26 Jan 2009 Partial Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i suppose using the ND filters with live view should be safe for our eyes ... right?

ND block visible lights. Sun has more than just visible lights. Sensor have IR filter (weak one) your eyes have ? ND filter have ? Do you know how much direct exposure you are facing when you look thru a concentrated set of lens designed to focus light into your eyes ? I wouldn't even wanna trust a B+W UV filter to be fully capable of blocking all the UV lights spectrum. Given the magnitude of the UV from a sun in direct line of side, I highly recommend you don't even trust pple in this forum saying what is safe and what is not. 10 years down the road when your eyes starts to give you problem because of this single unnecessary exposure to excessive IR or UV, no one will be responsible for it. Be responsible to your eyes, seek the authority in this area. Someone recommended go to the science centre to get the right equipment, get it. You are doing this for hobby, it's not a life and death decision, no need to take unnecessary risk over a few bloody bucks. If not, don't even bother to try it. :confused:

Hi,
Weixing, your picture shows a "Thousand Oak" black polymer sheet. I'm not sure if the company would misspell their own name like that. From what I found online, Thousand Oaks solar films seem to look more like this:
b1_1_b.JPG
Of course, I've never seen the real thing on the Thousand Oaks site, so I'm not sure which is real or if both are.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/BLACK-POLYME...hash=item260343719487&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
The actual solar filter look like the photo in the link you provided when without the packaging... it's very reflective if you shoot at an angle.

I think Astro Scientific misspell the manufacturer company name (Thousand Oaks). The packaging should be done by Astro Scientific as they had their logo printed on the other side of the label.

Anyway, Astro Scientific had been selling this type of solar filter for years, using it for solar event in Science Centre and I also had been using it to observe solar event for a few years now... no problem so far. Also, the boss of Astro Scientific is the President of TASOS (The Astronomical Society of Singapore), so I don't think he'll be selling unsafe solar viewing product in his shop.

You can call them to clarify if you had any doubt.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Let us just hope that Singapore's "beautiful" weather doesn't kick us up the backside.
Anyone want to bet that it is overcast during the eclipse? Anyone?

Hi,
Let us just hope that Singapore's "beautiful" weather doesn't kick us up the backside.
Anyone want to bet that it is overcast during the eclipse? Anyone?
Yap... base on past experience and current weather condition, probability of bad weather is quite high... :( so let's us keep all our fingers and toes cross and hope for the best.

Have a nice day.

Hi all,
Considering that an A4 piece of Solar filter isn't cheap, is it possible to buy a screw on solar filter for my lens?
If it is, where in singapore can i find one, and would it be cheaper that an A4 piece?

Hi all,
Considering that an A4 piece of Solar filter isn't cheap, is it possible to buy a screw on solar filter for my lens?
If it is, where in singapore can i find one, and would it be cheaper that an A4 piece?

Is there such thing ?

Last edited:
If $29 isn't cheap I don't know what is.

Hi,
Hi all,
I think Astro Scientific also got sell those solar filter for different camera thread size (I saw it before... just not sure do they still have any left), but I think more expensive than the A4 size one.

Have a nice day.

theres another MORE MORE MUCH EASIER WAY. use a diskette. =) break open it, and u'll get the so called dunno what paper. =)

uh fellas...
i read all this about buying solar filters and taking snaps else if you look at the sun through the viewfinder it will damage your eyes, basically "infrared radiation will barbecue thy eyes" to put it mildly.

I am surprised that one no one considered this question..

who says you have to look at the sun while taking the photo?

Aim at the sun, take a snap, check the pic in your viewfinder and see if the pic needs adjusting. Change your settings as per the pic you want, point the camera at the sun, click again. And please don't tell me the sun will ruin the camera...I use a nikon D80..been using it ever since it came out..sunrise and sunset pics are my favorites. If i keep glancing at the sun all the time I take snaps..I would be blind by now...

Few sun pictures I have taken so far..

2973465369_f8739470a3_o.jpg

2973466903_4ef1d6c031_o.jpg

Terribly sorry for not showing the latest ones...I am trying to set up an exhibition and I need those pictures to remain unseen...if you realllly want to see I can give you a small..bit bigger than thumbnail sized preview...but only 1 pic.

Anyway, problem about the solar filter thingy solved.

Now, would anyone be so kind as to tell me which is the best place to actually take these pictures.. I was thinking East Coast Park or perhaps changi beach... Please do tell and let me know. Thank you.

then again...I literally know nothing about radiation hazards from eclipses... I just assumed that you need solar filters only if you are going to LOOK at the eclipse.. looking at a picture of the eclipse doesn't count obviously.
Just take a snap, look at the snap, adjust the settings and take it again..it will be hard to get a proper composition at first..but with 4-5 shots I am sure everyone will manage...

:p as an exercise you can try practicing taking shots of stuff without looking through your viewfinders...its surprisingly convenient sometimes...

Hi,
uh fellas...
who says you have to look at the sun while taking the photo?
If you are looking at the LCD and not directly looking at the Sun, no issue to your eye. But I think the "health" of your camera sensor or parts (such as shutter curtains) might be at risk if you do that too often. Anyway, my Canon manual got few warnings:
"Do not leave the camera in excessive heat such as in a car in direct sunlight. High temperatures can cause the camera to malfunction."
"Do not leave a lens or lens-attached camera under the sun without the lens cap attached. Otherwise, the lens may concentrate the sun's rays and cause a fire."
If Canon think that excessive heat can cause the camera to malfunction and sunlight through the lens might cause a fire, I think it's not a good idea to aim at the sun without any protective filter... unless you are thinking of upgrading or buying a new camera soon.

And please don't tell me the sun will ruin the camera...I use a nikon D80..been using it ever since it came out..sunrise and sunset pics are my favorites.
The levels of light, IR and UV during sunset/rise are all heavily attenuated due to the extra atmosphere, dust, cloud (water vapour) and etc, so the risk are reduce.

If i keep glancing at the sun all the time I take snaps..I would be blind by now...
You might not be blind now or in the near future, but it'll still cause some damage and cause eye problem in long term... Remember, you can get sunburn to your skin by just staying under the sun. If skin, which are design to protect you, can get sunburn, I think it's not a good idea to expose your eye to direct sunlight without any protection.

Now, would anyone be so kind as to tell me which is the best place to actually take these pictures.. I was thinking East Coast Park or perhaps changi beach... Please do tell and let me know. Thank you.
Any place with a clear view of west will be a good place. I might just go up a west facing HDB to take the eclipse.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to tommorrow but I think the weather isn't letting up based on the current satellite image: Click here.

But still I hope the sky will clear up for a moment for us to catch the event.

After 2-3 weeks of brilliantly clear days (and sunsets), the weather decides to get cloudy today.

With under 24 hours to the eclipse.

Brilliant.

After 2-3 weeks of brilliantly clear days (and sunsets), the weather decides to get cloudy today.

With under 24 hours to the eclipse.

Brilliant.
That's Singapore weather for you my friend. LOL! Happy hunting!

I support shooting thru EVF do not require the solar filter right?

anyone has some solar filter to spare? Willing to share cost. I'll be using a 67mm lens.

Cheers
Jon

omg..it rained today..well drizzled really but still..the worst possible time to rain. I hope the skies are clear tomorrow.
On the other hand, it would be so funny if it was cloudy, I would love to see the look on the faces of those who got a solar filter.

hello ,do u guys know wher would be the best spots to see this solar eclipse thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.