Will you lend your camera to friends for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That LL feeling I can understand, but that is borrowing without permission. But lending to someone is something we can control. By lending. it means that we are willing to accept the risk of misuse, intentional or unintentional. At least there is still a possibility of asking for some form of compensation from humans. but still that feeling is equally LL :sweatsm:

I think you nailed the feeling. Makes it very difficult sometimes. If broken or scratched, I'll feel bad for asking them to help shoulder the cost. If I don't lend, I feel like I am being too selfish. Very LL no matter what happens. If lend, then know they cannot afford the repairs or replacement, then worry over it. If don't lend, remember the younger days when kinder souls have given me the help, I worry over karma. Either way it's a catch22.

No, I won borrow my DSLR to anyone.

i did, i lent it to my very close friend. But then in the end huh, my friend lost a part of my camera(cause it was the traditional film kind of camera), and said that some stuff on my camera was lose and things like that.

Initially i was really mad about it, ,and i even wanted to like kill the friend man. But then i thought, the friendship meant so much more than the $$$ used to pay for the camera. Some camera parts can be bought again, but a friend loss, is like gone forever. Plus this friend was a childhood friend.

*sigh* what to do? swallow my pain, and repair the camera myself. Then tell myself, next time don't loan it out. Its like protection for you & your buddy you know. my 5cents take on this.

i did, i lent it to my very close friend. But then in the end huh, my friend lost a part of my camera(cause it was the traditional film kind of camera), and said that some stuff on my camera was lose and things like that.

Initially i was really mad about it, ,and i even wanted to like kill the friend man. But then i thought, the friendship meant so much more than the $$$ used to pay for the camera. Some camera parts can be bought again, but a friend loss, is like gone forever. Plus this friend was a childhood friend.

*sigh* what to do? swallow my pain, and repair the camera myself. Then tell myself, next time don't loan it out. Its like protection for you & your buddy you know. my 5cents take on this.
you are correct in a way. :thumbsup:
but your friend have done you wrong if he really lose it yet doesn't admit. the least he should do is admit he lost it and not say that it was because the thing came lose... etc.

when it comes to equipments, very 'ma fan' sometimes.

lend a camera and if it is spoilt.
the debate can go down to whether your camera bag can offer your stuff ample protection.
viewfinder spoil, then we might question how you're using it.

who is right and who is wrong in the end, also very 'ma fan.'

salute those who can graciously lend it to others. and those who can swiftly say no. :what:

Keep in your mind. If you opt not to lend your camera or lenses, don't think to borrow from others! I choose this opt for peace in mind.

It is up to you then ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

The fact is that when that piece of equipment is a borrowed item, you will not take care of it as much compare to your own stuff.

Humans are usually selfish .. it is a fact we know ourselves, that why we hesistate to lent out our own equipments.

friends come and go, enemies accumulate. I don't want to accumulate more enemies! I believe always be good to people and believe in the goodness in them.

lend battery ok lah. lend lens.... very siong leh. :embrass:

friends come and go, enemies accumulate. I don't want to accumulate more enemies! I believe always be good to people and believe in the goodness in them.
Friends come and go, but their still your friends right?

So, will you lend your camera to friends for free?

Regards,
Arto.

i believe that if that fren is a true fren, he/she would be willing to bear responsibilities on any damages/repairs without asking.
how would u feel if u borrowed something from a close fren and u spoilt it?

Lend to my brother 1....end up lost...:dunno:
What to do:think:
:cry:

I personally think that lending to friends is better than lending to relatives. Friends will take better care of your camera since they know how crazy you are about photography, while relatives might not really take good care, since... Well, you know, we're all a family or some silly inane nonsense like that.

I have left a complete system with an art student because he could not afford a DSLR system to complete his course. And boy, his pictures are turning out to be very good and in return, we have honest discussions about photography and in the end, I learnt something from him as well.

It depends on
a. your assessment of the character and quality of a particular friend.
b. your own financial situation.
c. whether any sentimental value to the equipment.

I have friends who can lend a brand new lens just bought from CP, to another friend to use first, even before himself.
And it is a Hassel lens.

Well i'll only lend it to close frens or those i trust to take good care of my camera.There're some some frens who borrow things and lose them or return them in poor condition.these are the frens i try not to lend things to

don't think so. If I borrow sth out, I will be prepared never to see it again. So as to give no chance for friendship to turn sour at all

When it comes to money, friendship can become a "variable".

My fren used his credit card to lend few thousands to his 'best' fren who he thinks was having financial difficulties. But his fren never returned the money back nor did he ever raise the issue of paying back when he has the money in the future. :thumbsd: My this fren ended up with really bad credit card debt & took him 1-2 years to repay the bank.

Moral of the story: Don't borrow anything & don't lend anything.

FYI, i don't even want to lend my camera to anyone who just want to try or see & play abit.
He/she should just go to Harvey Norman, Courts, etc for this purposes. I have one fren who keeps wanting to play with my camera. I let him play twice b4, but after that itz NO MORE. He recently bought a car & i see no reason for him not to afford a DSLR if he seriously likes photography. :what:

IMO, a true fren can be verified only if he had ever risked his life for me. A good fren will understand your interest at heart. Otherwise, go n fly kite!

When it comes to money, friendship can become a "variable".

My fren used his credit card to lend few thousands to his 'best' fren who he thinks was having financial difficulties. But his fren never returned the money back nor did he ever raise the issue of paying back when he has the money in the future. :thumbsd: My this fren ended up with really bad credit card debt & took him 1-2 years to repay the bank.

Moral of the story: Don't borrow anything & don't lend anything.

FYI, i don't even want to lend my camera to anyone who just want to try or see & play abit.
He/she should just go to Harvey Norman, Courts, etc for this purposes. I have one fren who keeps wanting to play with my camera. I let him play twice b4, but after that itz NO MORE. He recently bought a car & i see no reason for him not to afford a DSLR if he seriously likes photography. :what:

IMO, a true fren can be verified only if he had ever risked his life for me. A good fren will understand your interest at heart. Otherwise, go n fly kite!
haha sounds serious.
personally i don mind lending anyone, even those who are nubs on cameras... yes cameras, not even SLR/dSLR. but that is provided im around to watch. :sweat:

If you’ve spent a tidy amount laying out your camera, lenses and mac set up, will you lend / rent it to your friends for commercial or school projects?

I suppose things like that get pretty tricky. If they borrow it for free, what happens if something happens to your gear?

On the other hand, if they rent it from you, wouldn’t that defeat the saying, “take up the job only when you have the capability/sources/gear to do it well?”

Wondering if anybody here has found himself this position.
I won't even rent my equipment out for $$, so the answer is no, I will not lend my equipment out to friends unless it's for a short while and I'm around.

Status
Not open for further replies.