Why can't we wear shorts to the office?

1) Your links refer to Australia. In case you didn't notice: this forum is from Singapore and therefore, certain topics are not visible / applicable here based on a heap of reasons (which I hope I don't need to explain further)
2) You missed the somewhat ironic tone of all the postings you have linked.
3) There is little need to turn a fashion trend into some general discussion about equal rights or discussion of office attire. Fashion comes and goes. Sometimes it stirs up emotions to a high level (google about the history of bikini or mini skirt). In case of the shorts: please have a look at sports pictures of the 80s, especially soccer. You will see the same shorts that you now ask for.
4) Ask your boss / HR what is suitable and accepted as office attire. They pay your salary (*hint*). If you can't stand this dependency then it's best to become your own boss (that's your free right that nobody denies you). Then you might see the direct and unfiltered impact on your wallet whether your shorts are accepted by your clients or not.
5) I have personally seen the side effects on men when women come to office in short skirts and other dresses that clearly belong to the evening hours. It definitely does not serve any good purpose.
6) It is possible to wear shorter and more relaxed pants in office, depending on the nature of your job and the general policies in your company. I had this in Germany and it was perfectly fine. But it was none of those types you have linked in your posting.
So far in all the offices i worked in i see no detrimental effects on the women who come in in short skirts+tank tops,short dresses,or even the occasional shorts.The only detrimental effect i can envision is the rules refusal to allow,which the women dont seem to be restricted by.
I surmised that singapore isnt a closed door country,and is actually influenced by outside practices,of the major nations,that is why i brought in those links despite they being outside singapore.If it applies in those first world countries it could apply here too.I dont quite see what irony is there in the links i have pasted over.It just seems like a pure support for shorts among men.

So far in all the offices i worked in i see no detrimental effects on the women who come in in short skirts+tank tops,short dresses,or even the occasional shorts.The only detrimental effect i can envision is the rules refusal to allow,which the women dont seem to be restricted by.
In other words: just because those women obviously can wear all the short things you want to be entitled to do the same? Things that are wrong remain wrong, even if you are the only one left doing the right stuff.
I surmised that singapore isnt a closed door country,and is actually influenced by outside practices,of the major nations,that is why i brought in those links despite they being outside singapore.If it applies in those first world countries it could apply here too.I dont quite see what irony is there in the links i have pasted over.It just seems like a pure support for shorts among men.
Singapore is influenced by external factors, but remains darn conservative on many other aspects. Please have a look at death penalty, same sex practices (not even mentioning marriages or adoption), single mothers and others.
Secondly: I can tell you clearly that not all countries that you would consider 'First World' support your idea of shorts in office. SO it would be good for you stop your generalizations and look into details. Whatever they do in down-under does not apply automatically to other countries, regardless of region, culture or development label.
Last but not least: just because you don't recognize irony does not mean there is none. It is known that certain cultures have no understanding for irony - although this forum shows that this general statement is slowly becoming invalid for Singapore. Well, at least that's one point where Singapore follows the external influences that you mentioned.
Please, wear your shorts wherever you like, I'm not going to stop you. It's your freedom of expression after all. But respect those who have a different view on naked thighs and don't create a gender issue.

Conservative?Yeah right,in their allowance for female leg exposure,but still aversive to that of men's?Hypocrisy much?Just because the western nations have long accepted the myraid of women's fashion at work,but have only just began to consider that of men's?No matter how u say it,it seems like singapore is following their footsteps,abeit a few steps behind.And what i intended was for the people here to see some supportive arguments regarding this,i dont see how it has to be so "closed",to just include local examples.Singapore is a small nation and hence would lack ample examples to bring up upon,especially on an idea that has still not yet been fully accepted.
I beg your pardon,but u havent seem to have explained why those articles contained the irony u claim.U interpreted it as irony;however i have read them and see no irony.If u are unable to tell me exactly wherein the irony lies,i guess we just have to accept that we have different ways of seeing things.
Respect those with a different view on naked thigh?thats irony,since it seems every single one of them seem to have accepted that,at least on women,but just not on men.And i dont know where u have been living,but i assure u young women take their privileges of exposure very seriously;both in and out of work,u can see it everywhere.So maybe we can start respecting it as a rights of both genders rather than one?
I dont like creating gender issues,and have long tried to avoid seeing it as one,but the fact is that,it kind of is.The demographics for this situation is heavily skewed to one side.Leg exposure and acceptance of alternatives form of fashion at work isnt on the same parity as death sentencing and homosexual issues,just to remind u

Last edited:
Demo

Short-Length-4001.jpg

Real life

42760-bikini-ironing-day-hairy-legs.jpg

I'd like to see that when it happens. Although the shorts in the first picture looks like it's a short that would be worn for school.

I'd like to see that when it happens. Although the shorts in the first picture looks like it's a short that would be worn for school.

Well,ive seen young female staff dress in a way somewhat akin to japanese or american secondary school uniforms,so a school uniform look really shouldnt be that disagreeable,for young male staff like fresh graduates and interns.Maybe if its shorts could make it black to emphasize the corporate formality.