Your Pentax Story

was a canon user, then heard about smaller & lighter Pentax system which can use manual old lenses. so I went browsing BH photo, then got a good offer for K5 back then.. bought it, got a 135 f/3.5, 31, 15, and recently 60-250. have been carrying my 3 primes everywhere... hope to explore the tele-zoom soon. the compact system made me enjoy shooting dslr as much as I'd want to while having to look after my 2 year old.

share photos :)

Have not contributed much lately So here goes my simple story:

It was a few years back maybe around 2009, I wanted to explore the world of photography. Had zero knowledge of DSLR and very little idea of photography. Only had P&S previously. Started off planning to get a Cannon as it was the most well known brand to me having use a few of their compact cameras before. It was a friend (an Olympus user actually) that alerted me to take a look at the other lesser known brands as some have products that are packed with features that are value for their price. Thus, that started me to research on the internet and which eventually led me to KX which was just about to be released at that time. It looked really good to me based on the price/features and excitingly placed an order with SLRR.

Forward onto to many months after that. Was hit by the unavoidable LBA plague. Made some good purchases and of course learn hard lessons on a few others as well. After some time, finally managed to slay the LBA monster and kept the purchases in check. Now, the hard part is to start streamlining and selling off some of them. One of the more thrilling events then, was the release of the original K-5. Singapore was one of the first to get their hands on it and it created quite a stir in our little Pentax community here. The views on the Pentax forum here exploded.

Till today, I still try to join in for the monthly outings if possible. Unfortunately the dates and timing of the recent outings have clash with my schedule. The friendly and close-knit group is definitely leverage for the Pentax brand here. With Ricoh coming into the fold, it should only grow.

Looks like most of us were lured into Pentax by the k-x

sobrietyanonymous said:
Looks like most of us were lured into Pentax by the k-x

The word "lured" carries a negative imply, the suitable word should be " smitten "

Not much story to tell, so will just share some photos of Pentax Q and Pentax K30. They are consider my new collections. hee..

Q + 01Lens - In Cam Custom setting - Think is Vivid colours.

Q + 3rd party adapter with DAL35mm

K30 + FA50mm

i am more of a traveler than a photographer.. but yet, i find the two inextricably linked.

i dont bring along fancy equipment when i travel, but i fancy a trusty pentax, small, light, discreet and always ready to capture some golden memories that i can revel in when i am old

th66.jpg

th6.jpg

th12.jpg

th25.jpg

th57.jpg

more of my phuket photos at Ko Yao Yoi & Phuket

wow superb photos.. one day u can teach me do such nice landscape photos too

I wanted to start photography for a few years but due to my family circumstances and financial difficulty I could not afford a camera. Until recently, things started to improve for me and I have just a bit of spare cash. So I started to save up and hunt for 2nd hand cameras and narrowed my choice to Pentax KX, Canon 450D and Nikon 3000 with my perimeters being sensor and budget within $250-350. After camping on the forums for 1-2months, I eventually bought the KX.

I only started seriously using my KX after our last outing in March. I must say this out loud: Thank you all the pentaxians that were around during the outing - Fengwei, edutilos, ranchy etc etc. Every single one is humble, nice and willing to share their experience, knowledge and skill. I have the particular luck to have interacted with Edutilos extensively during the outing and his advice to me was get a tripod. So I started to hunt for one within the perimeters that he suggested. I cut down heavily on my daily expenditure and saved up for 3 weeks before I bought a Sirui R1004. And that was when my Cityscape photography journey began...

Initially, I took CRAP pictures and had to delete over 50 shots that were nonsense. It was frustrating as the light was good, the camera was decent and the scene was fantastic yet all the shots were lousy. So I decided to go for dinner and dwell on my mistakes. Remembering what one of the pentaxian (I think his name is bernard cause one of his friends was calling him that. He never told me his name!) told me during the outing, I applied his simple advice into my shots and things started to improve. (This might sound cliche but it was the truth)

My first proper shot after dinner:

Very little PP done and I used the curves to adjust the tones to something that is magenta - purplish.

My latest shot:

Compared to the first shot, this shot exposure on the buildings was better controlled, the composition as per the thirds and tones adjusted properly.

The most common question asked when my friends saw my flickr album was "What camera are you using?" No one knew what is Pentax and was amazed at the IQ it was delivering for such a low price point.

Favorite Lens:

DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
Good - Versatile, good range and cheap.
Bad - Significant chromatic aberrations, sharp only at f8-11 and soft at f3.5, focus drops off towards the edges with slight vignetting.

I like Pentax because of the community which is very friendly and helpful.
I like Pentax because of its ability to deliver.
I like Pentax because it is the dark horse hiding its true potential from the world.