a 'good' tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZHEN DE MAH?

I guess so.. That's how they always put it in the ads.. I'm not too sure about the 6x figure though.. Was it for kevlar?

This site says CF is 8x stronger than steel and 23.5x stronger than magnesium alloy... :dunno: I'm no mechanical engineer. ;p
http://hareshsnarang.tripod.com/acer_laptop_ferrari.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks to an impressive strength-to-mass ratio of Carbon fibre, it provides eight times greater tensile strength and 1.1 times stiffer tensile modulus than steel, lighter than magnesium alloy, yet 23.5 times stronger- the result is amazing structural properties.[/FONT]

Yes that's what I mean. It'll disintegrate overtime, more because of the epoxy. If scratched , CF can break very easily.Ti is tough but not stiff. Very good for cyclist who wants comfort because it flex and absorb minor vibration.

Carbon disintegrate over time???
Titanium is tough but not stiff???

Don't know where you got your info but what you have stated is utter rubbish. As to titanium, your comparisons with Ti bikes isn't valid because bikes can be designed to give a stiffer or more pliant ride by frame geometry, tube thickness and grade of titanium. I should know because I have bought and owned many carbon and titanium road and mountain bikes. :bsmilie:

please lah...pro like you wont use such tripods one lah!:bsmilie:

I where got pro.... I dun even have a tripod. :sweat: :cry:

btw guys, what's the diff between a 3section tripod vs a 4 section one?

friend told me 1540 is shorter when not in use, so ideal for travelling.
but for weight limits and stability, will one matter over the other?

i had posted a similar question long time back, and gathered a few responses...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280878

i had posted a similar question long time back, and gathered a few responses...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280878

More compact when fully retracted at the expense of firmness when fully extended. What I usually do when extending tripod is pull the legs out all the way and then retract back about 1" before locking for less play.

my RRS ballhead came yesterday together with my lens plate and D3 L bracket.

really love the finishing and the looks of it.

+ shipping and GST, comes to about $1050.

my friend helped me matched it with a gitzo GT1540.

this really looks like a good kit for travelling.

my 190b manfrotto will be exiled for good.
:embrass:

hi jeanie,
that is a interesting combi.
i recently added G1158 and added M10 to it.
but i found the tripod combi top heavy.
can i know tripod head you got from RRS?

Carbon disintegrate over time???
Titanium is tough but not stiff???

Don't know where you got your info but what you have stated is utter rubbish. As to titanium, your comparisons with Ti bikes isn't valid because bikes can be designed to give a stiffer or more pliant ride by frame geometry, tube thickness and grade of titanium. I should know because I have bought and owned many carbon and titanium road and mountain bikes. :bsmilie:

i'l be really worried if CF disintegrate over time as my car has some CF parts...:sweat:

I where got pro.... I dun even have a tripod. :sweat: :cry:

you want my manfrotto with ballhead?
it comes with the manfrotto strap too.

let me know.sell you cheap lah!

dont ask for J sponsorship hor!:bsmilie:

More compact when fully retracted at the expense of firmness when fully extended. What I usually do when extending tripod is pull the legs out all the way and then retract back about 1" before locking for less play.

oh damn!
means the 3 section when fully extended will be more stable than 4 sections?

aiya......

oh damn!
means the 3 section when fully extended will be more stable than 4 sections?

aiya......

ha ha. i have a 3 section tripod and i keep wishing i should've got a 4 section like what my friend has. a 4 section tripod is more compact and better for travelling. i've tried my friend's 4 section tripod and in my amateurish opinion, i didn't feel any difference. maybe those guys who carry a 600mm bazooka lens 'might' face problems on a 4 section tripod.

don't worry. you made the right choice.

ps : btw its asterix, not asterisk. the latter is '*', whereas the former is the most intelligent Gaul that has ever lived ;)

The Markins M10 and M20 are widely considered to be one of the best ballheads around. For a Gimbal type mount, take a look at Manfrottos offerings, or go for the Wimberley.

Wimberley offers two types, the self named Wimberley head to be mounted directly onto the tripod: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

WH-200-big.jpg

and The Sidekick, to be mounted in a ballhead: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

Sidekick-zoom.jpg

sk_main.gif

i'l be really worried if CF disintegrate over time as my car has some CF parts...:sweat:
Carbon fibre is an organic material and will disintegrate over time if exposed to the right corrosive elements. However, it is unlikely to happen in the life time of your car.
Strength and durability are two different things, strong does not mean long lasting.

congratulations to the ballhead

ha ha. i have a 3 section tripod and i keep wishing i should've got a 4 section like what my friend has. a 4 section tripod is more compact and better for travelling. i've tried my friend's 4 section tripod and in my amateurish opinion, i didn't feel any difference. maybe those guys who carry a 600mm bazooka lens 'might' face problems on a 4 section tripod.

don't worry. you made the right choice.

ps : btw its asterix, not asterisk. the latter is '*', whereas the former is the most intelligent Gaul that has ever lived ;)

sorry in getting your nick wrong:embrass:

guys, i need help.
when i screw the ballhead to the gitzo, seems like no matter how hard i screw it, a little effort is all it takes to get it come loose again.i noticed when i screw it harder, there seems to be a 'rubbery' effect that prevents you from over tightening the ballhead to the tripod.

i'm afraid if i do alot of panning on the balhead, one fine day the entire ballhead+dlsr+lens will fall off the gitzo!

how do i secure it to the gitzo?i know they advise to remove the ballhead and keep it in the pouch when travelling but you know i'm too lazy to do that.and i dont see photogs travelling with ball head and tripod separate!do you guys really do that?:dunno:

i love the wimberly head.
if i ever own a 500 or 600mm, it will definitely be in my to-buy list.

but i've seen this thing in real life....it's HUGE!

how do i secure it to the gitzo?i know they advise to remove the ballhead and keep it in the pouch when travelling but you know i'm too lazy to do that.and i dont see photogs travelling with ball head and tripod separate!do you guys really do that?:dunno:

Yes I do. The ball head comes off and I put it in a lens case and chuck it inside the check in luggage. The tripod is then packed into it's own case and checked in inside the check in luggage too. Less load to carry for a more comfortable journey.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.