Will you buy the New V1 & J1???

Will you buy the V1 or J1?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I have G3, GF3 and J1.

Under controlled lighting like those from DPreview, J1 sensor performs brillantly till iso3200, matching G3 and beating GF3.

I seriously doubt the capability of Dpreview and imaging resource samples for GF3 as it seems overly soft, colors are off and lots of noise. If you see dcresource or photographyblog, they are getting similar results as i have got from GF3, an improvement from previous GFs for sure with its new jpeg engine. It is not as bad as those shown in dpreview for sure and not far from G3 in my own shooting observation.

But when comes to real world low light shooting, the small J1 sensor begins to take its toll, producing quite pixelated grains and showing really lots of noise that is quite unrecoverable even in PP.

I would say J1 can retain better colors but noisier in high iso in normal indoor shoots while G3 and GF3 has cleaner outputs.

However given twice the size difference between J1 and m4/3, its already an excellent job by Nikon.

This new system seriously needs fast primes to get more out of the good sensor and also to clear up some operations quirks in firmware update.

Last edited:
I have G3, GF3 and J1.

Under controlled lighting like those from DPreview, J1 sensor performs brillantly till iso3200, matching G3 and beating GF3.

I seriously doubt the capability of Dpreview and imaging resource samples for GF3 as it seems overly soft, colors are off and lots of noise. If you see dcresource or photographyblog, they are getting similar results as i have got from GF3, an improvement from previous GFs for sure with its new jpeg engine. It is not as bad as those shown in dpreview for sure and not far from G3 in my own shooting observation.

But when comes to real world low light shooting, the small J1 sensor begins to take its toll, producing quite pixelated grains and showing really lots of noise that is quite unrecoverable even in PP.

I would say J1 can retain better colors but noisier in high iso in normal indoor shoots while G3 and GF3 has cleaner outputs.

However given twice the size difference between J1 and m4/3, its already an excellent job by Nikon.

This new system seriously needs fast primes to get more out of the good sensor and also to clear up some operations quirks in firmware update.

Hmm that is interesting.. decisions decisions. Maybe I should just save up for a good lens for my DSLR. Lol.

I bought it for 1170 at TK Foto, I got the dual kit lens (10-30 & 30-110). I must say the 30-110 is very sharp! I love the EVF!

I still must comment, it a WAY OVERPRICED 2.7x crop factor camera.... Thou i'm pretty impressed by the expeed3 sensor processor and 60fps (electronic)...

If the V1 was priced around S$750 with the kit lens, I'd be interested in getting one. Tried the camera out today, I like the AF, the EVF is decent though the handling is par for the course with its competitors. Unfortunately, its priced way too high for me to consider it atm, which is a pity as I've been in the Nikon system for more than 17 years.

It also needs a good set of prime lenses with large apertures (F1.4) at least to allow for a shallower DOF effect. A 30/1.4 and a 15/1.4 would be ideal especially if they can keep the size under control.

Rurouni said:
If the V1 was priced around S$750 with the kit lens, I'd be interested in getting one. Tried the camera out today, I like the AF, the EVF is decent though the handling is par for the course with its competitors. Unfortunately, its priced way too high for me to consider it atm, which is a pity as I've been in the Nikon system for more than 17 years.

It also needs a good set of prime lenses with large apertures (F1.4) at least to allow for a shallower DOF effect. A 30/1.4 and a 15/1.4 would be ideal especially if they can keep the size under control.

You should be able to get that price when the V3 comes out. Canon S100 compact is $699 already.

SilverSurfer66 said:
I wanted to get a V1 badly. Went yesterday to my fave shop to purchase it as a replacement camera for my wife. However, when I tried it out, the caera just seems to have too many software bugs in it. After shooting a photo, the screen goes balnk, viewfinder blank, and then it freezes for a couple of seconds. The lens quality - erm ... plastic?!? Photo quality is ok - but definitely in the P&S category. Ended up disappointed and bought a NEX 5 instead (which I felt had better quality).

Was underwhelmed with the Nikon, especially the thickness of the entire cam. In the end, had to look for something else and picked the Fuji X10.

Both the V1 and J1 are a charm to use. Never seen a better LCD. Pics are very clear and sharp.
forget about the endless sensor size comparison, it's output is actually darn good.

Both the V1 and J1 are a charm to use. Never seen a better LCD. Pics are very clear and sharp.
forget about the endless sensor size comparison, it's output is actually darn good.

My new iphone is darn good too.

nikkie said:

LCD viewing, and prints requirement is not same right..

If you are printing say A3 size photos then V1 is not designed for such purpose. If say is 4R or even 8R, V1 might be capable enough. End of the day it is not everyone's camera...to me it is for people who wants a smaller backup of DSLR that has EVF, good af system and high fps. I think Nikon 1 is design with "speed" and "compact" in mind.

Got a V1 with dual zoom kit. Nice to use. Photo quality is good, about equivalent or better than a D200. ISO 800 is no issue at all. ISO 3200 is usable though not preferred. Can't compare it with top notch DSLR. The lens cap is so small that often feel like I am dropping it. Still learning the user interface and the different mode. Nikon should put in an option for the preview after shot (I normally turn preview off in my DSLR). EVF is very good. Like the convenience of able to take photo during a movie shot. And you can take photo or movie in either photo or movie mode. Pretty flexible. The other two modes seems not as useful. Slow motion movie need BRIGHT environment to use. Focus is generally good but sometimes will hunt during low light. Overall package is good. Expect it will be better when the 2nd generation body comes out.

Bought a J1 few weeks ago hardly got chance to use it due to heavy workload, generally the AF is fast and sharp, no chance to test in low light but a 10m pixel ccd i will expect more noises compared m4/3 and nex who had bigger ccd. Had seen the actual printout A4 size photo and the colour is stunning, i bought the FT-1 in KL and try some AFS lens, responsive enough. Do note that J1 battery not same as V1, J1 batt is ENEL20 while V1 same as D7000 type, forgot the model, nikon 1 is good compact camera for those who had F mount lens, my 2 cent