Why is making a spectacle could be so expensive in Singapore?

I was one of those that was rejected from doing Lasik..... :(

I was rejected yrs ago for 'cornea too thin', then yrs aft went to check again got newer technology liao so can do. :)

Dnt worry abt corrections in future lah, it's gonna b life changing..when old will have other worries lah..lol At most wear specs lor..

Last edited:
I have reservations about LASIK.

Question is what happens after 40 when hyperopia sets in?

The cornea is thinned during LASIK, hyperopia needs a thicker cornea to correct. You can't put back what was taken away. If your eye muscles can't work properly in a thicker regular corner, it's not likely to be able to cope with a thinner cornea. So how?

Never mind, it's a future problem we shouldn't think about now?

Hmm... There's another kind of surgery, contact lens implant... It's reversible and lesser side effects than lasik, but the price is much higher...

Last edited:
Hmm... There's another kind of surgery, contact lens implant... It's reversible and lesser side effects than lasik, but the price is much higher...

Contact lens implant like breast implant would make your eyes buldging up like gold fish. Very sexy for a female but not sexy for a male. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I was rejected yrs ago for 'cornea too thin', then yrs aft went to check again got newer technology liao so can do. :)

Dnt worry abt corrections in future lah, it's gonna b life changing..when old will have other worries lah..lol At most wear specs lor..

If you wear specs after doing Lasik your vision would be so powerful that you'll see through dress: :bsmilie:

nicole_kidman_on_the_red_carpet_in_a_seethrough_dress.jpg

Last edited:
Contact lens implant like breast implant would make your eyes buldging up like gold fish. Very sexy for a female but not sexy for a male. :bsmilie:

Whahaha, need to buy eye bras to support the sexy eyes?

Well, it's not a bad thing to be fully aware of the possible risks & long-term consequences, some of which may not be correctable with specs ;p

E.g.

LASIK clinical trials demonstrate that LASIK routinely leads to loss of visual quality and an increase in visual aberrations which are not correctable with glasses (higher order aberrations). Simply stated, patients generally do not see as well in dim light after LASIK as they did with their glasses. The FDA website warns that LASIK patients may develop debilitating visual symptoms that can seriously affect nighttime vision.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/long_term_issues.html
http://www.lasikcomplications.com/TopTenReasons.htm

Treating LASIK-Induced Aberrations
http://www.aao.org/publications/eyenet/200503/refractive.cfm

Like with any other medical procedure, gather enough info to make an informed decision that you are personally satisfied with.

Why and how would surgery risk be worth avoiding wearing glasses?

Am I missing something???

Both Lasik and contact lens implant are bad.

Nothing is missed... Just an alternative to wearing glasses...

Well... After thinking it through... These are some of the activities I wished I don't need to wear glasses...

3D movies
Theme park rides
Diving
Swimming
Snorkeling
Jogging
Using cameras

I did my Tag Heuer specs with lenses in JB (reputable shop) for about S$500 with intl warranty, 3 years ago. Using Essilor lens, one of the best I've used so far. No peeling and cracking like other lenses I've used before. It was abused a little, dropped several times in the washroom after shower, suffered a few knocks on the frame.

Only thing is, the rubber temple is quite worn out now. Ordered a replacement already.

Now Ringlet is cheaper, might be more worthwhile to get your specs in JB.

If you wear specs after doing Lasik your vision would be so powerful that you'll see through dress: :bsmilie:

nicole_kidman_on_the_red_carpet_in_a_seethrough_dress.jpg

If this is true... I am booking to do it!!!

LOL... :bsmilie:

I dunno.... to much unknown... and some eye doctor still wearing contact lens and did not do lasik.... I wonder why.... :think:

I tend to change the lenses once a year. As for the frame, depending on how badly beaten it is. The last I changed 2 years ago was the carbon fiber frame from Tag Heuer.

Mine was diagnose as having irregular cornea surface, whatever that means.... You are right that I could still have a chance to go for Lasik as the technology improves.

I tend to change the lenses once a year. As for the frame, depending on how badly beaten it is. The last I changed 2 years ago was the carbon fiber frame from Tag Heuer.

I change my lenses once every 3-4 years, or even longer..... that's why I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for all the additionals like hi index, transition, multi coating etc.

True there are risk, those w v high myopia shd consider. I was almost 900&600degrees, suddenly no nd specs/contacts is truly life changing..

Yah I'm now 6/6 bt kanna night vision problems, trying my wifes low degree specs fix it. But its not serious, though I wear her spec when go ict night shoot..lol

I change my lenses once every 3-4 years, or even longer..... that's why I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for all the additionals like hi index, transition, multi coating etc.

I think once you hit over a certain age, your vision will stabilized..... usually, the nose pad is the first to give way, and mine tend to have algae build up as I was it often....

They say when you hit 40.... your vision will improve slightly... due to long sightedness??? Dunno how true that will be....

Cost of spec or contact lens will be higher, but it is the risk of lasik that is the issue...

I have wore spec for almost 50 years. Sometimes I cannot remember if I am wearing it! Haha. LASIK helps for those with very high degree. Imagine the thickness of the glasses they wear. Not everyone can wear contact lens, I am one of those that can't.

Government should study why so many Singaporean need to wear spec and how to reduce it. Too much computer and smart phones? Too much glass buildings and the sun being reflected to us?

I have wore spec for almost 50 years. Sometimes I cannot remember if I am wearing it! Haha. LASIK helps for those with very high degree. Imagine the thickness of the glasses they wear. Not everyone can wear contact lens, I am one of those that can't.

Government should study why so many Singaporean need to wear spec and how to reduce it. Too much computer and smart phones? Too much glass buildings and the sun being reflected to us?

Studies have shown hat exposure to sunlight causes the body to release a chemical that slows down the elongation of eyeballs which causes myopia. Trials on Atropine eye drops seems promising in controlling myopia progression. But it's too late for people like you and me. Now I can't wait to get cataract to that I can use ICT to correct my eyesight :cool: