Why we need Post Processing?

First, you must know why a DSLR can produce pictures of certain quality and why a PnS/toy camera can't.

Another question:

Can I use Photoshop/Lightroom to edit a photo taken by a cheap camera, let say cost SGD200, to achieve a DSLR-like quality? I know Photoshop is a magic tool. There's no "impossible" in its dictionary. If I were a Photoshop master, would it be possible? :think:
If so, then we can save a lot of money from buying expensive cameras and lens. Hmmmm...

Thanks for all the clarifications. Will learn DSLR and Photoshop further. It's a lifelong learning process. :cool:

In my opinion, post processing should be meant for point and shoot cameras with limited functions and capabilities. To achieve DSLR-like quality, certain post processing in Photoshop or Lightroom has to be done. What do you think? :think:

On the contrary, I won't post process photos from PnS coz they are in Jpg format.

Spending hours in doing post processing doesn't necessary guarantee that the pictures will turn out beautiful. One needs to have the right skill and knowledge in using tools like photoshop in order to achieve the ideal results. In my opinion, post processing is an art by itself and I don't quite agree that post processing should only meant for pictures produced by compact cameras.

I am actually looking at it this way; on top of all the expensive lenses, body, and other accessories, photoshop is just another tool to add on to the list of photography items for producing pictures that hold impact. And well, if I am in the mood of being a "pure-photographer", I will stick to the principle of not editing the photos, and then proudly declare its organic form. But if I suddenly feel like being a little creative, I will bring out my photoshop and start to apply the skill and knowledge to decorate my photos, and then proudly present it's new (and hopefully nicer) form. So I guess, I am sort of repeating what catchlights said: "It's about what you want".:)

:thumbsup:

I think it's the other way around. I buy DSLR because I can do better PP, not because I want to skip PP. DSLR gives more room for PP. I mean higher SNR, more resolusion. If the image is from cheap camera, I can't do much about it.

If we have a good DSLR with good lens and filters, why do we need post processing? Considering the huge money we have invested in DSLR and lens, is it worth to spend hours again in post processing to achieve the quality of photos like oil paintings? This is a question I always ask myself but I cannot find a good answer yet. :dunno:

In my opinion, post processing should be meant for point and shoot cameras with limited functions and capabilities. To achieve DSLR-like quality, certain post processing in Photoshop or Lightroom has to be done. What do you think? :think:

I agree that PP should be use for P&S with poorer image quality.

But sometimes, you need to remove an ugly lamp post but you don't want to be arrested for vandalism.

What should you do ? =====> PP to remove lamp post from picture.

For wedding photographers, they cannot force the bride to go for plastic surgery.

What should they do ? =====> PP to make bride more beautiful.

Last edited:
I think it's the other way around. I buy DSLR because I can do better PP, not because I want to skip PP. DSLR gives more room for PP. I mean higher SNR, more resolusion. If the image is from cheap camera, I can't do much about it.

Quite true. The size is bigger so you know where to crop or adjust in order to achieve the image you want.

Anyway, a badly-taken picture (eg. incorrect exposure, framing, shutter speed, aperture etc) cannot be resolved a hundred percent w photoshop. You will still need the proper techniques to do the right editing to the picture.

Its like, you wanna take a picture of the clouds but the clouds are super cmi that day (but you must still take) in terms of colour, so you adjust aperture to make sure you get the textures right in the picture. Then go home, photoshop and saturate the blue la... :bsmilie: If overexposure, even with loads of photoshopping, sure cannot bring out the clouds unless you practically replace the sky. Lol!

For wedding photographers, they cannot force the bride to go for plastic surgery.

CLONE STAMP TOOL (and the other "slimming" tool, cannot remember). Hahaha... Its like how Xiaxue and Dawn Yang ps their faces on their blogs. Thats why they always look better in pics than in person. :p

:bsmilie:

Yah, if u are a chef, the quality of the ingredient will determine the out come of ur dish so I think in Photoshop this should also be very important.

Last edited:
Quite true. The size is bigger so you know where to crop or adjust in order to achieve the image you want.

Anyway, a badly-taken picture (eg. incorrect exposure, framing, shutter speed, aperture etc) cannot be resolved a hundred percent w photoshop. You will still need the proper techniques to do the right editing to the picture.

Its like, you wanna take a picture of the clouds but the clouds are super cmi that day (but you must still take) in terms of colour, so you adjust aperture to make sure you get the textures right in the picture. Then go home, photoshop and saturate the blue la... :bsmilie: If overexposure, even with loads of photoshopping, sure cannot bring out the clouds unless you practically replace the sky. Lol!

What aperture should be used to captre the texture of the clouds?

If we have a good DSLR with good lens and filters, why do we need post processing?

No matter how good a DSLR and lens is, it will not selectively capture the beautiful eyes of a xmm minus the pimple that just happen to choose to erupt on the day that the picture was taken..

No matter how good a DSLR and lens is, it will not make the 30yo office colleague's skin appear smooth and fair when her face is in focus and completely recognizable.

Why need PP? If you wanna impress the xmm with your "superb" photography skills.

Why need PP? If you don't want to be accused of lousy photography skills for taking the ugly picture of your office colleague when all the camera does is to report the truth.. Or if you don't want to be hantam by your lady boss for making her look "uglier" than what she feel she really is (beautiful)..

Last edited:
If you spend so much time post processing. Do you still have time to take pic an do otehr stuff?

The average time I used to PP is 10-15sec.

What aperture should be used to captre the texture of the clouds?
The correct one that matches your shutter speed, your ISO setting and the exposure level you want to achieve. Magic settings don't exist. Read up about exposure basics, it's in the Newbies Guides.

TS: We need post-processing because the light capturing media (sensor, film) does not deliver an image that is immediately usable for viewing and printing. The exposed film needs processing, fixing and printing (or scanning). The data delivered by the camera sensor require RAW conversion to become a bitmap image. Due to the size of the file and since jpg is the standard format for Internet the camera will process the RAW file into a jpg file. Again: processing is done.
Now, not all people are happy with the standard processing the photo lab is doing, not everybody likes the standard processing that the cameras are doing (despite the possibility of influencing the process in the camera, check your manual). This is were 'external post-processing' starts - the usage of Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto .. you name it. It is the freedom to change the picture in the way you like it. If you are happy with in-camera processing then just skip the chapter "Photoshop", your choice :) It's not a must, it's 'also can'.

All I can say is:

Garbage in = Garbage out

Even though the garbage that comes out may not look as bad or smell as bad as the one that went in. But in the end garbage = garbage.

PP happens even in the old film days. Burn and dodge, color correction, pimple removal.. all happens in darkrooms.

PP also happens in other forms of art. Baking of certain art pieces, glazing, lacquering, painting, dyes...

Just that the tools available for PP now in the digital edge is so powerful, and it is available to everyone, that some people (Purists) start to think it is wrong.

Last edited:
Cos most of our photos suck that's why..happy now?;)

Post processing is just like adding favour to your food, like adding chilli/tomato/BBQ/curry sauce to your McDonald french fries......:bsmilie:

In my own opinion.

First, what is the real purpose for post processing or in my context using Photoshop?
To me, Photoshop is a tool to produce soemething out of your creativity. Creativity is the key word. Photoshop is not meant to produce better quality photos. Whatever photo u take with whatever camera, the quality is already there. Photoshop is a tool for your creativity such as doing some pop art, a nice mirror image, a different tone, to make a poster etc...

Thank you...