Why a pentax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
mountainhill, you mentioned that at JPEG level, Pentax has a different approach from its competition - how? And more info about the noise levels, please! Cheers! =)

Well, I'm just a beginner in DSLR, but I read a lot of reviews, forums, etc. to learn more.
From there, I understand that Pentax applies only small amount of noise reduction in its JPEG, even at its highest NR setting (strong NR). This results in more detail preservation, however more noise. The competitions thus far take different approach, more NR, resulting in cleaner image, but smeared details.
IMO, we can try to reduce the noise by software, however the lost details are lost.

I assume you understand that digital sensor will actually produce RAW data, which will then be converted by the camera into image format (JPEG, sometimes TIFF, etc.).

regards,
Shan

Aiyoh, i didnt do a cost-benefit study when i chose Pentax. I joined the brand cos i felt the folks here are extra friendly and super fast in answering my newbies queries. :bsmilie:

Now, after six months of using the brand and mingling with the folks here, I have learned a lot and improved, thanks to the tips and assistance from them.

We even have an award winner here using the brand (stand up, brother Night86mare!) and thanks to him i not only learned about photography but the working of the net as well.

As you are still new, why dont you browse through the other thread in the Pentax forum and see the working of forumers like creampuff, hbyeo and draw a more perspective conclusion.

If you asked me "Why Pentax?"

• Value for money for its cameras & lenses
  • Friendly and supportive community
  • Backward and forward compatibility of lenses

after careful research...i actually got myself a sony..am enjoying photography nonetheless..its the person behind the camera overall....but i wish i had the cash for a pentax...the weatherproofing could have been handy..

after careful research...i actually got myself a sony..am enjoying photography nonetheless..its the person behind the camera overall....but i wish i had the cash for a pentax...the weatherproofing could have been handy..

A sony? and "cash for a pentax"? i didn't know that pentax got into that price range! :think:

A200 requires less cash than a Pentax equivalent? Perhaps not so for Total Cost of Ownership. Anyway, wish u progress on your photography.

Sometimes i feel the Brand chooses the photographer.

Be Interesting

Although it's sad to know that they are taking the price-hike.

Seems like being interesting is gonna be costly soon..

A200 requires less cash than a Pentax equivalent? Perhaps not so for Total Cost of Ownership. Anyway, wish u progress on your photography.

Sometimes i feel the Brand chooses the photographer.

Be Interesting

thanks!!
nah..there were more variables...i'm growing to love the legacy minolta lenses...drawn to them...:)

maybe if i have the cash...i'll invest in the Carl Zeiss too..

but there is no rule that sony and pentax people cant mix..heee

at least i didnt get a canon or nikon...how interesting would that make me if i got that?hehehehe

did careful research..really...tried Olympus, Pentax, Sony..it wasnt bought on impulse..

Last edited:
I was a long time Minolta user (XE, XK Motor, SRT-303, SRT-101, XD-7, XD-5, XG-9, X-700, X-500, 7000, 700Si, CLE) as well as a Nikon user during 35mm film days. After the problems with Minolta and the subsequent merger with Konica, I saw the writing on the wall and switched briefly to Nikon. With Sony taking over Konica Minolta, I almost bought the A100 when it first came out but thank God I steered clear. :sweat:

Now I'm fully Pentax... I've been saved... (money of course)... woo hoo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.