Your Pentax Story

this thread is for new generation of pentaxians. A bump... come on, many more I could see to add here;).

marcus

Last edited:
You can find the old thread where I asked about the K100D here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/264268-pentax-k100d.html :bsmilie:

Mine's really a short story.. Basically I was using the Sony H5, and wanted to upgrade.. And Pentax offered the best value (in my opinion it still does) and was the first to start having an extensive set of DSLR pancake lenses... Of course I never really did get any pancake lens that I coveted all these years, only have the 40mm XS... But that's another story altogether. Anyways, I had a lot of good times with my K100D... Some of my favourite pictures come from that camera, heh.. So many things have changed since then.. Photoshop know-how, technique, preferences, workflow..

In any case I have good memories of every Pentax camera I've used. They're the same, yet different. :)

1507225683_7f4fd5df86_o.jpg

1171446404_824a2746ae_o.jpg

975633380_a70afcc8bb_o.jpg

You can find the old thread where I asked about the K100D here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/264268-pentax-k100d.html :bsmilie:

Mine's really a short story.. Basically I was using the Sony H5, and wanted to upgrade.. And Pentax offered the best value (in my opinion it still does) and was the first to start having an extensive set of DSLR pancake lenses... Of course I never really did get any pancake lens that I coveted all these years, only have the 40mm XS... But that's another story altogether. Anyways, I had a lot of good times with my K100D... Some of my favourite pictures come from that camera, heh.. So many things have changed since then.. Photoshop know-how, technique, preferences, workflow..

In any case I have good memories of every Pentax camera I've used. They're the same, yet different. :)

1171446404_824a2746ae_o.jpg

975633380_a70afcc8bb_o.jpg

you better sing me lullaby tonight cause your last pic very eerie and creepy... but I like hahahah

I like this shot best...its award winning shot:D

marcus

edutilos- said:

Wowwww...thumbs upzzz...

I’ve stated playing with cameras what seems like a very long time ago. The first camera I got was the Ricoh 500GX compact rangefinder. Loved it to bits, maybe because I had to save a long time before I could afford to buy it. I joined my school’s Photography Club and learnt how to shoot, develop 35mm film and print my images. That was a good grounding for me and I fondly look back to those days as pivotal in helping me love photography and being able to appreciate different genres of photography. My interest in photography has waned a bit over the years because of busy schedules and I now only shoot for leisure, though I’ve been involved with photography in a work context in the past.

Used plenty of photographic gear over the years from rangefinders, TLRs, medium and large format. Back then I was a Minolta freak and I think I’ve pretty much owned a lot of Minolta 35mm cameras and lenses over the years. To me they are great ergonomically speaking. Today the only Minolta gear that I still have is an enlarging lens and the excellent Autometer V. Perhaps because I’m not overly sentimental about gear, so a lot that’s excess to requirement gets sold, traded or given away, but that doesn't mean i still don't miss some of those camera gear that on hindsight I ought to have kept.

My first digital SLR was the Nikon D70. I used Nikon because I still had quite a number of Nikon legacy lenses. Developed issues with the sensor on both of my camera bodies and decided to jump ship. I almost bought the Sony Alpha A100 but was put off by the noisy images at high ISO. I stumbled upon the Pentax K100D almost by accident. The in-body shake reduction and the color from the CCD sensor was what I liked. To be honest, having used many 35mm film cameras, with the exception of the very compact Pentax MX, I’ve never been that impressed with Pentax 35mm film cameras and so for me to buy a Pentax, and a digital one at that, was a pretty big gamble. I still can’t quite remember what made me buy it but perhaps it was too cheap to pass up. Since that K100D, I've owned the *istDL2, K10D. K100D Super, K20D, K-7, K-r, K-5, K-01 and Q.

What I enjoy most about Pentax is not about the cameras and lenses but the close friendships I’ve developed with other Pentax enthusiasts. Yes Pentax is and still remains the underdog brand but if you know what to do, the cameras have the right feature set to shoot nice images.

Now that Ricoh has acquired Pentax, things have sort of come a full circle as I now use my Ricoh GXR as much as my Pentax gear. Looking forward to the K-5IIs...

Some past images:

3140470156_45fd3c0110_o.jpg

3123827363_1bca4bf02d_o.jpg

3124652920_85494f52ce_o.jpg

2730639539_03579cfdd8_o.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely stories! Mine is short and sweet - my dad is an avid photographer, with a Spottie he purchased in the US when he was studying there, with some nice lenses - Vivitar 35/1.9, Super Tak 50/1.4 and a Super Tak 105/2.8 - classic photographer's kit. SO I did my research, and picked up a K-x + 18-55/55-300 to use with dad's old primes, shipped to India from the US, as Pentax, in their infinite wisdom do not consider India, with 1.1 billion people a good market :O
Anyway, I love this camera - it's been used and abused from Kashmir to Oman to Turkey to Japan and back, and has performed well for me. LBA has reared its head of course, to the eternal frustration of my wife :p

Last edited:
Lovely stories! Mine is short and sweet - my dad is an avid photographer, with a Spottie he purchased in the US when he was studying there, with some nice lenses - Vivitar 35/1.9, Super Tak 50/1.4 and a Super Tak 105/2.8 - classic photographer's kit. SO I did my research, and picked up a K-x + 18-55/55-300 to use with dad's old primes, shipped to India from the US, as Pentax, in their infinite wisdom do not consider India, with 1.1 billion people a good market :O
Anyway, I love this camera - it's been used and abused from Kashmir to man to Turkey to Japan and back, and has performed well for me. LBA has reared its head of course, to the eternal frustration of my wife :p

You can safely tell your wife that this is your only "mistress". But, yes, photography is an expensive affair.

felixcat8888 said:
You can safely tell your wife that this is your only "mistress". But, yes, photography is an expensive affair.

No Felix.... It's not... Just like normal human relationship, the wife/"mistress" offsprings are the expensive ones; kids/lenses!! ;P

it seems like Kx is the beginning for most of us here and its no exception for me. Can't say I was mad about photography in the past but I always have an interest in it. The only stopping me was that I was still schooling and can't afford one. Started work in 2008 and by christmas of 2009 I have finally the budget to get one. Look around the forums and seems like best bang for bucks at that time (still is now) is Pentax. Got one on Christmas day itself and never looked back. Held it for a good 2 years, accompanied me overseas and on weekends, decided it was time to upgrade and got the K5 on Christmas again, of 2011 ... LOL.

Everytime I pick up the K5, i learn something new. Among all my friends, I am the only on holding a Pentax. Some of them would always go on about the C&N blah blah blah but proud to say I never once felt out of place. I more than believe the gear can hold its on, whatever else is the person pressing the shutter button. One thing I am damn smirk about is the size, when I go out shooting with my friends I never felt weight was a burden. They would always go, where is your stuff and I would show them my "camera bag". I can practically bring it out every weekend if I hit the town and I still wouldn't feel it.

One of the more candid moments was back in 2010 year end on my trip to Japan. Kyoto it was, in one of those shrine. One Japanese store uncle, as I was looking at the stuff he was selling suddenly said to me "Good camera you have there". I think the brand history itself is a testament of the quality Pentax is offering over the decades. Another was my first "pentax outing". Talking bout this makes me abit shy to say I haven't join a single one here yet. It was a trip down to Johor for a weekend astro shoot and it so happens there were 3 malaysian pentax guys joining us from that side. I think I learnt quite abit from them, and they were super friendly as well.

That said, I don't think my affinity with Pentax will end anytime soon. It is really a joy to have it in my hands.

6817704835_295f681a3c.jpg

Kx, Japan 2010

7165079710_c948ec9fd2.jpg

virgin shoot with the 77mm

8023990586_4aa0650e6d_z.jpg

F1 2012

8172172300_25940fbe15_z.jpg

40XS can do wonders as well ...

imag4035.jpg

how i roll nowadays

Last edited:
Can't resist dropping a note to say that I've enjoyed following this thread very much. The stories are great - real and without the embellishments that could so easily turn this into a discussion about gear.

i start to have interest in photography after looking at my friend's facebook photo. how lucky he is to have to many hot babes surrounding him for photoshoot. therefore i start to search around the forum/internet looking through review
hoping to find myself a good and budget camera. Pentax KR with DA35/2.4 fit my budget during that point of time and from that time onwards i am a Pentaxian and i fall in love with taking landscape/cityscape photo soon after thanks to night86mare/edutilos stunning photo

i have meet many good friends and mentor through this years. Baracus, supersimon, supermeng, poseur , gummy73 +++ and i would like to thanks them for their help.
All i can say is pentax is a camera that worth it price and HDR rockz.

8177808393_4d65c61e45.jpg

6607759007_2622d77f86.jpg

6511358191_150fc8c3d6.jpg

6320567783_43fa54dfa7.jpg

keep the stories coming guys!!

Last edited:
By 2007, I'd been taking photos for four to five years; shot the usual stuff, for fun, on travels, and for school -- you know, record shots of students' outings, funny faces and such. (They hated most of the photos, by the way. My friends too, whenever I do portraits of them. The ingrates' rallying cry: "Too unglam!" Ok, perhaps, I really can't make it at people photography..)

Even then, I took the whole photo-taking process pretty seriously; in other words, like a nerd -- I learned to hold the camera properly, read up on rules of thirds, experimented with funky angles (and gave up that approach fast) and all the other stuff.

My first digicam was the Canon Powershot A70, which cost $699. Saved for a while to get it. My eyes watered at the price, then and now. It was a 3.2mp bridge camera, with a then-ridiculous zoom range and a swivel LCD screen. I preferred not to use the LCD though; using the electronic viewfinder seemed more stable and enabled me to focus better, and besides, I felt more 'pro' that way. And I liked the camera a lot; shots were 'free', it was small, light, produced nice colours and supremely convenient -- oh, the zoom, look at the zoom! Later, I upgraded to the Powershot A95.. even more zooooommm!

But there was one nagging issue: always, always, I hated the noise, those speckles and fuzziness, you know, how hopeless small-sensor cameras' low-light capability is (and note I'm referring to 2003-07 technology). Once it got the slightest bit dark-ish, every snap turned out kind of blurry and smeary and ugly.

So I thought about a DSLR. For just one reason: I wanted better low-light photos. I didn't care, or know about bokeh or sensor size or resolution, or lenses. (And a bonus was, I already like using a viewfinder, which is standard on DSLRs.) I did some more reading and research and price checks and specs comparisons till one fine day in Jan 2008..

.. I walked into OP and waltzed out with a K100Ds. It cost about $800+, came with a kit lens, and tagging behind was a happy novice DSLR-owner. The rest, as it's said, should be history. But then I'm no famous photographer, so here's more of the too-long-by-now story.

It was a month or so later when I got the FA50. I had read so much about its superb low-light qualities. And so it was that I fell for prime lenses, fell head over heels and straight into the abyss. (I've never managed to get to my feet since, or find my way out of the chasm, in fact.)

I went bonkers with the K100Ds, pointing it at all kinds of things, anytime, anyplace, and notched up over 20,000 shots with it using a variety of lenses. I lugged it along on trips to Penang, Vientiane, Melbourne and Tasmania, irritating my travel companions, wallabies, villagers, street vendors by shooting them and everything else incessantly.

A year and a half later, in mid-2009, I got the K-7 fresh from its launch in Singapore (and sold the well-abused K100Ds to a friend). The faithful one has since followed me everywhere for 3 years (and counting), including a year overseas. Yup, I abused it quite a bit as well; it's nearing 30,000 shots and has been in some unsavoury climatic conditions.

(This year, I held two photography exhibitions to raise funds for a special needs school; all the photos exhibited were, I'm happy to say, shot with the K-7 and a Limited trio. Thanks again to all Pentaxians who went down to support!)

Then, well, you know the not-so-hot rep the K-7 has for high-ISO performance. And I needed/wanted/demanded better low-light shots -- sounds like an echo in here -- to shoot owls or bats or something. So I got the K-01 earlier this year. It's interesting, how I have 'regressed' from being a 'pro' (at least to some friends) to a kindergarten one now, carrying a brick-like bright yellow toy camera lookalike, holding it out and shooting using the LCD screen. But I love it, been using it almost exclusively instead of the K-7. Maybe I'm getting old, but it's getting more tiring to use the viewfinder.

Today, I own the K-7 (3+ years old), the K-01 (half a year old, bought second-hand), an 'analogue' ME Super SE (decades old, bought 3 years ago), and the Ricoh GRD III (bought late last year, second-hand).

In other words: Today, I have too many cameras.

My lenses? The DA21, FA43, DA70 and K135 f2.5. Spotted a pattern? Yup, prime lenses throughout. So much for my erstwhile love of zooms. The other interesting lens trivia: I've never bought a lens new, except for the K100Ds kit.

Now, why Pentax, and why have I stuck with it all the while? It. Just. Works. For me. I love the Limiteds. I love the handling. I love the compactness of the bodies and lenses. (I'm extremely allergic to big cameras/lenses.) I love how it feels designed for photographers, by photographers. I love the quirks and willingness to be different, to go its own way (see: the K-01, the Q and all those colours).

Most of all, I love being part of a cult, oops, I mean, being in an exclusive, premium club with the swanky clubhouse, comfy lounge, secret handshake and the all-knowing special wink. In more practical terms, fellow Pentaxians have loaned me equipment (lenses, and even a flash once), signed up for voluntary assignments I organised, given me priceless lobangs (exhibitions, contacts) and more.

What else can I say? Thank you so much!

That's it.

(You're still here? Hey, thanks!)

Last edited:
Very interesting thread to follow. Keep it up! I'll contribute to this thread when I get my camera. :)

edutilos- said:
You're switching? I can't remember what system you're using anyways. Never has been my concern. :bsmilie:

Yea. Switching from canon. It was years ago when u and some other Pentaxians tried convincing me to get a Pentax system. After 3 yrs i ended up back at the same point :bsmilie:

once upon a time.... a young man wanted to take some pictures..

he got a pentax film camera... but no passion to persue

10 years ago, he got the sony cybershot, bulky, 2-mb digital camera, almost the first in the industry for he remebered S$2k, in hongkong. he didn't do much with it also, until 2 years ago, looking at all the beautiful pictures taken by dslr, decided to get one himself. and just to make sure he did not waste money like before, his criteria was a "cheap" camera.... and pentax kx was it, though not cheap compared to film one.

his approach to photography is "minimalistic/maximalistic" - minimal technique, minmal preparations, minimal equipment, minimal pp, minimal work in 2 words..... to get a good picture out, he just keeps shooting, everything that he likes.... so "film wastage" is maximum, and maximum hope that out of all the pictures,some turn out good....a typical lazy-man's attitude. over the 2 years, learned something - that any photographer must have a good pair of eyes/inner eyes to spot beautiful shot when one is captured, though he may not realize it while taking the pictures. and pp is needed to make the picture with the feel you are comfortable with....

serendipity takes center stage, in his life and his pictures... like some pentax forumer once said to him : keep shooting, something good will come out.

here's some over these 2 years.

pasir ris beach
fish2.JPG

rainman(palawan, philippines)
69016d1282619277-people-rain-man-rainmanps1.jpg

quarter note(note the rough pp, not even knew how to use PS then)
qtrnote1.JPG

marina bay
dome.JPG

selatar reservoir
star.JPG

Last edited:
It all began in 2007... after a relationship ended, a friend of mine introduced me to photography to kill time and brought me to SLS.

My 1st Dslr was a Canon 400D with a sigma 17-70mm my biggest investment i ever made on photography, i thought I was crazy but well like they say once you get through the 1st $1000, the rest is easy. Life was much more interesting as it a whole new learning experience, never knew that there would be so much satisfaction. Also back then, not many people carry DSLRs around as well so it feels good :D

But then again in 2009 I had to sell all my photography equipment due to financial Woes and also could not find time to do photography as well... only to realise that Life is so DULL without my DSLR, possibly the biggest regret of my life. So i decided to start it off again with a prosumer series with is slightly what i can afford, a Canon G11, didn't really produced the result that i wanted compared to a 400D

But somehow i think im really very unlucky and i lost the Camera less than 2 months into purchase :( heart pain sia... Anyway 6 months later i Bought a Sony NEX-3, Had Great fun with it but still not good enough as it doesn't produce the results i wanted. Therefore started to research again, This time Looking beyond the commons brands. I found Pentax KR, really affordable, though not much lens to select from but suits my budget and the results can be really AMAZING.

Got my 1st KR 2nd from one of the guys here... and never looked back. With the amount of money i spent with Pentax i Achieved results comparable or Far better than my 400D. Though most of my friends are using Canon or Nikon, in fact they encouraged me to move back to Canon or Nikon, and can share lens. But then again, Pentax lens are Much more affordable!!! WHY share when i can OWN one!!! haha

Anyway gonna move on to a WR frame cus i wanna be able to shoot in bad weather!!! No looking back to any other brands Other than Pentax.

Here's some pictures I taken