Workshop - Zone System For Digital Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here...please let me know where to register...thanks!

Due to overwhelming responses, I have no choice but to split all the participants into "a-group-per-week" basis. This is to keep each group small (8 persons or less) so that you can learn more and worry less about your equipment being crashed by the person next to you.

The workshop will commence some time in June. I will annouce the actual date and time. Please keep an eye on this forum.

Thank you so much. This is what makes photography education great!

pls keep me in the loop. I would love to learn from u too. cheers!

Any people here graduated from Temasek Polytechnic? I will like to teach there. I heard the institution has a good photographic facility.

Man! That HR lady still lingles in my mind. Old hag!

photopurist said:
Any people here graduated from Temasek Polytechnic? I will like to teach there. I heard the institution has a good photographic facility.

Man! That HR lady still lingles in my mind. Old hag!

dude, if u knock hard enough, doors will open.....

I'm interested. Count me in. :)

I am sharing a little insight regarding this workshop. What you will learn.
  1. What is Zone System? Why should you care?
  2. Who the F**K is Ansel Adams?
  3. Heated debate about digital vs. film? Which format will win?
  4. Disadvantages of the binary world.
  5. What is previsualization? How to use it?
  6. Idiot-proof way to tonal calibrate you digicam to match your printer.
  7. And last but not least, how to kiss your boss's ass and get a pay raise immediately (joking!).
However, I do have one crucial criteria. Everybody MUST have a positive learning attitude. I do not want any smartass who try to correct my errors (I admit I do make mistakes at times) or argue over matters. Remember, this is a workshop, not a courtroom.

Hi,

Count me in, please.

Thanks.

count me in for the june course! :)

photopurist said:
  7. And last but not least, how to kiss your boss's ass and get a pay raise immediately (joking!).
However, I do have one crucial criteria. Everybody MUST have a positive learning attitude. I do not want any smartass who try to correct my errors (I admit I do make mistakes at times) or argue over matters. Remember, this is a workshop, not a courtroom.

If I may say something please. Please take this with a positive attitude, as you yourself mentioned.

You seem to have a lot of negative attitude in yourself, with words like "old fart", "old hag", "who the F**K is Ansel Adams, "kiss your boss's ass". Are such vocabulary necessary? Does it elevate your status as a potential "teacher"/"instructor"?

Another thing. Learning is not a one way process. The worst teachers I have seen are those who are intolerant of others views. If there are contrary but legitimate viewpoints, why be negative about it? You may have learnt a lot from the RIT and the many other workshops you had attended, but even one of your teachers, John Sexton, was gracious enough to admit errors.

And on a more practical note. Perhaps you might want to get into contact with Chow Chee Yong (I believe this is the correct spelling) who is a teacher with Temasek. A very good photographer, a generous teacher, and a humble man. Perhaps he might be able o help you.

And oh..

If you want to avoid any heated arguments and "smartassses" making trouble, may I gently suggest you reconsider the "fim versus digital" debate. It is only slightly less inflammatory/provocative than religion.

Unless of course, since this is zone system for digital, and people who attend this workshop are presumably digital shooters, the conclusion is obvious. Im which case, why bring it up in the first instance?

But of course, one can argue till the cows come home, and there will be never be a consensus as "which format will win" Certainly John Sexton is still very much film, and I believe Jerry too. Huntingtion Witherall, a photographer whose works I deeply admire, has gone 100% digital from film, but only because he had a lot of problem from te chemicals (presumably)

photopurist said:

When I started out photography, Ansel Adams was my inspirations. You should not used - Who the F**K was Ansel Adams ? It kinda kind of insulted! :nono:

photopurist said:

I presume you are called Larry.

I appreciate your kind gesture in making this a free session.

I am disgusted by your attitude. Your tone may be jovial and casual, but you should understand that you are nonetheless an instructor-to-be and you should be discreet in your comments.

I am also a fan of Ansel Adam, and you have disgrace yourself by labeling Ansel as "FXXK". I am not sure how "drinking western water" has affected you, but my stint in Australia has not affected me much.

You seem to portray to me as a pro-film, and I can even sense that you will eventually tell the class the disadvantage of digital. This digital zone thing is as good as a smoke screen where you might say zone system for film has more advantage.

That is all I have, for my comments.

Aiya... why won't we let people be who they are.
Will we be happy only when EVERYONE behaves in an wimpy, 'gentlemanly' and uniform way?
Why u prefer people to always be politically correct?
Having a strong personality is a good thing right?
Maybe you don't like rock or heavy metal, but lots of us do, and it's fun to be anti-authoritarian sometimes.
If everyone were to be politically correct all the time, this world would be super sad.... and lame.
And what will you gain from that?
Learn to appreciate the good in people even though they have, to you, 'less desirable' traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.