A6000

Yes..I also use the playmemories mobile. It's really good. . If only it had a bulb feature it'll be perfect. Everytime I shoot landscapes I use the app... find a seat nearby and just use the phone to shoot. .. the range is about 10m so I can sit quite far away and still shoot

Portrait photography:
Do u guys use portrait setting on the scene selection or use aperture priority?
I usually use A priority but I find the focusing square too big or not focusing on what I want specifically...any ideas?

Using the eye-auto focus, do you assign a button to that and press that together with the shutter or press eye af first and then press the shutter button?

Used the portrait mode. Not sure as I am still an amateur and the A6000 is my first true camera.
Result is quite good with sharp focus on faces and blurred background.
However despite the super fast AF,I am still getting blurred images sometimes with the camera.
Maybe my hands shake too much. :D

Portrait photography:
I usually use A priority but I find the focusing square too big or not focusing on what I want specifically...any ideas?

Use Flexible spot and choose the smallest focus square. Leave your flexible spot in the centre if you don't want to move the focus spot around. It will function like the centre fixed focus but with smaller and more refined area of focus.

However despite the super fast AF,I am still getting blurred images sometimes with the camera.

AF is just for focusing. Check your image if there is another area of the image that is in focus. if there is, that means it is focusing on the wrong subject/area.
Consider if your shutter speed is too slow for the speed of the moving subject as it may be movement blur rather than the focus not being acquired properly.

Portrait photography:

Using the eye-auto focus, do you assign a button to that and press that together with the shutter or press eye af first and then press the shutter button?

I used full manual. Sony finally introduced the Auto ISO for full manual for E-mount systems, after the longest time. Auto ISO will really make full manual more enjoyable to use. Set AF-S, centre focus. Shutter at least 1/125s, Aperture can go ahead and wack the largest possible with ur lens.

Last edited:
Used the portrait mode. Not sure as I am still an amateur and the A6000 is my first true camera.
Result is quite good with sharp focus on faces and blurred background.

blurred image normally due to ur shutter speed set too slow (assuming ur focusing is correct). How fast was ur shutter speed set? I will try to aim for at least 1/125s.

Use Flexible spot and choose the smallest focus square. Leave your flexible spot in the centre if you don't want to move the focus spot around. It will function like the centre fixed focus but with smaller and more refined area of focus.

Really? I tried flexible spot but felt the focus asquare was still too big. How do u make it smaller?

Really? I tried flexible spot but felt the focus asquare was still too big. How do u make it smaller?

There are only 3 sizes ( s,m,l) in the flexspot option to choose from ( using direction pad to select size of focusing square)

If flex 'S' is still too small for you, then I also don't know what's the next best alt. Maybe manual focusing with zebra on?

There are only 3 sizes ( s,m,l) in the flexspot option to choose from ( using direction pad to select size of focusing square) If flex 'S' is still too small for you, then I also don't know what's the next best alt. Maybe manual focusing with zebra on?
Thanks zig...didn't know I could select still make a selection from that point of the screen. Wish there was a more detailed manual or maybe I should read carefully.

sony.com.sg/product/rmt-dslr2

Under compatibility tab is says it is compatible with A6000.

Actually the playMemories app for Android and iOS allows u to control the shutter wirelessly. One problem with wireless shutters is that, if u use it in places where there are alot of other people also using wireless shutters cameras that are the same brand as yours, there might be misfires. i.e other people press remote, ur camera also shoots. Wired remote controls might be the way to go in these situations

Thanks for the reply Hawthorne, was at Alan Photo this afternoon, bought the A6000. Joseph was very helpful. He opened the Sony remote and we tried it. It's compatible, but sad thing is it CANNOT shot continuous even if camera is set to continuous and remote button is pressed and held down. It's all single shot only. :(

Thanks for the reply Hawthorne, was at Alan Photo this afternoon, bought the A6000. Joseph was very helpful. He opened the Sony remote and we tried it. It's compatible, but sad thing is it CANNOT shot continuous even if camera is set to continuous and remote button is pressed and held down. It's all single shot only. :(

