10 Day Europe trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
going to Italy for 9 days trip with family in Mid Dec..bringing my D90+ Tamron 18-270 and Tokina 11-16 2.8..maybe the Tamron 17-50/2.8, 50mm/1.8.. planned to bring along the Lowepro Fastback 200 for the gears..

after hearing friends talk here and there about the pick pocket/ robbers and so on..not sure if it is advisable to carry the backpack while touring around.. was thinking of backpacks is more comfortable and convenient to carry or shall I get the flipside.. or...just the normal shoulder bags and sling to the front..

can give advice? never been there before..

thanks in advance

Steve

Last edited:
Hi all,
going to Italy for 9 days trip with family in Mid Dec..bringing my D90+ Tamron 18-270 and Tokina 11-16 2.8..maybe the Tamron 17-50/2.8, 50mm/1.8.. planned to bring along the Lowepro Fastback 200 for the gears..

after hearing friends talk here and there about the pick pocket/ robbers and so on..not sure if it is advisable to carry the backpack while touring around.. was thinking of backpacks is more comfortable and convenient to carry or shall I get the flipside.. or...just the normal shoulder bags and sling to the front..

can give advice? never been there before..

thanks in advance

Steve

Are u on free n easy? or with group tour?
If you are with group then most of the time u will be on coach, stop over for photo and then move on, then no worry about backpack.

I use a backpack for my europe trip (and I have a normal shoulder bag for my camera), but most of the time camera is in my hand. Most time I will just put the packpack in the coach and go with just the camera with me for photo stop and walk about.

When taking photo with the shoulder bag look not nice :)

You may want to re-look at what u plan to bring. I end up using my Tamron 18-270, more then 95% of the time! My 35mm is always in the bag or even left in the safe in the hotel room :)

Last edited:
Are u on free n easy? or with group tour?
If you are with group then most of the time u will be on coach, stop over for photo and then move on, then no worry about backpack.

I use a backpack for my europe trip (and I have a normal shoulder bag for my camera), but most of the time camera is in my hand. Most time I will just put the packpack in the coach and go with just the camera with me for photo stop and walk about.

When taking photo with the shoulder bag look not nice :)

You may want to re-look at what u plan to bring. I end up using my Tamron 18-270, more then 95% of the time! My 35mm is always in the bag or even left in the safe in the hotel room :)

thanks Bro,
will be with group tour..

ya, thanks for the advice, shall bring only the Tamron.. not letting the bulk and weight bother me.

cheers:)

Can I ask what is IIRC cos I interested to go europe myself which travel agent? Will anyone be going also so can go together

I going to Europe too! i be departing on 21st Dec. This is my Honeymoon trip after married for 1 year, just nice 1 year anniversary :p

I am hunting for a lens to bring too if not i be bringing my

- 18-55 kit
- 50 1.8

Should i drag along my 75-300? I thought of either getting a CZ 16-80 or 18-250 to replace the kit lens though. I am on Sony.

Thanks for the advise.

I am sort of sold by the sharpness and colour of CZ :(

Carl Zeiss 16-80 Samples:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/carl-zeiss-variosonnar-t-dt-1680-f3545-sal1680cz_topic11663_page1.html

Sony 18-250 Samples:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/sony-af-dt-18250mm-f3563-sal18250_topic22355_page1.html

If i get the 18-250, i can probably sell off 2 lens, whereas if i get the CZ, i will keep the 75-300 though.

I going to Europe too! i be departing on 21st Dec. This is my Honeymoon trip after married for 1 year, just nice 1 year anniversary :p

I am hunting for a lens to bring too if not i be bringing my

- 18-55 kit
- 50 1.8

Should i drag along my 75-300? I thought of either getting a CZ 16-80 or 18-250 to replace the kit lens though. I am on Sony.

Thanks for the advise.

I am sort of sold by the sharpness and colour of CZ

Carl Zeiss 16-80 Samples:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/carl-zeiss-variosonnar-t-dt-1680-f3545-sal1680cz_topic11663_page1.html

Sony 18-250 Samples:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/sony-af-dt-18250mm-f3563-sal18250_topic22355_page1.html

If i get the 18-250, i can probably sell off 2 lens, whereas if i get the CZ, i will keep the 75-300 though.

IMHO, if you are going to be running around during your trip and snapping things as you see them then perhaps you might want to have a versatile lens on you. If you have planned certain shots and want specific lens for that scenario then by all means bring along the firepower :)

I used to lug my telephoto along when i did my road trips in france, spain, portugal, italy, czech rep, hungary, etc.... and i found that i usually kept my 18-200 on my D300. It didnt bog me down and I could get almost all kinds of shots I wanted save some specials. Of course its not as good as some of the primes out there but hey its a travel shot.

you can see some of the results from the 18-200 here
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616894

because of some of the situations i encountered i have decided to get a 10-20mm for travel also. the telephoto is going to stay in the dry storage unless i intend to go birding or take aviation/sports photos. im not going to lug that beast around anymore .. :nono:

so the future for me, just carry 2 lens for travel (18-200, 10-20). simple and effective. hope this helps for what its worth.

btw you might want to check the weather patterns where you intend to goto before you get there. you can use this link. http://www.timeanddate.com/. I find that it hepls me plan the trips better esp with the sunrise n sunset times (you can select specific dates) coupled with google earth you can plan your shots in advance (assuming of course you are willing to wait for that extraodinary moment). tidal patterns might affect you as well (for consideration). this is what i used to plan the Le Mont St Michel shot. it was a LONG wait :sweat: .. but well worth it. (just be advised that long waits for photos with a significant other waiting also might lead to some kinda head trauma... :bigeyes::bsmilie:)

ciao

IMHO, if you are going to be running around during your trip and snapping things as you see them then perhaps you might want to have a versatile lens on you. If you have planned certain shots and want specific lens for that scenario then by all means bring along the firepower :)

I used to lug my telephoto along when i did my road trips in france, spain, portugal, italy, czech rep, hungary, etc.... and i found that i usually kept my 18-200 on my D300. It didnt bog me down and I could get almost all kinds of shots I wanted save some specials. Of course its not as good as some of the primes out there but hey its a travel shot.

you can see some of the results from the 18-200 here
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616894

because of some of the situations i encountered i have decided to get a 10-20mm for travel also. the telephoto is going to stay in the dry storage unless i intend to go birding or take aviation/sports photos. im not going to lug that beast around anymore .. :nono:

so the future for me, just carry 2 lens for travel (18-200, 10-20). simple and effective. hope this helps for what its worth.

btw you might want to check the weather patterns where you intend to goto before you get there. you can use this link. http://www.timeanddate.com/. I find that it hepls me plan the trips better esp with the sunrise n sunset times (you can select specific dates) coupled with google earth you can plan your shots in advance (assuming of course you are willing to wait for that extraodinary moment). tidal patterns might affect you as well (for consideration). this is what i used to plan the Le Mont St Michel shot. it was a LONG wait :sweat: .. but well worth it. (just be advised that long waits for photos with a significant other waiting also might lead to some kinda head trauma... :bigeyes::bsmilie:)

ciao

The sky of your pic is damn blue, love it! may i know if you use CPL or did you adjust certain saturation settings or the sky there is blue, thanks.

The sky of your pic is damn blue, love it! may i know if you use CPL or did you adjust certain saturation settings or the sky there is blue, thanks.

CPL is a must for me on day outdoor shots. i frame the shot then play with the CPL to get the contrast i want. Finally touch up in LR.

CPL is a must for me on day outdoor shots. i frame the shot then play with the CPL to get the contrast i want. Finally touch up in LR.

Roger! Time to slap on my CPL :p havent even break it's virgin yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.