Will Canon 400mm f5.6l+600D works in "Mickey Live Festival"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJust came back from the event. Just realised no one cared about rules. A lot of people brought their camera inside and although they wrote there more than one years old strictly must have a seat, it was not enforced at all.

After the event and knowing the limitation of 400mm f5.6 (actually I bought it to shoot bird), I was thinking should I buy a 50mm/85mm f1.8 to shoot this kind of show next time. With the 3x digital zoom (no loss of quality from 600D) and 1.6x crop factor, it will become a 3X1.6X50mm=240mm f1.8 or 3X1.6X85=405mm f1.8. Too good to be true right?

omg, you sure are naive.

TS... first of all... lets talk technical...

What do you mean by 3x digital zoom? Do 600D have this type of thing? If that is the case, why would any lens manufacturer manufacture 400mm lens while anyone can just buy a 50mm lens that cost less than a quarter of the 400mm lens.

Secondly... lets talk moral...

There is a rule here. Don't care if anyone obey it or not. If you are going alone, fine... do whatever you want. If u want to bring ur kids along, please, show them the true value... instead of teaching them something like, no one bothers with rules, so you can heck care the rules too. God! what are you thinking?

But then again... it is your kids, you have all the rights in the world to educate them in whatever way u wanted... jeez.

Mine is also f/5.6 at 400mm mah... Use centre-weighted metering, ISO 800, maybe 1600. All ok. :)

1600 at 5.6 is relatively bright hahaha. if u count in the 1/focal length guide... its really bright at 1/400.

my guess is... will be hard to get shots. noisy images, blur might start to creep in hmm.
just enjoy the show:)

TS... first of all... lets talk technical...

What do you mean by 3x digital zoom? Do 600D have this type of thing? If that is the case, why would any lens manufacturer manufacture 400mm lens while anyone can just buy a 50mm lens that cost less than a quarter of the 400mm lens.

Secondly... lets talk moral...

There is a rule here. Don't care if anyone obey it or not. If you are going alone, fine... do whatever you want. If u want to bring ur kids along, please, show them the true value... instead of teaching them something like, no one bothers with rules, so you can heck care the rules too. God! what are you thinking?

But then again... it is your kids, you have all the rights in the world to educate them in whatever way u wanted... jeez.

But seriously I do not want to discuss with values in clubsnap. But just one comment, I feel that being too law-abiding is not a good thing.

For example, if you go to a buffet which says kids below 2 is free, would you volunteer to tell the manager that your kid is 2 years 2 days old and offer to pay $40 extra? Or in a remote place where there is no cars and people at all, would you wait for the traffic light to turn green before crossing? At least for me I will not.

Because I read in video mode, the camera will use only 1920x1080 and waste the rest. That why this digital zoom is lossless. This is what lunchbox the admin says at http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?42851-can-t3i-digitally-zoom-easily-on-the-fly-while-filming-and.... He may be wrong

Last edited:
But seriously I do not want to discuss with values in clubsnap. But just one comment, I feel that being too law-abiding is not a good thing.

For example, if you go to a buffet which says kids below 2 is free, would you volunteer your kid to tell the manager that your kid is 2 years 2 days old and offer to pay $40 extra? Or in a remote place where there is no cars and people at all, would you wait for the traffic light to turn green before crossing? At least for me I will not.

Because I read in video mode, the camera will use only 1920x1080 and waste the rest. That why this digital zoom is lossless.

Well... like I say, it is your kid, you have the right to bring them up in any way you want. I don't care a damn for that. Just that, your logic is seriously flawed as is in ur example.

In a buffet, your kid is 2 years 2 days or whatever months old, and the buffet clearly stated that below 2 years old is free, then legally, your kid are not free to eat there and must pay that S$40. But... if they say, 2years old and below eat for free... then of course your kid eat for free... because 2 years old is a coverage of the entire year... right up to 2 years 364days but below 3 years old.

And your example of the remote place with no cars and people is even more flawed.... and yes, I will wait for the green light before crossing. Because how the hell do you actually know that there really is no cars coming your way or if you are driving that there will not be someone rushing out? Do you know how many accidents had happen bcos people thought it is silly to follow the rules and something out of your expectation happen?

But you are right, don't discuss values in clubsnap... it would only make things look bad.

Technically... in video mode, you will only shoot at 1920x1080... there is no waste, because you will never ever be able to shoot at 18MP.

even if you can shoot at 18MP in video mode, you will not be able to stomach the video storage size.

even if you can shoot at 18MP in video mode, you will not be able to stomach the video storage size.
Actually cards are cheap. 32GB class 10 is selling for $70. 32GB can shoot around 80minutes in 1080p

You can only record for 20minutes in 1080p before your sensor become overheat (read your manual) and you need to let your camera rest... and no camera in the world is able to record at 18MP capability.

Actually cards are cheap. 32GB class 10 is selling for $70. 32GB can shoot around 80minutes in 1080p

right.

1920 x 1080 = 2.1MP
5184 x 3456 = 18MP

i'm sure you know how to do the math.
yes, no camera in the world is able to do 18MP in video mode but just to make my point here.

right.

1920 x 1080 = 2.1MP
5184 x 3456 = 18MP

i'm sure you know how to do the math.
yes, no camera in the world is able to do 18MP in video mode but just to make my point here.

Sorry I misread your post. Apologies.

tecnica said:
no camera in the world is able to do 18MP in video mode but just to make my point here.

Actually the RED cameras are able to do resolution up to 28k

Regarding the question on 3x crop on 600D, I did a test, with a standard zoom lens and telephoto prime lens. For the standard zoom lens, I used the 3x digital zoom to have almost the same focal length as the telephoto prime lens. I have taken a frame each from both video. Can you guess picture 1 or 2 is the one with 3x digital crop?

Pic 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28643266@N02/6127837372/
Pic 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28643266@N02/6127846284/

Actually IMHO, I think the difference in quality is quite small. Therefore, I still thinking about using 85mm f1.8 and turning it into 405mm f1.8

Last edited:
Image quality loss does not only revolves around cropping and such.

You have to look at the lens quality too, how well it is made and the quality of glass used.

One important aspect is the resolve-ability of the lens. Whether it can make out the details even when down to pixel size. Having used the 85/f1.8 for a while, I feel that it does not have good resolving power when focused at subjects some distances away and this is precisely what you wanna do.

You can test it for yourself, focus on subjects far away from you, say 50 to 70m away and do some pixel peeping, see how much detail is being captured.

I own a HS10, and the lens of HS10 only 4.2-120mm f5.6. But its effective focal length is 24-720mm and at 720mm it takes reasonably good video.

I think my thinking goes in the same line as how HS10 operates. I am merely changing HS10 120mm f5.6 with a prime 85mm f1.8.

Also, I remember reading some where that a APS-c sensor resolve better image than a FF with software crop. I hope I will not be flamed in this post. I am just hoping to learn what I do not understand.

I own a HS10, and the lens of HS10 only 4.2-120mm f5.6. But its effective focal length is 24-720mm and at 720mm it takes reasonably good video.

I think my thinking goes in the same line as how HS10 operates. I am merely changing HS10 120mm f5.6 with a prime 85mm f1.8.

Also, I remember reading some where that a APS-c sensor resolve better image than a FF with software crop. I hope I will not be flamed in this post. I am just hoping to learn what I do not understand.

You raised an interesting point there.
Basically to sum it up, you are interested in the field of view that you will end up with, and as long as your lens can resolve > 1920 x 1080, you're happy.

However, your calculation is a bit flawed.
Doing a comparison on the same body, the crop factor is irrelevant. An 85/1.8 lens with your '3x digital zoom' applied, would give you a FOV like a 255mm lens mounted on same camera but without digital zoom applied.
Whether the quality is comparable, I guess you are the best judge of that :)

You can only record for 20minutes in 1080p before your sensor become overheat (read your manual) and you need to let your camera rest... and no camera in the world is able to record at 18MP capability.

18MP not yet... but there is already something very close... 14MP full super HD recording... every frame has the quality of a DSLR frame. *drool*

http://www.red.com/products/epic

And hopefully, the next product will reach 18MP... :bigeyes:

18MP not yet... but there is already something very close... 14MP full super HD recording... every frame has the quality of a DSLR frame. *drool*

http://www.red.com/products/epic

And hopefully, the next product will reach 18MP... :bigeyes:

I checked and the kit cost US$58,000.

Will it be useful if I am in a concert (low light) which allows videography and I am far behind. Do you think my 135mm turned into "650mm f2" can record reasonably good footage? I have a 400mm f5.6l but it will record @ ISO 6400 which is usable. If my Maths is correct, my "650mm f2" will record in ISO 400 or 800.

I checked and the kit cost US$58,000.

Will it be useful if I am in a concert (low light) which allows videography and I am far behind. Do you think my 135mm turned into "650mm f2" can record reasonably good footage? I have a 400mm f5.6l but it will record @ ISO 6400 which is usable. If my Maths is correct, my "650mm f2" will record in ISO 400 or 800.

Not sure if you want to use the Red Epic-M to film Mickey Live...

The Epic-M is used for big screen film making. James Cameron bought 50 units and speculation is he is going to use these to film Avatar 2.

Read more here:
http://collider.com/james-cameron-red-epic-cameras-avatar-2/87822/

And a quick review of the camera:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/19/red.epic.cam.arrives.in.custom.builds/

And more coming... Epic 645 (at 60MP) and Epic 617 (261 MP!!!!!). See the entire line here: http://camerarentalz.com/scarlet-epic-dsmc-line/

Made in Singapore!!

Last edited:
For those who are interested, I shoot brick wall using the 3x digital zoom and my 17-70 sigma. IMO, the video quality is quite ok. I did not upload the 10sec video as the video is 250MB. But this snapshot is representative of quality as the snapshot is same as video quality.

z1UNi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.