Then u might need to look for 3rd party accessories. Something like this might work

ebay.com/itm/Pixel-TW-282-Wireless-Timer-Remote-Trigger-Sony-Alpha-RM-L1AM-RMT-DSLR2-RM-VPR1-/271290096227

pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=299

It says it supports A7, hence, it should support A6000 since they used the same interface. This thing can do timelapse!! Something that Sony branded remotes can't do. It works by radio also, so no need line of sight between the remote and the camera

PS I am not affiliated with that ebay seller

I should have gotten this instead of the RM-VPR1. Can do so much more

Last edited:
I tired to save my custom function into MR mode, but it doesn't seems to work.

for eg, when I'm at 'A' mode, I assigned AEL button to be 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR1.

Then i go to 'M' mode I assigned AEL button to be 'Focus magnifier', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR2.

Then I turn my mode dial to MR, then choose MR1, but the AEL button doesn't change to 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle'.

Is it suppose to be like this? or am i missing out some steps?

I tired to save my custom function into MR mode, but it doesn't seems to work.

for eg, when I'm at 'A' mode, I assigned AEL button to be 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR1.

Then i go to 'M' mode I assigned AEL button to be 'Focus magnifier', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR2.

Then I turn my mode dial to MR, then choose MR1, but the AEL button doesn't change to 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle'.

Is it suppose to be like this? or am i missing out some steps?

MR mode do not save the custom buttons assignments.

That is one of the features that I am hoping Sony will sort out in the next firmware update.

I tired to save my custom function into MR mode, but it doesn't seems to work. for eg, when I'm at 'A' mode, I assigned AEL button to be 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR1. Then i go to 'M' mode I assigned AEL button to be 'Focus magnifier', then I go to 'Memory' and save it as MR2. Then I turn my mode dial to MR, then choose MR1, but the AEL button doesn't change to 'AF/MF Ctrl Toggle'. Is it suppose to be like this? or am i missing out some steps?
Is it supposed to do that anyway?

It's a good idea though. Every MR becomes a new camera :)

Am thinking of pairing the SELP18200 (power zoom) with my A6000 for pics mainly (though I know SELP18200 was designed primarily for videos). Anyone tried this combo can advise the overall quality of pics ? Thanks ya !
Really like the build quality of the SELP18105G but after watching some YT review that there is serious distortion at the extreme end, I thought otherwise. Moreover, I wanted more reach like 200mm.

Last edited:
Am thinking of pairing the SELP18200 (power zoom) with my A6000 for pics mainly (though I know SELP18200 was designed primarily for videos). Anyone tried this combo can advise the overall quality of pics ? Thanks ya !
Really like the build quality of the SELP18105G but after watching some YT review that there is serious distortion at the extreme end, I thought otherwise. Moreover, I wanted more reach like 200mm.

Distortion normally occurs in long zooms. Not sure if the SELP18200 has similar distortion as well. Anyway, software will correct these distortion. The Powered lens seems rather bulky. Powered zooms will certainly drain batteries faster, so something to take note. Any reason you are not getting the SEL18200le instead?

To reach 200mm, the Sel70200g will definitely be the ultimate winner. Constant F4 aperture, but price.. oh

for 200mm range, I have the Vivitar 200mm. It is a manual lens, when paired with the A6000. So will take some patience to use it. But the sharpness good

Last edited:
the horse shoe can instead buy and collect on the spot?

anyone can help or enlighten on this issue whether the horseshoe now can be bought and collected on the spot? thanks

anyone can help or enlighten on this issue whether the horseshoe now can be bought and collected on the spot? thanks

Y not get those hotshoe covers with spirit level instead?
amazon.com/Cover-Spirit-Level-Digital-Camera/dp/B00JZKPRTA

the horse shoe can instead buy and collect on the spot?

Y not get those hotshoe covers with spirit level instead?
amazon.com/Cover-Spirit-Level-Digital-Camera/dp/B00JZKPRTA

able to get from shop locally? i am a amazon idiot, dunno hw to order from there

lol btw will the spirit leak or not huh