24-70 f2.8 on D7k ... is it waste of money?

what's the rationale to upgrade from D7000 to D700?

I am comparing the lens' performance on both DX and FX body. so what else can the 24-70 lens perform on FX that it can't do on DX? :dunno:

It is quite obvious. 24 on DX is not very wide. But 24 on FX is wide enough.

Dear TS, im curious as to how a d7000 cannot satisfy your current needs? Based on your join date and previous posts, it seems that you are chasing the best lenses and equipments rather than making full use of what you currently have. If you think that by getting a D700 with the 24-70 will make a world of difference, then im sad to say you may be sorely disappointed. You should not be asking this 24-70 question in th first place if you already know the pros and cons. If you have the money, then by all means.

You will loose more money buying brand new sets. A used d700+24-70 is only 2.5k+2k.
Save the 1k difference for a 80-200 f2.8 instead. No point buying new d700 since it's replacement will be out round anything soon.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
@lighthouse,
Plan is to get a 2nd hand d700 ... then wait til d800 is 1-2yrs old, then upgrade bah.

@daredevil123,
planning to sell my nikkon 10-24mm ... any takers?

ya. Because buy that time never think properly. Now lose money.

Brand new D7k kit with freebies new is now 1950. I was recently offered one brand new set with freebies for under 1900 too. Used set at most can sell 1800 only. And 35/1.8 used can only really sell for 300 because a brand new one is selling for $326.

i agree ... F*!

i noticed that most replies were "get the 24-70 if you plan to upgrade to FF". 24-70 is wider on FX and longer on DX, aside from these, what else is the advantage of using 24-70 using FX? will the IQ be different? I don't think so. I believe you can still bring out the best out of this lens whether its 24-70 on FX or 36-105 on DX. as dd123 mentioned, its not the tools but the skills.

It is quite obvious. 24 on DX is not very wide. But 24 on FX is wide enough.

@ dd123, i already mentioned about the wide side from my previous post which is why i'm asking if there are other advantages of using 24-70 on FX compared to DX. ;)

Besides angle of view or crop factored focal length, there isn't any difference in terms on the lens result. Image resulting from a DX and FX body is an entire different story.

Harlo all bros,
do you think it is waste of green to buy a such a high-end mid range on a crop body?

Dun think will go FX in 5yrs time, most likely will switch to d400 when it is out.
Does it give better images than a $500 kit lens?

Care to advise?

Certainly not. You will not regret buying it to use on your D7K which is much better than mine. Imagine I use it on my cheapo D60, and always amazed by the IQ. Only down side is it is heavy (1kg), so I use it as often as I can. Most of the time, the D60 kit lens sits in the bag :)

Cant wait for the D800 to be on sale, then my lens will be well paired.

bethpapa74 said:
@daredevil123,
planning to sell my nikkon 10-24mm ... any takers?

Not me. Although I am on both FX and DX, I shoot landscapes on FX. and my Tokina can still shoot 16mm on FX mode.

Seems like the tokina DX UWA is more popular after all. I tot that 1mm and additional 6mm narrower angle makes a big diff?

Cowseye said:
Seems like the tokina DX UWA is more popular after all. I tot that 1mm and additional 6mm narrower angle makes a big diff?

Well, 1mm vs constant 2.8, I take 2.8. Because uwa is not only useful in landscape, it is also good for interiors as well as darker street shots.

daredevil123 said:
Well, 1mm vs constant 2.8, I take 2.8. Because uwa is not only useful in landscape, it is also good for interiors as well as darker street shots.

Lucky me then.

one thing you should note about the nikon 24-70mm, there are reports that the earlier batches has reliability issues. Notably from lensrental.com which catalog which of their lens has the most problems.

"The Nikon 24-70, which gave us a horrible time with sticking zoom barrels when it was first introduced, now is virtually trouble free. We’ve eliminated the web-page warnings on all of those lenses. (I probably should point out again that we turn our lenses over pretty frequently, and in all three cases over half of our current copies were purchased in the last 6 months.)"

So beware if you are buying the 24-70mm 2nd hand.

does this problem just crop up one day all of a sudden, or can you detect it when you first use the lens?

24-70/f2.8 is the lens if you plan to go FX (at some point in your photography journey). But if are staying with DX permanently, then the 24-70/f2.8 is 'under utlilised'; there are better (cheaper and lighter) alternatives if you stay permanently in DX world.

Although I started with D200, D300 in the beginning, I also always invested in FX lenses knowing that I WILL move to FX. So I have the 'trinity', 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all f2.8. I also have a few primes (again all ready for FX).

Hope this helps.

sf_kang said:
24-70/f2.8 is the lens if you plan to go FX (at some point in your photography journey). But if are staying with DX permanently, then the 24-70/f2.8 is 'under utlilised'; there are better (cheaper and lighter) alternatives if you stay permanently in DX world.

Although I started with D200, D300 in the beginning, I also always invested in FX lenses knowing that I WILL move to FX. So I have the 'trinity', 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all f2.8. I also have a few primes (again all ready for FX).

Hope this helps.

Your lenses investments are more than enough to move over to full frame. Unless you are waiting for d800, or planning to wack d3x ...

I used the 24-70 on my D90 before upgrading to my D700. absolutely happy with its performance on both bodies