6/1/2012: Nikon D4 and AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

Really considering letting go of the Leica for this one..... easy to sell. ( get the D4 and the new Fuji X-PRO with the 3 lenses !! ) ;)

But then again the Leica and lens maintains value... mostly..... ;p

Last edited:
kei1309 said:
HOORAY! FINALLY! heh heh heh.

my bank account is screaming out to me~

Your account with DBS?

DiGdUb said:
more interested in d700 replacement.

You mean the 36MP enlarged D7000 sensor one har?

D4-exceeding limits?

Well, Ken is not the one to believe blindly. He does not see the difference between D7k and D4 (and D3 then as well). That really yucks!

His favourite Nikon is the D40, which, of course is an excellent camera, esp for a person of krw's stature.

Almost went to buy the D700 after this announcement, and then I saw this:
Nikon D800 in February? | Nikon Rumors

Been following the comments on the NR site, and a Feb release seems highly likely!
check out this photo: http://i.imgur.com/ZPpNA.jpg
They definitely look like D4 • D3x • D300s • D800 • D700

Guess I'll wait til Feb before I purchase :D

I was waiting for D800, then looked at the supposed spec and saw 36MP, and now I am thinking seriously thinking about getting D700, new or used. 36MP is too much for me, won't need to MP for blowups, but would like to have the low noise capabilities of D700/D3/D3s, or D4, heaven forbids.

Almost went to buy the D700 after this announcement, and then I saw this:
Nikon D800 in February? | Nikon Rumors

Been following the comments on the NR site, and a Feb release seems highly likely!
check out this photo: http://i.imgur.com/ZPpNA.jpg
They definitely look like D4 • D3x • D300s • D800 • D700

Guess I'll wait til Feb before I purchase :D
Good to wait for a month if you are not urge to get FX cam..

Thank you Lekima for all the latest updates to the long awaited camera. I think I'm falling in love with this camera :)

I was waiting for D800, then looked at the supposed spec and saw 36MP, and now I am thinking seriously thinking about getting D700, new or used. 36MP is too much for me, won't need to MP for blowups, but would like to have the low noise capabilities of D700/D3/D3s, or D4, heaven forbids.

??? If the D800 is 36MP, ie enlarged version of D7000, it will have at least on par low light capability to D700 if not better.

This is maths.... since the D7000 and D700 sensor is well documented.

??? If the D800 is 36MP, ie enlarged version of D7000, it will have at least on par low light capability to D700 if not better.

This is maths.... since the D7000 and D700 sensor is well documented.

Really, what math? D4's noise is said to be 1 stop better than D3s, and D3s is roughly 1 stop better than D700, don't know how many stops better than D3x. And D800 at 36MP is going to be more densely packed than D3x. If D800 is going to be better than D700 say by 1 stop then it will definitely going to eat into the sales of D4 as the pixel density is so much higher than the 14MP of D4 and loss of 1 stop in noise performance... I don't believe it.

Anyway, if D800 is simply an enlarged D7000 (i.e. take the same sensor at FX size), then the noise performance would be on par with D7000. Thom Hogan said "the D7000 is not down to D3/D700 noise levels, let alone D3s noise levels. Nevertheless, it reaches unmatched levels for a crop sensor." You may not agree with Thom Hogan, but that is your math.

If D800 is a 36MP beast, it's noise performance is going to be worse than D700, period. Besides, I have to replace my laptop as well, and add HD space.

My hope was the D800 was to take the D3s sensor.

So given the current price-performance situation, my best bet (if D800 is a 36MP beast) is probably still a D700, or a used D3.

Last edited:
diediealsomustdive said:
Thom Hogan said "the D7000 is not down to D3/D700 noise levels, let alone D3s noise levels. Nevertheless, it reaches unmatched levels for a crop sensor." You may not agree with Thom Hogan, but that is your math.

This I absolutely agree. My old D90 cannot make it most of the time at ISO 1600. Now my D7000 usually gives me pretty decent pictures (esp. with PP de-noise) at ISO 1600. But the other day, I went head on with my friend and his D700 at ISO 1600. Sharpest - no fight, I use a cheap Tammy and him the 24-70mm f2.8. But even for noise, I had to surrender. His was very clearly cleaner.

UncleFai said:
This I absolutely agree. My old D90 cannot make it most of the time at ISO 1600. Now my D7000 usually gives me pretty decent pictures (esp. with PP de-noise) at ISO 1600. But the other day, I went head on with my friend and his D700 at ISO 1600. Sharpest - no fight, I use a cheap Tammy and him the 24-70mm f2.8. But even for noise, I had to surrender. His was very clearly cleaner.

The FX sensor will beat all cropped sensor hands down. Wait till u compare ISO 3200 on D700 to ISO 800 on D90. It was a jaw dropping experience.

Uncompressed HD output through HDMI! This is sooo obviously aimed at Canon's DSLR video market.