Will you use your DIY flash diffusers outside of your house?

Personally it doesn't matter what or how it looks like, as long as it works. But one consideration is whether it may create a negative impression (on oneself) to certain groups of paying Clients.

Not that that should ever matter in the pursuit of results, but we live in a world where impressions can matter at times, and the same logic goes for any working photographer dealing with various groups of people. :)

Also.. not everyone would get a chance to see your photos but they would be seeing your setup. :sweat:

Personally it doesn't matter what or how it looks like, as long as it works. But one consideration is whether it may create a negative impression (on oneself) to certain groups of paying Clients.
Not that that should ever matter in the pursuit of results, but we live in a world where impressions can matter at times, and the same logic goes for any working photographer dealing with various groups of people. :)

I agree on that. It goes along the line of dressing properly and acting in responsible way as photographer. Yes, result will matter when it comes to presenting work and a portfolio doesn't show the milk bottles and tupperware used to create the images. But if one turns up at corporate functions with a collection of kitchen utensils and recycle ware I'm not really sure about future assignments, regardless how great the results will be. Nothing against DIY solutions - but they also have to look presentable and properly made when used in certain assignments. Insects won't mind flash diffused by milk bottles, CFOs rather get confused facing such approaches.

it's just marginally better....u could use actual black plastic to line the base instead, especially if u're worried about presentation. Since it's going to be for ur own usage and u like it, why not make it look non-DIY? U might need to spend a bit more at the hardware shop, but it's definitely still cheaper than its commercial counter parts. Experiment with it and u can mod ur diffuser to an all in one - diffuser, bounce card, soft box, etc.

it's just marginally better....u could use actual black plastic to line the base instead, especially if u're worried about presentation. Since it's going to be for ur own usage and u like it, why not make it look non-DIY? U might need to spend a bit more at the hardware shop, but it's definitely still cheaper than its commercial counter parts. Experiment with it and u can mod ur diffuser to an all in one - diffuser, bounce card, soft box, etc.

thanks, the problem i have is that I'm not sure how i can join plastics. do you have any idea?

At first I was thinking of buying a sheet of plastic and cut into a boxy shape and then cut out the hole just nice for the flash, but i'm not sure how to join the cut edges..

Hmm.. just curious, haha how would make it an all in one? cuz the way a diffuser works is different from a bounce card, no?

Thanks for your input! :p

thanks, the problem i have is that I'm not sure how i can join plastics. do you have any idea?

At first I was thinking of buying a sheet of plastic and cut into a boxy shape and then cut out the hole just nice for the flash, but i'm not sure how to join the cut edges..

Hmm.. just curious, haha how would make it an all in one? cuz the way a diffuser works is different from a bounce card, no?

Thanks for your input! :p

superglue don't stick well....u can try chloroform. For mine, i used staples which re alot more trustworthy. My diffuser is not enclosed like urs. It has a open top and can work as a concentrator for throwing long shot. So my diffuser has own few accessories to alter its properties which i've yet to find a commercial equivalent.... =b

superglue don't stick well....u can try chloroform. For mine, i used staples which re alot more trustworthy. My diffuser is not enclosed like urs. It has a open top and can work as a concentrator for throwing long shot. So my diffuser has own few accessories to alter its properties which i've yet to find a commercial equivalent.... =b

Hmm.. Chloroform might be a bit hard to find and difficult to use due to the fumes. Ha I used to use it in my lab under a fume hood. Hmm.. maybe I can try and find some again =)

interesting, can you show some pictures?

Hmm.. Chloroform might be a bit hard to find and difficult to use due to the fumes. Ha I used to use it in my lab under a fume hood. Hmm.. maybe I can try and find some again =)

interesting, can you show some pictures?

unfortunately, i don't ve any pics of my flash diffuser other than the one i post up...