24-70 f2.8 on D7k ... is it waste of money?

Sgdevilzz said:
Well, it depends on who is really buying it. For me i think that i will save alot more if i just get a lens that can be used for DX and FX. I do not know about TS but it all boils down the the buyer.

Exactly. Not a win win for everyone across the board. Especially for those who shoot mostly with primes and only need a zoom once in a while, or a dx shooter who shoots a lot of landscapes.

Last edited:
I got the 24-70 last mth after much comparison with 17-55(price/quality/weight)
No regrets at all and paired it with D300s.....

i was quoted $2550 w/gst cash for 24-70 f2.8 ... is it reasonable?

bethpapa74 said:
i was quoted $2550 w/gst cash for 24-70 f2.8 ... is it reasonable?

Good deal,just ensure its warranty set from nikon...

John316 quoted ... they have limited set only.
*hehe... i kinda of only trust them only for now*

John316 quoted ... they have limited set only.
*hehe... i kinda of only trust them only for now*

dont think just hoot, but take care of it, it has known problem with its barrel.. once got prob... set aside half the amount u pay to get the barrel replace....

hehehehehehe.....

can afford, just buy, dont need to think so much...

Harlo all bros,
do you think it is waste of green to buy a such a high-end mid range on a crop body?

Dun think will go FX in 5yrs time, most likely will switch to d400 when it is out.
Does it give better images than a $500 kit lens?

Care to advise?

dont think just hoot, but take care of it, it has known problem with its barrel.. once got prob... set aside half the amount u pay to get the barrel replace....

hehehehehehe.....

That's my biggest worry... that's why not keen... hehehe....

hehehehehehe.....

isit the barrel kena stuck issue?? wah ... so is it heng suay kinda of problem or sure will kena it one?

I rented and tried 17-55mm, 24-70mm and 16-35mm with my D300s body. Actually, 17-55mm is good enough for me. But its overpriced. I like 24-70mm the most and no issue. 16-35mm also quite solid. I don't mind getting 24-70 and 16-35 as I will get FF in future. So different people, different taste and requirement. Conclusion, I will not get 17-55mm.

I just checked for prices from DD-electronics and artworkfoto, their shop warranty 24-70mm is like > 2.5k. If J3:16 quote you $2550, you should not wait any longer, enjoy their holy bro service and buy the lens.

Errr...what do you think of Nikkor 16-85VR? I always believe that the trinity for DX is Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 16-85VR and Nikkor 80-400VR. They cover the range from 11mm to 400mm (equivalent of 16.5mm to 600mm for FX format) with 3 lenses. Awesome. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
heng suay... happen to a friend of mine..... so just keep that in mind...

Thanks ... i will think about it carefully.

Errr...what do you think of Nikkor 16-85VR? I always believe that the trinity for DX is Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 16-85VR and Nikkor 80-400VR. They cover the range from 11mm to 400mm (equivalent of 16.5mm to 600mm for FX format) with 3 lenses. Awesome. :bsmilie:

80-400VR is not a DX lens. Having the 70-300mm is a better choice for telephoto. Although you lost out the extra 100mm at the end, IQ and VR wise it's better. Still it's an FX, the best DX telephoto is the 55-300 or 55-200.

Last edited: