouts.
Use a cutter to cut thend a little so they fit into the A6000 and A7r and i kept my original covers in case i ever sell the camera :) I rather lose the cheap ones..becuase many times the cover drops out int he bag or when i mount a falsh i forget where i left the cover..so..better to use cheap ebay ones..

Portrait photography:
Do u guys use portrait setting on the scene selection or use aperture priority?
I usually use A priority but I find the focusing square too big or not focusing on what I want specifically...any ideas?

Using the eye-auto focus, do you assign a button to that and press that together with the shutter or press eye af first and then press the shutter button?

Portrait photography:
Do u guys use portrait setting on the scene selection or use aperture priority?
I usually use A priority but I find the focusing square too big or not focusing on what I want specifically...any ideas?

Using the eye-auto focus, do you assign a button to that and press that together with the shutter or press eye af first and then press the shutter button?

Aperture priority is independent of the focusing sq or modes.

I set eye af with back button, but it's up to u

Sony hotshoe cover cost S$6.40 at Sony customer service center @ Wisma.

Last edited: