Winter in Osaka / Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booked my Osaka accommodations. Swissotel in osaka. Right on top of nanba train station and takashimaya.

Take one of the promotions it is 12500 yen (excl saturday) inclusive of tax for a pretty big room (32sqm) at high floors. I think it is a GREAT deal for a very good hotel in a very good location with a big room and only 12500 yen....
May I ask where you booked your accommodation from?

:Later,

DO consider overnight @ the hakone mt Fuji region, its really nice to have a hot springs experience

yea it's nice to stop over at hakone,

you can even go to the factory outlets.

got alot more time, unlike those who follow the hotel bus.

i won't cos we drive there.

if you are really interested in hot springs,

when in hokkaido, go to noboribetsu.

DO consider overnight @ the hakone mt Fuji region, its really nice to have a hot springs experience

Yes, hakone area and the traditional hot springs are a must.
It's better to spend more time in tokyo-kyoto-nara than in osaka. IMO there are only USJ (well, it's worth to see..) and rinku town (factory-outlet mall, family park, and shopping mall). You can shinkansen your way from north to osaka, then I'd suggest that you stay in kansai (airport area), you can access USJ by bus/train conveniently, and when you go back to your hotel, it's already near the airport. Rinku town is also only 200yen away from the airport using the twice/thrice hourly shuttle bus.

Cheers,

any recommendations on where to stay in Hakone?

I have booked all my accomodations except the night at hakone. Budget around maybe $600 per night per room (2 people).

Check out this group...

http://english.ichinoyu.co.jp/index.html

They are staggered throughout the Hakone area at differing interests/sights...
I actually booked the one just next to the Little Prince museum for june but cancelled the trip just when the h1n1 exploded in Japan.. paid a small penalty.. but would definitely book it again... the pictures look really nice... but first hand experience would be a better giude. their prices are competitive.

Here's what i had to consider when choosing a Ryokan:

1. Do i want the meals served in the room
2. Am i comfortable in the public onsen

i ended up compromising the food so i booked a package to eat in a common area.
the good thing is that the room comes with a private onsen...

so you need to figure out your comfort zone...

on the other hand... you could just stay at a Ryokan with no onsen and just go to a public one and pay the price for entry..

there's a really 'happening' one at the Hakone Machi area.. some mega onsen park...
http://www.yunessun.com/english/

http://www.hakone.or.jp/english/index.html
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/english/freepass/index.html

i'll be bringing family last week of november this year... trying very hard to find some snow... air-tickets already booked to timing cannot change...

if in hakone, i recommend yunessun.

visited it before when there with my aunt and uncle...

actually if i'm in tokyo it's more shopping and not sight-seeing...

i'd rather go hokkaido for sight-seeings.

and again, if anyone's booking hotels near ginza, try out HOTEL MECURE GINZA.

reasonably priced, 4 star international standards hotel.

just behind LV and bvlgari, on ni-chome.

I booked taiseikan for one night (2 person + 1 infant) at 48000 yen.... kind of pricey but trip advisor has good reviews.

They serve dinner in the room and that is impt to me as I am travelling with a baby. if you want dinner served privately, I think the price is not that expensive. There are more expensive ones....

A bit out of the way but I think staying in Hakone I want a bit of quiet.

Last edited:
Make sure you all are warm enough cos the winds can get quite cold. Wear a good second layer as it will go a long way to keep out the cold. Pay more for a good second layer but it'll keep you warm. Important otherwise the cold can make one very miserable. I remember being in Tokyo around Christmas one year and I was really cold though I had many layers on cos I was not wearing the right material. Tokyo gets windy too.

yea it's nice to stop over at hakone,

you can even go to the factory outlets.

got alot more time, unlike those who follow the hotel bus.

i won't cos we drive there.

if you are really interested in hot springs,

when in hokkaido, go to noboribetsu.

:thumbsup:stayed at Club med Sahoro when i was in Hokkaido :) Really nice and quiet Skit resort with its own mountain and hot springs

It's better to spend more time in tokyo-kyoto-nara than in osaka. IMO there are only USJ (well, it's worth to see..) and rinku town (factory-outlet mall, family park, and shopping mall). You can shinkansen your way from north to osaka, then I'd suggest that you stay in kansai (airport area), you can access USJ by bus/train conveniently, and when you go back to your hotel, it's already near the airport. Rinku town is also only 200yen away from the airport using the twice/thrice hourly shuttle bus.
In my case, I intend make Osaka as base for USJ, Kyoto and Nara. I only have about 3.5 days before my return flight. Given that I've split it as:

.5 - Osaka Aquarium. Osaka walk around
1 Day - USJ. Rest of the time -- if any -- to be spent walking around Osaka.
1 Day - Kyoto. Rest of the time -- if any -- to be spent walking around Osaka.
1 Day - Nara. Somehow, I kind of feel there's not much to do in Nara? :think: Might spend less than a day there and spend the rest of the day doing some last minute shopping in Osaka.

:Later,

Room rate for 2 pax at hotel granvia which is directly above Osaka JR station at 12000 yen. This is at least a 4 stars hotel and the price is cheaper than those 3 stars hotel around the station. Most importantly, it is just above the Osaka Jr station and it is near all the shopping centres and eating streets.

See the englisg website but the japanese website has a better rate. If you can read Jap, then book thru the jap site.

Room rate for 2 pax at hotel granvia which is directly above Osaka JR station at 12000 yen. This is at least a 4 stars hotel and the price is cheaper than those 3 stars hotel around the station. Most importantly, it is just above the Osaka Jr station and it is near all the shopping centres and eating streets.

See the englisg website but the japanese website has a better rate. If you can read Jap, then book thru the jap site.

my wife wanted the graniva but for 12000 yen the double rooms are VERY SMALL. I think 20sqm??

Swissotel at 12500 yen is much better. 33sqm room, high floor (32-34 floor). Namba station is the minami southern hub of osaka. Osaka JR is the kita northern hub. both have very good access and shopping. Namba is probably closer to the airport and Universal studio. Osaka JR does not have shinkansen so you still have to take a subway to get to shin osaka.

my wife wanted the graniva but for 12000 yen the double rooms are VERY SMALL. I think 20sqm??

Swissotel at 12500 yen is much better. 33sqm room, high floor (32-34 floor). Namba station is the minami southern hub of osaka. Osaka JR is the kita northern hub. both have very good access and shopping. Namba is probably closer to the airport and Universal studio. Osaka JR does not have shinkansen so you still have to take a subway to get to shin osaka.

Yes, i agree that the room is small. However, the rate is only applicable to Sep09. If the rate is the same during your travelling period, then i would also recommend Westin.

Not sure why, i still llike the area around Osaka station although westin is a few blocks away.

I also stayed before Hotel Kinki which is right in the heart of the food street (cannot remember that area). Nice budget hotel which is less than 6000yen per night and most important, when you are hungry late in the night, you can still find food right in front of the hotel main entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.