6/1/2012: Nikon D4 and AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

Anyway, if D800 is simply an enlarged D7000 (i.e. take the same sensor at FX size), then the noise performance would be on par with D7000.

This statement is mathematically wrong.....

do you need me to explain this or you want to think a bit longer?

Last edited:

That's alright, you can have you math and your D800 having better noise performance than D700, don't have to explain that to me. I am quite sure you have a higher degree in mathematics and you will justify whatever math you are talking here. I will stay with my plan for a D700 and take what Thom Hogan said about D7000 vs D700 to be my benchmark.

And I will wait for D800 to come out and then compare the noise performance against D700/D3s/D3. You can write your math paper.

Good day. BTW it is OT liao.

Last edited:
Well, Ken is not the one to believe blindly. He does not see the difference between D7k and D4 (and D3 then as well). That really yucks!

Im a proud D7000 owner and I have to bow down to the D700 in terms of performance and image quality... And with the 1.5x crop, I dont see how his statement "If you're like everyone else, no, the D4 won't take pictures any different than a D7000", unless youre planning on using the DX mode of the D4, but thats beside the point.

What has this got to do with math? You can only talk about it from mathematical perspective when you know the exact dimensions and specifications of the D800. which we all do not know.
until then, we are simply guessing. the D800 is just a rumor for now, with a couple of pictures to show it's coming someday, someday...

85 f1.8G is 7 blades..9 elements 9 groups.
85 f1.8D is 9 blades..6 elements 6 groups.

Will the blades affect bokeh and the quantity of elements affect picture quality??
I ask this question is because im confuse in getting 85mm lens...haha..

there's more to good bokeh than just the no of lens blades.. but from what i see the 85 1.8G is indeed smoother in rendering OOF bg compared to 1.8D

85 f1.8G is 7 blades..9 elements 9 groups.
85 f1.8D is 9 blades..6 elements 6 groups.

Will the blades affect bokeh and the quantity of elements affect picture quality??
I ask this question is because im confuse in getting 85mm lens...haha..

In terms of bokeh, depends if the blades are straight or rounded... Rounded blades, make the bokeh balls look round and make it look more natural, while straight blades make it look polygonal. (round wins over straight blades)

In terms of picture quality, I dont notice much of a difference, only that the sunstars for straight blades are pointed (and generally look more pleasing, atleast in my opinion) whereas the sunstars of rounded blades look exploaded.

In terms of bokeh, depends if the blades are straight or rounded... Rounded blades, make the bokeh balls look round and make it look more natural, while straight blades make it look polygonal. (round wins over straight blades)

In terms of picture quality, I dont notice much of a difference, only that the sunstars for straight blades are pointed (and generally look more pleasing, atleast in my opinion) whereas the sunstars of rounded blades look exploaded.

The number of blades also determines the number of spikes of sun burst.

Wow...how to see whether it is a rounded blades or straight blades??i mean the construction of the blades??
Thx everyone..

Wow...how to see whether it is a rounded blades or straight blades??i mean the construction of the blades??
Thx everyone..

I just check the lens specifications from sites like dpreview. They usually mention there the number of aperture blades, and on the aperture notes whether its rounded or not.

i'm about to buy the D version, then this announcement came out...

hopefully the price will not be far from the D version... currently 85mm 1.8D is 650sgd average...

hopefully this lens will be available soon... feb?