why still dslr

It is not about being pro or not. It has probably more to do with inadequacy of experience and skills if you cannot visualize your shot before it is taken.

And apart from the obvious differences between OVF and EVF, battery life is a big issue with cameras using EVF and liveview, as the main sensor needs to be on all the time. Not to mention heat from the sensor can cause a build up of noise.

actually quite agree with what you say.... I kinda like my fm2 more than my dslr. LOL. No batt needed except the metering which the batt usage most probably can outlast its own life.

But that said, sometimes the wysiwyg can a saver in "life/death" situation. Just like, say, comparing the state-of-the-art AF/advanced metering with that in a fm2.

Last edited:
Please refrain from this kind of comment if you have not viewed through a 100% OVF.....

He's not referring to the lack of a crop. He's referring to seeing what the sensor sees, including all exposure, whitebalance, effects, etc. That is far more "WYSIWYG" then a 100% OVF.

EVF can mimic exposure, WB, etc but its far from being accurate. Not surprise he didn't know that either actually.

Yes, but it's more accurate than an OVF. ;)

Yes, but it's more accurate than an OVF. ;)

ya, true. Those i tried seems to be quite accurate. Technology is amazing and is moving fast.

But on the other hand, over reliance on technology can be bad too. It can rob us of the other type of enjoyments. Like what i am having with my fm2 and doing printing in darkroom. LOL

BTBFM2 said:
actually quite agree with what you say.... I kinda like my fm2 more than my dslr. LOL. No batt needed except the metering which the batt usage most probably can outlast its own life.

But that said, sometimes the wysiwyg can a saver in "life/death" situation. Just like, say, comparing the state-of-the-art AF/advanced metering with that in a fm2.

Which is why having an OVF paired with liveview when needed is the best of both worlds, especially when you have a LCD hood in your kiy bag.

Well, between something mimic badly and not having it at all, I prefer the latter. If you shoot enough and be observant, you should be able to tell how the photos will turn out most of the time.

Mimic badly? What sort of EVFs have you been using?

I'm not really an EVF user, but probably this article explains the EVF behavior mentioned by some CSers here:

How does the Sony A77′s EVF handle high-contrast scenes? « W I L L I A M P O R T E R P H O T O G R A P H Y

Simply speaking;
- EVF shows the result it will give to photographer, after incorporating the applied camera settings
- OVF shows what the lens see & pass it to the photographer's eyes.

(EVF pros & bros out there please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:
I'm no pro, shoot for hobby, started off with mirrorless as my first ILC. sold it after 2 yrs and 'downgrade' to a camera with mirror. 1 major issue I don't like about mirrorless:

Battery life.

I need to bring 4 batteries for overseas trip, everyday can only charge 1 battery during night, sometimes can't even charge as on the move. I can only get 200+ shots per battery. But with old tech, 1 battery allows me to shoot till I forget, don't even bother to switch off after I took out from camera bag. No need bother about overheating too.

I'm no pro, shoot for hobby, started off with mirrorless as my first ILC. sold it after 2 yrs and 'downgrade' to a camera with mirror. 1 major issue I don't like about mirrorless:

Battery life.

I need to bring 4 batteries for overseas trip, everyday can only charge 1 battery during night, sometimes can't even charge as on the move. I can only get 200+ shots per battery. But with old tech, 1 battery allows me to shoot till I forget, don't even bother to switch off after I took out from camera bag. No need bother about overheating too.

bro, use fm2 lah. fully manual, no batt needed. LOL

Actually TS can use any camera he wants.
For personally will use OVF as EVF even the latest I have tried and decided that it is not good enough for my usage.

cool.

a war between EVF and OVF.

*popcorn*

why debate and put yourself on a pedestal. each type of VF has an advantage over the other in certain areas.

why make it sound as if there are absolutes?

cool.

a war between EVF and OVF.

*popcorn*

why debate and put yourself on a pedestal. each type of VF has an advantage over the other in certain areas.

why make it sound as if there are absolutes?

no absolutes lah. Just exploring potential possibilities only. remember that bro.
why must hv absolutes?? We play dslr, also can play film mah [fully manual], also play mirrorless .....just play and explore.... and always ask "why"...
that should be the spirit.
why must hv war???
does it mean that if one has a dslr, a manual slr, a mirrorless with evf at the same time, he is at war with himself??
come on....relax!

I'm not really an EVF user, but probably this article explains the EVF behavior mentioned by some CSers here:

How does the Sony A77′s EVF handle high-contrast scenes? « W I L L I A M P O R T E R P H O T O G R A P H Y

Simply speaking;
- EVF shows the result it will give to photographer, after incorporating the applied camera settings
- OVF shows what the lens see & pass it to the photographer's eyes.

(EVF pros & bros out there please correct me if I'm wrong)

the evf would most probably hv saved his first wedding overexposed shots. LOL

evf aka real-time close-loop feedback:cool:

Please refrain from this kind of comment if you have not viewed through a 100% OVF.....

folks here seems to hv a habit of assuming people have not done this... have not done that.......:sweat: